Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 12:38:57 AM EDT
I have been trying for a while to recreate a meal I've eaten at a Chinese restaurant : Almond Chicken Ding. Here it is.

[b]Chicken Almandine[/b]

[u]Batter[/u]
1 Cup Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Peanut Oil
1 Cup -or more- Water
3/4 Cup Almond Meal

[u]Brown Sauce[/u]
3 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Tsp Molasses
6 Tsp Soy Sauce
1/2 Small can chopped canned mushrooms
3 Tbsp Cornstarch
3 Tbsp Water

4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Vegetable oil to fry the chicken
1/2 cup Diced Green Onion
1/4 cup Chopped Almonds
1 tsp Butter

Combine the dry batter ingredients in a large bowl; mix with a fork. You can make almond meal by putting a bag of cooking almonds in a blender. Add the wet batter ingredients and stir with a spoon until a sticky batter consistency is reached. Add more water by the tablespoon until it’s right.

Chop the chicken breasts into quarters or thirds. Get your oil heating: around 1 ½ inches deep. Once your oil is hot (when a small dash of flour foams instantly it’s ready) dip the chicken in the batter and start frying it. It should be golden brown when you remove it, maybe a bit darker for larger pieces. Drain it on paper towels. It should take anywhere from 4-6 minutes apiece depending on size and oil temperature.

Combine the chicken stock, molasses, soy sauce and mushrooms in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate bowl, and then add to the saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until it just starts to boil on the edges, then reduce heat to very low to keep it hot while your frying the rest of the chicken. When the last batch of chicken is almost done turn the heat off to let it thicken up.

Combine the butter and chopped almonds in a small skillet, heat on low stirring constantly, until the almonds are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place the chicken on the plate. Spoon the sauce liberally over the pieces and then sprinkle with the toasted almonds and diced green onion.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p6e29db13bfdebddb73803fce4aed819d/fe02026c.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]Venison Cutlets[/b]

Any boneless cut of venison will do.  I use steaks.

Pound the meat out thin with a tenderizing mallet.
Dip the cutlets in egg, then flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.  You can use seasoned breadcrumbs if you wish.  I usually use Del Grosso Italian seasoned.

Brown the cutlets in a skillet with a little olive oil.  Don't try to cook them clear through.  You just want to brown the outside.

Place the cutlets in a roasting pan with just a tiny bit of water, cover and place in a 350 degree oven.  Let them cook until they are fork-tender, usually about an hour or so depending on how thin you pounded them and how many are layered in the pan.

Serve hot, with pasta (gnocchi!) and marinara sauce.  If you use unseasoned breadcrumbs, they are also good with gravy.

This is a pretty vague recipe, I know, but this is how my parents made and how I was taught to do it.  It's virtually impossible to phuque it up, so go ahead and try it.  My mother used to make 5lbs of these at a time for my brother and I when we were teens, we ate the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, here's the deal.  This recipe is great for when you've got overnight guests, or when you don't want the hassle of a lot of preparation in the morning.  [i]Best french toast ever![/i]

[b]French Toast In A Pan[/b]
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
6 eggs
1 tbs. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. dried mustard
1 loaf "Texas Toast" or French bread cut 2" thick slices

Melt butter in a large (9x13 or so) baking dish. Add sugar and spread across bottom of dish. Completely cover mixture with 1 layer pf bread (It's ok to stuff them in a little, just don't get crazy).  In a blender, mix eggs, milk, cinnamon and dried mustard.  Pour mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Uncover and cook for 1 hour.  When you serve them, use a spatula to flip them out, bottom side up.  Serves 6-8 people.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]Cold Beer[/b]

6 cans cold beer
1 lazy-boy recliner

Sit in recliner.  Consume beer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]Chicken Adobo[/b] (My own bastardized version, so I don't wanna here any shit from the Filipinos on this board [:D])

1lb mixed chicken parts
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Black pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
Use some sriracha in the pot to spice it up if you like.

Mix all ingredients into a pot.  Simmer chicken until cooked through.  Serve over white rice with the liquid in the pot.  I eat it like that.
However, this leaves a strong vinegar taste, so if you don't like that, bake it quickly to cut the edge off.

Anyone know how to make this dish properly?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]Cold Beer[/b]

6 cans cold beer
1 lazy-boy recliner

View Quote

I spice mine up a bit by adding a remote for the DVD.

Also goes good with pretty wife/GF to fetch for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[b]Cold Beer[/b]

6 cans cold beer
1 lazy-boy recliner

View Quote

YES.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
24.5 gr H335
55 gr FMJBT
Winchester Sm Rifle Primer
LC Brass

Makes one reliable .223 round.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Only one? Impossible!

Chicken Wings

Chicken wings, cut up.
White flour seasoned with salt & pepper
Butter, melted
Louisiana style hot sauce (I like Crystal)
Chopped Garlic (optional)

Wash chicken wing pieces and dredge in seasoned flour. Place in hot oil at least deep enough to cover by an inch ot two. A Cajun Cooker works best for this. Wings are done when they float to the top.

Make wing sauce by mixing hot sauce and butter in the ratio you prefer, 3:1 hot sauce to butter for very hot, on down to 1:2 for weenie boys and girls scout groups. Add chopped garlic to sauce while mixing. In a large bowl coat cooked wings with sauce and serve hot with celery, blue cheese dressing and beverage of choice.

Real Chili

20 dried chili pods
2-3 lbs beef, cut in 1"chunks
1-2 large onions
2-10 cloves garlic, to taste
Salt, pepper, cumin to taste

In a large bowl, cover chili pods with very hot water and allow to soak at least 2 hours, over night is better. When pods are soft, blend on high speed in blender with anough water to make a smooth thick liquid. You can strain out the skinns and seeds after blending, or remove seeds before soaking for a less hot chili.

Brown beef in large pan or dutch oven. When beef is browned add onions and garlic, saute til onions are golden. Add chili sauce, salt, pepper and cumin to taste. Allow to simmer until beef is tender and onions have blended into sauce, making a thick gravy. You can add water, beef stock or beer at anytime to get the consistency you like. Serve with tortillas, corn bread or whatever else you llike with chili.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
This one has [b]never[/b] been shared before, but here goes:

2 - all beef patties

special sauce

lettuce

cheese

pickles

onions

1 - sesame seed bun..

First....

[:D]  weak..... I know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Recipes? LOL

I have owned this house 3 years and still have not purchased a stove.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Recipes? LOL

View Quote

Since you are just starting out, may I reccomend this beginner's set:

[img]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/401/ZWN-195.jpg[/img]

plus this

[img]http://www.nissinfoods.com/images/top_chicken.jpg[/img]

All things considered, a good place to start...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
KN writes...
Recipes? LOL

View Quote

LOL...Hey KN, how do you eat? Shoot a deer at the corn barrel in the back yard, drag it into the kitchen , cut off a hunk and nuke it for 10 minutes? j/k
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
KN writes...
Recipes? LOL

View Quote

LOL...Hey KN, how do you eat? Shoot a deer at the corn barrel in the back yard, drag it into the kitchen , cut off a hunk and nuke it for 10 minutes? j/k
View Quote

Microwave?  Why ruin a perfectly good hunk of meat by cooking it? LOL

j/k, I eat out most of the time.

On weekdays I start with Waffle House for breakfast then for lunch/dinner I eat at various restaurants near my workplace. On weekends I usually hit a nice steakhouse or seafood restaurant. My friends wife usually cooks a big dinner on Sundays and I eat there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recipes? LOL

View Quote

Since you are just starting out, may I reccomend this beginner's set:

[img]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/401/ZWN-195.jpg[/img]

plus this

[img]http://www.nissinfoods.com/images/top_chicken.jpg[/img]

All things considered, a good place to start...
View Quote

Thanks but No thanks :)

Would have to purchase pots and pans and also wash dishes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Ozzie:

Tried your chicken almondine.

Not bad, not bad.  I just pan fried the chicken though.

Next time I'll make it easier to clean and just bake the pieces.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#16]
[size=6][red][b]SPAM[/b][/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Lowfat Tuna Pie:

2 6-oz. cans of low-sodium chunk white tuna (albacore)
2 8-oz. pkgs of low-fat crescent rolls
1-1/4 cup fat-free small curd cottege cheese
1-1/4 cup italian blend shredded cheese
a couple of mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbs italian blend spices (oregano will do in a pinch)

Line the bottom of a 9" square baking pan with 1 pkg crescent rolls (pinch all seams together, cut off long sides & use to make up the short sides- this is the bottom of the pie)

Mix all of the ingredients together, giving the cats a few pieces of tuna to shut them up. put the glop in the pan.
Use the other can of crescent rolls as the top of the crust, again pinching all seams and discarding of the left over strips.

Heat oven to 350. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Cut into quarters, eat.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the positive feedback Goet :-) I bet pan fried was more effecient than deep fried. I've cooked the recipe two more times since I wrote that and I've been steadily reducing the oil in the pan. Please let me know how baked goes. I didn't know batter could be cooked that way, unless it's "oven fried" (top rack, 450 degrees with small amount of oil).

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it'll have to be pan-fried with some Pam just enought to seal the batter, then transferred to oven to finish the pink.

Anything to get my wife off my back.  She was going on and on about all the grease spattered everywhere.

Didn't complain much while she was eating it, though.
:)
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I get less mess because I use kind of a weird pot for deep frying. It's a TFAL pressure cooker bottom; narrow, deep and very thick. I also use a grease screen except for when I am adding or removing stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p6e29db13bfdebddb73803fce4aed819d/fe02026c.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

View Quote

Looks good!  Cool plate to top it off.

That might also be called General Tso's Chicken in some joints.  Or was that Chairman Mao's Chicken?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Sourdough French Toast:

6 lg eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp milk
8 slices of sourdough bread (or so,YMMV)

Heat griddle on stove top at medium heat.

Thoroughly mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and milk in a pitcher. Pour batter into a pie plate or square baking dish. Dip slices of bread into batter, thoroughly wetting both sides. Place battered bread slices on griddle, flipping over when a medium brown is achieved on the bottom side. Remove (or wait for smoke!) Enjoy!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top