Author
Cowboy, Astronaut, Millionaire
Posted: 4/24/2009 5:53:01 PM
Are there any alternatives to zoysia grass? I have some bare spots in my backyard, mostly from grubs, and a few from the dogs. I can't put down soil & seed, as the dogs will dig it up. I can't put down Scott's Patchmaster (which I use in the front), because the dogs will dig it up and possibly eat it.

Zoysia plugs are a compelling option, but Nebraska is a questionable area for it in terms of climate. My lawn also borders my neighbor's yard, and I don't want to take over her lawn with zoysia.

Sod is an option, I guess, but it's a bit expensive and time consuming.

Are there any other species of creeping grasses that work like zoysia?
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the NE Firearms Owners Association. www.nefirearm.com
strat81
Cowboy, Astronaut, Millionaire
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/24/2009 8:43:57 PM
Bump.
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the NE Firearms Owners Association. www.nefirearm.com
FLAL1A
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/24/2009 8:45:27 PM
I went with with bare dirt and sandspurs. Coming along right nicely.
Psychopolitician 003
Radio_Silence
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/24/2009 9:59:00 PM
Bermuda is a warm season grass like Zoysia. Should also be much more durable than Zoysia as it grows very aggressively.

If it was me, and I was living in NE, I would just reseed the entire yard with Tall Fescue. Would work better with the climate.
FordGuy
DELIVERED.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/24/2009 10:05:28 PM
Ky 31 fescue is my favorite. next is centipede grass fo rmy area. never plant bermuda..it is invasive....i WISH I could grow zoisia here.
Sure, you can have them all. One round at a time.
A-Rob
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/24/2009 10:39:53 PM
I like Centipede. I have that godawful Bahaia grass here in FL and I'm slowly replacing it with Centipede. It is easy to establish from seed if it's watered twice a day for a month, and plugs are great too, if you have time to wait. Centipede also doesn't like much fertilizer, which is a plus. Forget Bermuda. I've got a ton of it that I'll be killing off this year with a generic version of Poast. The Bermuda takes too much care to look nice and spreads everywhere.
[NO TEXT]