Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 10:20:14 PM EDT
I am hoping one of you computer gurus can help here.

What do I need to look for if - when I have several computers assigned to the same work group on a LAN - some of the computers cannot see each other in "network neighborhood"? I am trying to get some shered folders and printers set up and can't overcome this simple hurdle.

Help!!!

FWIW, some are WIndows '95 and some Windows '98.

Thanks,

Adam
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Gloftoe,

Your method worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I second that - I was able to access the needed file. While the 'puters still won't show, I made a shortcut on the desktop to make it soldier proof.

Gloftoe - you are DA MAN!

Adam
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I see this a lot too.  Does anyone know a cheap and easy fix so they will all be able to browse for eachother?  Win2k & win98 & NT
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Aaaa this is actually fairly simple.

1. Make sure they are the computers are useing the same protocol (TCP/IP or IPX or Netbui). Recommend only using one protocol (pick one).

2. Make sure all the machines are in the same workgroup. Sometimes you have to remove a the machines from a workgroup, then back again. You shouldn't have to, but for some reason it works. Also when joining the workgroup, make sure you spell and capitolize the same way each time. Again, you shouldn't have to, but for some reason it works.

You should be good to go.

One thing to keep in mind, if the all the machines are shut down at night and fired back up in the morning. You may not browse the workgroup for a bit. The reason is when a machine is fired up (and all are 95, 98) an election is initiated to see who will be the "browse master". Then when one machine is elected, it takes a bit for the other machines to register. Now if you have an NT/2000/XP machine sitting there, it always wins as the browse master.

There are registry tweaks that can be made to set one machine to always be the browse master. Go to MS support and look it up, if you are inclined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top