Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
4/25/2017 7:42:44 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2002 12:12:53 PM EDT
Check it out. Wife dragged me to church this weekend. She says I embarrased her by asking the pastor why Noah and everyone who came before him lived so long (900 + years). The long lives seem to have stopped after the great flood. I says to her I says.... Listen, you dragged me there against my will, and I had some questions....you want me to be a good christian right? How do you expect me to spread the good news if I am confused about certian things, eh? Wouldn't you get tired of living after 300-400 years?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:16:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:20:45 PM EDT
I just know Garandman will be along with the answer shortly ...... 'Til he gets here, though, I'd guess it's the same reason Paul Bunyan was fifty feet tall; good ol' bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 12:24:19 PM EDT by satcong]
Originally Posted By Celt: I'd guess it's the same reason Paul Bunyan was fifty feet tall; good ol' bullshit.
View Quote
Hee-hee, hehehehe [;)][}:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:28:37 PM EDT
I asked the same question to a Jehova's Witness once. (I know I can't spell). He's said the long life span was attributed to the fact that people back then were closer to God. God even talked to people back then Man's corruption over the years is what caused the lifespan to shink. Personally I think everyone was bored as shit without modern entertainment, and time just seemed to pass by more slowly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:34:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:36:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha: I've seen a theory that relates their longevity to the amount of moisture in the air...the same moisture that came down during the flood. The theory was basically that all the moisture blocked out the UV radiation which is one cause of aging. After the flood, the moisture was gone, and the longevity of people declined rapidly. I even saw a chart once of when all the biblical people lived, along with their estimated ages...the graph plummets immediately after the flood.
View Quote
Great. All I need is one more reason to stay in my sheltered chair in front of the computer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:41:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 12:44:21 PM EDT by garandman]
Originally Posted By Celt: I just know Garandman will be along with the answer shortly ...... 'Til he gets here, though, I'd guess it's the same reason Paul Bunyan was fifty feet tall; good ol' bullshit.
View Quote
Celt - Easy there funny man....[:D] Well, since no one was there, any answer is speculative. But without getting into ALL the messy details, here's the most likely scenario. At Creation, the world was surrounded by a vapor canopy (Gen. 1:6) that shielded the earth from the harmful UV rays of the sun. People lived longer, and healthier. Animals and people grew to much larger sizes. (Gen. 6:4) When the flood occurred, the vapor canopy was destroyed, actually contributing to the amount of water that flooded the earth. (Gen. 7:11) Since then, life expectancies have dropped markedly, with actually an increase in life expectancy in the last 50-100 years with recent medical advances. Anywho, there ya go. Hope i haven't diappointed Celt and my other groupies with my answer. [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:45:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:47:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha: Oh great...Garandmand's theory agrees with mine. I think the world is coming to an end [:D]
View Quote
[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:48:05 PM EDT
Here's my answer: The bible is all made up, just like the Koran and every other tome that has come to have way too much meaning and influence on the people of the world.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:48:07 PM EDT
Hope i haven't diappointed Celt and my other groupies with my answer.
View Quote
You have never, ever, disappointed me, G-man.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:50:08 PM EDT
The bible is all made up, just like the Koran and every other tome that has come to have way too much meaning and influence on the people of the world.
View Quote
Cool...that's two for my theory and two for the magical disappearing vapor. Who's keeping score?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:58:27 PM EDT
"I even saw a chart once of when all the biblical people lived, along with their estimated ages...the graph plummets immediately after the flood." If you look at the layers of sediment, there actually was a HUGE flood way back then. Whether or not God caused it is open to debate. Sorry to poke holes in your UV theory, but I don't think that is a major cause of aging (maybe to skin, but not your metabolism). A recently discovered major contributor is the binding of sugars and starches to tissue. Another major cause is the oxygen we breath. A certain portion of it naturally occurs in an excited state which is very destructive to hour bodies. Many of our metabolic processes exist to combat this damage. This is a source of radicals which you've probably heard about before. I'm not Christian, but I can see your quandry satcong. I think you need to take parts of the Bible with a grain of salt. In my opinion it should be accepted not as a book of facts, but rather as a collection of parables to help lead a moral life. Lets face it, the Noah story is totally implassible, yet it contains lessons.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 1:03:33 PM EDT by stcyr]
So, G-D et al, I guess those South American indians – who live in the extreme humidity of the rainforest, beneath a canopy that all but eliminates U.V. rays – must be what? Say, an average of about 600-700 years old eh?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:59:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:04:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: But without getting into ALL the messy details, here's the most likely scenario. At Creation, the world was surrounded by a vapor canopy (Gen. 1:6) that shielded the earth from the harmful UV rays of the sun. People lived longer, and healthier. Animals and people grew to much larger sizes. (Gen. 6:4)
View Quote
So if we all stay indoors away from those deadly accurate UV rays we should become gigantic immortal beings? I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 1:11:55 PM EDT by Gunplay]
LMAO! Wow the bible colleges must really be working overtime. UV RAYS? What about heart failure? That don't got nothing to do with your exposure to the ultraviolet spectrum. People only get a certain number of beats then the muscle fails. All religion is an attempt to explain our way out of death, and at times to justify one way of life over another, beyond the simple cause and effect of day-to-day life. Pure fiction.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 1:13:45 PM EDT by Juggernaut]
I always wondered if it didn't have something do do with an increased amount of oxygen in the atmosphere. The extra-large fossilized dragonflies would seem to suggest that an increased amount of oxygen in the air at that time allowed these bugs to grow as large as they did-insects are neccesarily limited in size by the fact that they breath with spriacles, not lungs-and spiracles(basically air tubes) can only be so long before they won't carry air all the way down them. If there were more oxygen in the air to be transported through those same spiracles, however, perhaps there would be longer lifespan as well as the already discovered larger size for them. Why not? And if so, why might an oxygen rich atmosphere benefit us too? The vapor theory is interesting too, never considered that one before. Juggernaut
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:12:25 PM EDT
My guess is that during biblical days they have nothing better to do so days feels a lot longer so they've counted a month as a year. 900/12=75years old (in present calculation).
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:13:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Celt: Cool...that's two for my theory and two for the magical disappearing vapor. Who's keeping score?
View Quote
I don't know who is keeping score but I do know that we are winning.[:D] Down with God!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:16:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: Man did not have to put up with all the stress associated with Political correctness and sensitivity training. Once mankind developed those most of us gave up the will to live past 100.
View Quote
Beer Slayer WINS!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 1:22:34 PM EDT by garandman]
You know - Its FUN to watch the SAME people who whine and cry about Clinton, Schumer, Lautenberg, Glendenning et al mocking their interpretation of the Second Amendment come in here and mock my (and others) interpretation of Scriptural / world views. Especially when they supposedly SHARE the SAME interpretation of the Second Amendment as I do. Go figger. Careful - your "tolerance" is showing. Or is that your hypocrisy i see??? [}:D] Ahhhh, why bother??? Let them mock that which they don't like.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:22:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:23:18 PM EDT
Ban all Floods. For the children.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:34:07 PM EDT
I doubt its factual, so I wouldn't worry about it. The year hasn't been a standard unit of measure throughout time anyway. The year used to start , I think, in March, and there were different numbers of days... stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:35:15 PM EDT
The same reason Frodo and the other characters in LOTR lived so long.. THEY ARE BOTH FANTASY!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:51:48 PM EDT
Damn, this entire thread is filled with more bullshit than I can possibly respond to in one sitting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:56:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spearweasel: Ban all Floods. For the children.
View Quote
God already did that, Spearweasel (at least worldwide floods). Genesis 8:21
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:59:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: At Creation, the world was surrounded by a vapor canopy (Gen. 1:6) that shielded the earth from the harmful UV rays of the sun. People lived longer, and healthier. Animals and people grew to much larger sizes. (Gen. 6:4) When the flood occurred, the vapor canopy was destroyed, actually contributing to the amount of water that flooded the earth. (Gen. 7:11)
View Quote
The problem with that idea is, it's assuming that UV rays are the reason we only live ~70 years. It isn't. In fact, we are genetically programmed to start falling apart...UV radiation is not to blame, except of course that it can cause cancer which will shorten your lifespan even more.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:00:54 PM EDT
Fart gas I tell ya, Fart gas! Not much then, plenty of it now (you know with Taco Bell, Chili's Mickey Dee's etc etc). Fart gas kills! [peep]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:13:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2002 2:14:55 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
Maybe the fact that man was "relocated" via the flood and subsequently exposed to more environmental hazards, [b]new infectious agents, viruses (which are known to cause many cancers and are believed to cause more than half of ALL known cancers)[/b], an altered diet, sudden lack of a vital life-extending nutrient that was lost due to the flood, more physical stresses, etc... come on, work with me here! [BD] Maybe the term "year" had a different meaning in pre-flood times. Before the flood a "year" could have meant a timespan something closer to a "month" back in those days. 900 months = 75 yrs (current avg. lifespan) and after flood, the meaning of the word may have changed. Maybe the "ozone effect" as mentioned earlier. Or, as any insurance policy will tell you... maybe it could have been an "act of God"!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:21:51 PM EDT
The BS theory sounds most resonable
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:27:12 PM EDT
I can't get to the 2nd page of the replys, but, I know it's cause there were not firearms back then. I am quite sure that we would all live longer if were not for the evil guns in the world. Especially if they are handguns, assault weapons or, in general hold more than ten bullets in their magazine. [smartasss
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:27:34 PM EDT
I hate to reply to a question with a question but in this case it seems appropriate. Why did Noah and guys before live for 900+ years? If these individuals lived 900+ years is to be taken as truth. Then every other living thing during the same time would also have an extended life span. Correct? In other words, where are the skeletons of these 900+ year old animals? Where are the 900+ year old plants and tree's? If it looks like 900 year old sh*t, smells like 900 year old sh*t, is it really 900 year old sh*t?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:38:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By drjarhead: Damn, this entire thread is filled with more bullshit than I can possibly respond to in one sitting.
View Quote
My aplogies but yours is the only one to which I can respond ! (Wait a few minutes and then you can respond to your own response. Don't worry - no one will notice !)
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:41:35 PM EDT
Thanks guys, I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers...whew...I have to say that I laughed a lot reading the replies, thanks. After losing my dog Trooper last month, this is the first time I have laughed and felt really [b]good[/b]. You guys are all right in my book.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:41:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RikWriter: In fact, we are genetically programmed to start falling apart...UV radiation is not to blame, except of course that it can cause cancer which will shorten your lifespan even more.
View Quote
I believe the 'gas' we breathe may have a little to do with the aging process.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:43:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tcsd1236: I doubt its factual, so I wouldn't worry about it. The year hasn't been a standard unit of measure throughout time anyway. The year used to start , I think, in March, and there were different numbers of days... stuff like that.
View Quote
Many times I just don't know what to say and this is one of those times. [smoke]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:47:34 PM EDT
A friend of mine who teaches a bible study to children told me this: If you think about the old world (pre-columbus) it didn't go any farther than the Atlantic. If you backtrack another 3000 years before that, their 'whole world' must have been nothing more than their valley where they lived in Israel, or Iraq or wherever the Noah thing took place. So the whole world flooding actually took place, but their perception of 'world' was just their valley or wherever they were. I don't know if I agree or disagree with him, but his theory makes sense, at least with respect to the bible. He doesn't think the whole world flooded over, either. Maybe people lived longer back then because the politicians weren't messing up the world and enacting stupid laws.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:54:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
Originally Posted By tcsd1236: I doubt its factual, so I wouldn't worry about it. The year hasn't been a standard unit of measure throughout time anyway. The year used to start , I think, in March, and there were different numbers of days... stuff like that.
View Quote
Many times I just don't know what to say and this is one of those times. [smoke]
View Quote
And yet you still post something!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:02:11 PM EDT
No wonder most of those pigeons never make it back to the ark – they must have about 400 years old!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:13:55 PM EDT
Maybe they were dog years! Oh, and g-man, I'd give you one groupy, but that's about it. Pride goeth before a fall, and all that... [:P]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:14:12 PM EDT
Ahhh...so not only did the physics of man's aging process change at the time of the great flood, but the physics of the evaporation/precipitation process magically come to life at the same time. I'm still waiting for the answer as to how we have so many different races when only Noah and his wife (family?) were on the boat. Could it beeeeeee....SATAN (g). - Anarki
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:15:01 PM EDT
Ahhh...so not only did the physics of man's aging process change at the time of the great flood, but the physics of the evaporation/precipitation process magically come to life at the same time. I'm still waiting for the answer as to how we have so many different races when only Noah and his wife (family?) were on the boat. Could it beeeeeee....SATAN (g). - Anarki
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:37:32 PM EDT
The oxygen theory is bogus. A minor shift in our oxyges a few points up would make fires uncontrolable, a few points doen and nothing would burn. Water vapor theory is shot to hell when you look at the meterological effects of that much water in the air. The inverse lapse rate would precipitate the water out, causing a massive loss of heat and forcing the world into an ice age.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:38:49 PM EDT
Garandman, I'm not quite sure I understand why you're so baffled by why some people don't agree with your christian views, but agree with you about the second amendment. Do all gun owners have to think exactly the same? As far as the whole earth being wrapped in a vapor barrier, it sounds like a theory that somebody pulled out of their.......let's just say hat. Is there any scientific or geological evidence of that? I've always found it funny how many differant explanations christians have for some of the things in the bible that defy common sense. And many times alot of christian scholars can't even agree on those. And yet we're suppose to take the bible as fact? Or is it faith? Don't get me wrong, this isn't meant as a flame. I don't hate christians. Heck, some of my best friends are christians.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:45:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
View Quote
View Quote
And yet you still post something!!
View Quote
Vewy, vewy observant. But I didn't say anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:51:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skunkabilly: If you backtrack another 3000 years before that, their 'whole world' must have been nothing more than their valley where they lived in Israel, or Iraq or wherever the Noah thing took place. So the whole world flooding actually took place, but their perception of 'world' was just their valley or wherever they were.
View Quote
And such a flood did take place in a 'world' as you describe about 400 years before the one (?) under discussion.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:28:17 PM EDT
The water above could have been in the form of ice. That would allow the air pressure to be twice what it is now, a fact backed up by air pockets in amber. Hyperbaric pressure is used to treat all manner of injuries/diseases and under two atmospheres of pressure plants grow to the size we find in the fossil record. The true greenhouse effect from this would also account for Mammoths and cammels, both warm weather animals, at the north pole and palm trees under the ice at the south. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:49:30 PM EDT
There is science to support the replication of the human cells- per the genetic codes in our DNA, with acceptable virility to allow the possibility that human "lifespan" could endure the period of 1000 years. The genetic design of the human being would support this life span if not impacted by the multiple attacks of nature as we know it. It is not implausable that in a pure environment- physical,emotional, intellectual and spiritual- that the human could indeed live to be 900. Don't think we could reproduce this here, now, however...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top