Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 1:52:12 PM EDT
I think I've been able to build quite a well rounded collection thus far and I've been trying to figure out what I should get next...

As of now I have:
1. Springfield Armory M1A
2. Bushmaster AR-15
3. Sar-1 AK-47
4. HK USC .45
5. Benelli Nova 12ga.
6. Century Arms L1A1 FAL IMBEL receiver
7. Sig Sauer P226

Besides more pistols (I plan on getting a HK USP), I can't think of what else to get besides maybe a Garand or M1 carbine...So, lately I've been thinking about getting a bolt-action?  If so what kind should I get?  Remington 700 series???  What makes someone get a bolt-action over a semi-auto???

Thanks for the opinions...
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a good bolt action, i'd go with a Savage. Mine cost me $350 and shoots one hole at 100 yards (not a perfect circle, but one ragged hole) it's 30-06. I've heard similar from other calibers too.  As for reason, i wanted a PC deer hunting gun, with better accuracy, and alot more punch.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to save some dough, take Mr. Beer's advice and look at the C&R rifles he mentioned. For about $180 you can get an unissued Yugo M48 in pristine condition. Surplus ammo is cheap, although corrosive so you have to clean immediately after shooting. The Swede M96 is known for accuracy, but it's difficult to find one in really good shape for a reasonable price as of late.

If you want a tactical bolt gun, the FN Police Special or Remington 700 types are great.

You need a bolt gun for hunting and for long-range accuracy. The AR-15 can get acccurate as hell, but loses punch past 300 yards (if not before). The M1A is great, but rarely sub-MOA unless you spend some $$$ to tweak it. So, that leaves bolt guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The correct answer to any question of this sort.

" Do I need _________ firearm is...YES!!!

An emphatic YES!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Lee Enfield MKIII .303
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the C&R rifles!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Your collection IS NOT well rounded......without a few bolt guns to provide some varied interest..........[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's take a look at the cartridges that your current rifles are in:
M1A: 308
AR15: .223
AK47: 7.62x39
HK USC: 45 ACP
L1A1/FAL: .308

Seems to me that you are lacking in a Magnum cartridge that is flat shooting and has longer range than .308. Also you don't seem to have anything that can really double as both a hunting rifle and a sniping rifle. Though your M1A could do it in a pinch..you can get more accurate results with a really good Bolt action Rifle.

May I suggest something in 7mm Rem Magnum or 300  Win Mag or 300 WSM ? Your BEST results would be with a custom built rifle.
Stolle and Hall make great Actions for a Rifle.

Or you can go the Factory route and get yourself a Remington, Savage, Tikka, Sako, Winchester or Ruger Bolt Action.

Good Custom and Semi-Custom Rifle Builders: Robar, McMillan, Chandler, Jarrett.

Good Barrel Makers: Lija, Krieger, Shilen.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone needs a high powered, scoped, sniper rifle.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Besides, some day you're gonna need a reason to explain why you still have 10,000 rounds of 308 even though your M-14/FAL/AR-10 fell out of the boat while duck hunting several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Go get an Eagle Arms AR-10 lower and this upper from:

[url]http://iyp.uswestdex.com/accuracysystemsinc/Page10.html[/url]

Dave S
And then come back and tell me if you made the right choice.  [}:D]  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Bolt guns tend to be lighter, cheaper, less complicated, and more accurate than semi’s.  (Please note the word “tend” since this is a pretty broad statement.)  They also don’t throw your brass all over the place (if you reload).

If you’re interested in a C&R, the M48 Yugo’s are a fantastic buy.  Lee-Enfields are also a good deal.

Remington 700’s are great guns but maybe a little overpriced.  If you want to economize a bit, look at the Savage or Howa.  They’re both good deals.

You also need a lever action, lets say a Marlin in 45-70 or .444 Marlin (which, by pure happenstance, I happen to be thinking about myself).  I can’t think of any good reason why I – wait, I mean you – would want one.  Maybe it’s just all those Western movies as a kid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700sendsf.htm[/url]

Check out the Remington 700 Sendero SF

The also have the 700 in VS-SF that used to be available in .308 but now is in smaller varmint calibers only.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everyone needs a high powered, scoped, sniper rifle.  
View Quote

and probably it should be a bolt gun for better accuracy.

I recommend the Mauser 66SP.  Used by the Israeli's as a sniper rifle for about twenty years.  Comes with a  scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top