Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 4:24:36 PM EDT
just purchased a 1989 NC30 with only 3000 km/s on the clock from performance motorcycles in
manchester, uk.  it's minty despite it's age.  it was broken down in manchester, shipped in 2 seperate shipments and i'm having it reassembled by a local shop.  last i heard, which was earlier today it was finished.  hope to take a look at it soon.

[img]http://www.docsarah.demon.co.uk/Vfr_far.jpg[/img]

This is my first motorcycle, perfectly sized for my smaller stature.  My next bike will be a suzuki gsxr600, prolly an older model like a 98 or 99.  Anyone have a GSXR600?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That's cool! I wish they would sell some of the smaller displacement sport bikes in the states.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Aimless, I've ridden a number of NC30's in the UK and they are definately comparable to a CBR600 in the low end up to top speed but quicker in turns.  NC30's can hold their own against any 600cc class race bike in a short wavy street course.

I "skirted" a vehicle importation by having it broken down, hehe.  I will put the word out to the AR15.com army that I need a contact with someone with any state dmv.  I will register it for off road in friendly state, wait a few months and have it inspected and get the title transfered to road with some luck to texas registration.  Then I will sell it for a nice profit and get a 1992 NC30 from Nippon.  I have a good contact in the UK who buy's grey imports from Japan.  I'm looking for a cherry 1992 black/red VFR400 all factory spec with less than 5,000 miles and then i'll get a Suzuki GSXR600 for commuting to work (a good 30 minute drive)
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
first motorcycle huh?
listen to me....I'm serious.
Take the MSF course.It will teach you important skills needed (like stopping) and whatnot.One of the best things I've ever done was take that test.I had to fall first before realizing I should have taken the MSF course before.Take the course!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
What you have there is known as a "grey market" vehicle and you are now a "grey market" vehicle importer.

In certain states it's not hard to liscense a non-USA made vehicle, in other states it's next to impossible.

Most states DMV's just want the money to cover the costs of registration and (if your state collects vehicle cost taxes through the DMV) the tax money.

Your first problem will be with the VIN number. Euro and Jap bikes don't use the same format for VIN's that the US does.

The next problem (if your state requires some sort of a DMV / Department of Safety inspection) is that your headlight, taillight, turn signal and brake lines are not marked "DOT Approved".
Federal law requires this marking.

The third problem (only if you get caught) is the fact that you paid no import fees or duty on the bike.

I don't know about Texas, in Kalifornication (this is amazing) you can register a (example) Kawasaki KX 500 (two stroke dirt bike) for the street. There is a shop in San Diego that sells a kit that includes DOT approved lights, horn turn signals and brake lines. Take your bike to a CHP station, show that it is "legal" and get the form signed by the CHP and take it to the DMV.
On the other hand as of 2000 it's illegal to register an off-road bike for street use in Washington State.

One word of caution:
If you are in the DFW area you "may" want to make sure the bike is 100% legal.
One of the Texas based motorcycle roadracing clubs had a BIG problem about 2 years ago with the DFW police and the Texas Dep. of Safety. Some members were using hot bikes and hot bike parts to race with, they busted everyone at a couple of races who could not produce identification for their bikes.

That bike you have is sweet, but don't let anyone fool you, it will get flat out smoked by any 600 sport bike (GSXR, CBR, ZX or R6) made since 2000. It might be able to hold its own in tight corners, but on the open road it's still just a 12 year old 400.

One other problem you may have is the fact that "authorized" Honda dealerships will not even touch any honda bike that has been grey market imported. American Honda will tell you to contact the market where it was imported from.
There are a couple of websites that deal in grey market import bike parts.

Nice bike!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
first motorcycle huh?
listen to me....I'm serious.
Take the MSF course.It will teach you important skills needed (like stopping) and whatnot.One of the best things I've ever done was take that test.I had to fall first before realizing I should have taken the MSF course before.Take the course!!!!!!
View Quote

Good advice!!!

Nice looking bike, I've always loved these early Honda sports with single-sided swingarm. I was disappointed back when these little machines were set to hit the streets in the UK and found out we wouldn't be seeing them on the showroom floors here in the states...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got one. 00 600. Yellow/black. It's a kick in the pants. My 4th bike. I still get butterflies just thinking about riding it. Wanting to sell it now for a more streetable bike. (Jessy James) We have a local race track that is cheap to ride on, and worth every penny. Take the MSF course, then after you have about 5000 miles under your belt, take the CLASS Motorcycle school. They will teach you how to ride safely and race. Vary fun. Just remember to keep the racing on the track, not the street. You will live longer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got one. 00 600. Yellow/black. It's a kick in the pants. My 4th bike. I still get butterflies just thinking about riding it. Wanting to sell it now for a more streetable bike. (Jessy James) We have a local race track that is cheap to ride on, and worth every penny. Take the MSF course, then after you have about 5000 miles under your belt, take the CLASS Motorcycle school. They will teach you how to ride safely and race. Vary fun. Just remember to keep the racing on the track, not the street. You will live longer.
View Quote

Jesse James is "streetable."  Have you seen the look of pain on his rider's faces?  Built for looks, NOT for comfort.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea, but they are so cool. I wouldn't be able to afford one yet anyway. But I can dream can't I? For now, looking to sell my curent ride and get an Aprilia Falco, or Honda Interceptor. Aslo looking for a dirt ride. (Honda XR400R)
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What is Jessy James?

The paint is tatty on the bike but I plan to have it resprayed black.  How much do motorcycle paint jobs go for these days?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Jesse James builds custom bikes; think of what a Harley gang would ride if they had $50,000 to drop into their ride. Nice looking bikes, myself I want comfort when I ride.

Rrotz, nice looking bike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top