Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 12:58:23 PM EDT
I have a gateway essential 866 P3 and would like to get a great video card for game playing. I would like one with good speed and graphics. I have no idea what to get. Also what good military games are good to get? Like simulation, aircraft and blowing things up. Thanks a lot Jay
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
if you have the money get a GE FORCE 3 card.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Your might want to open up your Piece of Shi+ computer to see if it has a onboard video card.
If it does, make sure it has an extra AGP slot, cause if it doesn't your suck with a Geforce 2 PCI, which still isn't that bad of a card.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your might want to open up your Piece of Shi+ computer ...
View Quote

now that's uncalled for.

however, you do bring up a good point about slots on the motherboard.  Geforce 3 is a very good choice if you have an agp slot. Consult your motherboard/computer owners manual for compatability issues.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, even looking up the stats on the internet it will obviously show that you have an AGP-based video card, but it could possibly be one that's soldered to the motherboard.

If it's soldered to the motherboard, then the GeForce 2 MX PCI is best one you can choose.

If you have an AGP slot, then the GeForce 3 is quite a bit faster than the GeForce 2-based cards.  There's a "GeForce 4" in the works, but may be a number of months before it's released.

The ATI RADEON 8500 is getting good reviews, but I haven't worked with that card.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an extra GeForce2 MX 32mb AGP graphics card I'm selling.

I'll sell it to you if your interested. I'll give you a 30 day money back deal.

I've played lots of games on it, they all  work great. No problems.

Email me if your interested.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
EBAY
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Buttocks Blaster model SUX2000

Tight...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
First see if you have an AGP slot, and if your video card is onboard video.

If you have an AGP slot, get a Geforce 3 if you can afford it, otherwise Best Buy is selling 64meg Geforce 2 cards for $99.

Remember to disable the onboard video when before you install your new card, otherwise you might be staring at a black screen after the BIOS check.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I upgraded from an NVidia TNT2 to a NVidia Gforce3 Ti200 - HUGE difference.  Way, way faster.  The Ti500 is a bit (10%) faster, but a lot more money than the Ti200

Go to [url]www.nvidia.com[/url] and look up the graphics cards.  Under that, there is an ANALYZE MY PC that will tell you what % of performance increase you will get.

Radeon 8500 is expensive, fast, and is having some driver problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top