Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 3:52:03 PM EDT
If the world were coming to and end and there was no chance of survival, would you want to know or just go out instantly?  Let's think of the asteroid collision theory.  Just keep in mind that your survival probability is zero.  

Would you want the government to inform the public or do you think it would cause more harm than good?  Hoolywood dictates we would have a weeks notice or so.  Keep this simple folks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell yeah I would want to know. Especially if it was for sure that everyone was going to die.

Do you have any idea how many machineguns you could slap together in a week?

I'd want to go out with a [b]BANG![/b][uzi]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Now think about this: Govt. comes out and says: "In three days an asteroid 8 miles wide is going to hit the planet. Goodbye."

3 days later the asteroid misses by a few thousand miles (VERY VERY VERY close).

Now you still have to pay all those pesky credit card bills!

Doh!

Av.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now think about this: Govt. comes out and says: "In three days an asteroid 8 miles wide is going to hit the planet. Goodbye."

3 days later the asteroid misses by a few thousand miles (VERY VERY VERY close).

Now you still have to pay all those pesky credit card bills!

Doh!

Av.
View Quote

Where the hell would you be able to go to even use your credit cards? I can guarantee you that if the world was going to end next week I sure as hell wouldn't show up for work anymore. I doubt anybody else would either.

That's why you need to stock up on ammo [b]NOW![/b][uzi]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell yes I would want to know.  The world would go completely nuts, and I would want to see it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's why you need to stock up on ammo [b]NOW![/b][uzi]
View Quote

You mean you [i]haven't[/i]?
View Quote

No, I said, "that's why [b]YOU[/b] need to stock up on ammo now!". I've been waiting on the announcement for years.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be ready Raf. As soon as you hear the announcement just make a beeline to North Texas and I'll have the machineguns all nice and warmed up for ya!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
uh, you don't work for the government, do you? I mean, do you have something to tell us?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Depending on the strike pattern, your invite here is open as well.  BTW, I'm 150' ASL, on an island with a military base.

View Quote

hmmm, sounds like Newport!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
i would like to have a vacation from all responsabilities, so i would definately want to know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, I can't think of anyone who [u]wouldn't[/u] want to know. Death is one of the things that all human beings must face, but no human being knows the exact truth about.

I would get my last rites, spend every minute with the Mrs. until that point and be outside, ready for anything, with a big mug of peppermint tea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Man, I can't think of anyone who [u]wouldn't[/u] want to know. Death is one of the things that all human beings must face, but no human being knows the exact truth about.

I would get my last rites, spend every minute with the Mrs. until that point and be outside, ready for anything, with a big mug of peppermint tea.
View Quote

I tend to agree. I'd want to get my things in order for whatever comes next.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I would definitely want to know...I would go to the Grand Canyon with my family and spend our last days together, camping out there.
However, the fact is, the only asteroids large enough to totally destroy the Earth are in the main Belt, and it would take a VERY drastic act to send one towards Earth.
A more likely scenario for the end of all life on the planet would be some irregularity in the sun that would sterilize the planet through massive radiation, and even then there would be the possibility of survival for some if they could get deep enough underground.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup, I'd need enough time to get to my underwater base where my fellow Atlanteans would whisk me off to Atlantis...

[:P]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd only want to know if it was somehow brought to only my attention, and not the general public.

Letting everyone know would be chaos and anarchy, the likes of which we've never imagined. I have no interest in spending my final days fighting off mass crime.

However, if I were to find this out, I would definately spend my final days far different than if I knew nothing, that's for damn sure.

The thought of dying under circumstances that couldn't be avoided doesn't bother me as much as dying, knowing nothing, and spending my final days stuck in traffic or stuck in line somewhere in the rat race.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top