Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 9:40:50 AM EDT
Ah yes.  About once a year I get called for jury duty.  Every time the case is dropped for whatever reason.  I have yet to be interviewed.  What do they expect and whom will interview me?  How truthful is one expected to be concerning personal factors, i.e. voluntering information?  Do they only care if you are a good member of society?  thanks  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have only served as a juror in Federal court. The kind of questions they asked.

Are you in law enforcement?
Do you know the judge, any of the attorneys, or the defendant? If so how.

Sometimes they will seat you in the jury box. Then the attorneys take turns kicking jurors off. They can do this for any reason, maybe they don't like your haircut. Alternates are selected. More are kicked off. The attorneys will have some basic info about you while they do this. Age, sex, race, married, children, etc.

Thats about it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I too get picked about once a year and the case it always dismissed. I still looking forward to the day I get to be kicked off!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I was called to jury duty about a year ago.

The questions I recived were: Have you ever been in a car accident, and have you ever known anyone who has been in a car accident?

I was in a car accident about 3 years ago, so I was asked to leave. Still got paid for showing up though...

Not quite sure what type of info you think they will be asking for. All depends on the case.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never been called.I signed up to be a registared voter on my birthday.I've voted in every election.Maybe they know I'm informed,and that why they dont call me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Here in North Carolina if you are called to jury duty you name is removed from the pool of jurors for 2 years.  That gives you a little break, at least.  I have been called 3 times, and I only served on a jury the first time.  They asked questions about if you know anyone connected to the case (defendent, lawers, judge, LEO's, etc.)  If you or a relative ever been involved with an incident simular to what is being tried.  Questions of that nature.  The first time I was called I ended up on a 2nd degree murder trial.  Very interesting!  The other times both cases were setteled just before the jury selection process.  The judge told us that we have fulfilled our duty and dismissed us.  As for being called for jury duty, it seem to be a matter of luck.  My Dad has only been called once, and my Mom has never been called, and she wants to be called!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I got called in to serve back in 99. The lawyers for the case (civil suit about a slip and fall on private property) asked us questions about if we knew certain doctors, lawyers; have we ever been injured in the same place and did we know the defendant/plaintiff. Some people who stated things like I can't ever see awarding money or I don't believe in Slip and fall judgments were asked to leave. The lawyers made a real effort to pick jurors who didn't mind being there. No lawyer wants to have a Juror who will constantly be trying to rush a decision.As a bonus in my county you don't have to serve on a Jury more than once every 5 years.
The case went on for 5 days, as an alternate juror I didn't get to have a say in the verdict but I was happy to serve. If more smart people served on juries maybe more criminals would be behind bars. The legal system would move a lot faster and maybe just maybe SMARTER people wouldn't let the courts and lawyers legislate us out of The Second Amendment.

JerrY
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you should tell them the truth, but don't volunteer anything.

It is really important that everyone serve on a jury, to see how the system actually works.  What you see on the television and movies is pure entertainment, but you are in the jury box, things get interesting real fast. You will be in the "bowels" of democracy.

Some folks wonder why some people get off, because it is in the jury instructions.  It is the critical piece that they don't show on tV.

I served on a jury that put away a crack cocaine dealer for life(his 3rd strike), it was no fun to consider. The guy was only 26.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone should read this.

The court officials will not normally make you aware of your rights as a juror.  But you should know what they are.

[url]http://www.fija.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Jury Duty is easy to get out of.  Just tell them that you want to see someone fry and you dont care who.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The Caliban has summoned me six times since I turned 18.  (I'm presently 43.)  Served on two civil cases and one criminal.

Getting kicked off a jury panel is as easy as falling off a log.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, read FIJA.  Here's the link to their basic brochure:
[url]http://www.fija.org/torf.pdf[/url]

If you want to serve on a jury, don't mention that you've read it (or even heard of FIJA).

If you don't want to serve on a jury, take copies with you to the courthouse and hand them out to the other prospective jurors as a public service.  Be aware that lawyers and judges get SERIOUSLY pissed when people do this. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I get full pay from work if I go on a jury.  Of course I never do.  Closest I got was on one case the defendents lawyer(DUI case) asked if anyone had experience drawing blood, I said yes and got booted.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to go next month. 3rd time I have been called so far.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top