Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 9:17:14 AM EDT
I have been talking to the Army about joining with them and all I have to do is pick my job and sign the papers right now.

But I have a big problem I have a wife and one child and my wife just told me she is pregnant!! I don't know what to do now. I don't think if the Army know they will let me get in the military. But I can just play dumb and just say I did not know she was pregnant. But I don't know if I'd get in any trouble.

She is about 6 weeks along by now and I would not be going to boot camp until Feb 2002.

I don't know what do you guys think I should do? Just play dumb? Or not join at all and play it safe? See I don't know if I would get a dishonored able discharge for the military or what if they did find out.

I know I saw some papers in there that did ask if you or your spouse was going to have a child in the next 9 months. If I sign it saying that me/or my spouse is noting to have a child in the next 9 months I'll be telling a lie and scared about getting in to trouble. Thanks for the help.    
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been out of the corp for 20 years now, so I'm not sure what the policy is now, but my suggestion to you would be to talk to your recruiter. good luck
[marines]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
1.  I don't know of any restrictions on wives and children for recruits.  It was talked about years ago, particularly by the Marines.  I saw many privates who already had families.  But:  Just because you're married, doesn't mean you will get Command Sponsorship (where they military lets you take your wife with you, particularly overseas).  At best, you might get government housing (which can be likened to slums).

2.  Don't lie.  It could end up wasting your time and theirs, and cost you even more.

3.  You are now a Husband and a Father (to be).  Consider your reasons for joining the Army carefully.  If you just want to go somewhere and blow things up and act like a young, SINGLE man, reconsider your motives.  No matter HOW BAD the Army says it needs you, you have a family to consider.  Technically, we're not really at war.

4.  If this is a serious career move (lifer, training or college money), MAKE A PLAN AND STICK TO IT.  Two years and out for college is a great option for many young people.

Good Luck and don't believe everything they tell you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Signing the "childing in the next nine months" in the negative sounds like taking the short route to a DD.

My advice - don't do it.

Be up front with your recruiter. If we REALLY NEED recruits THAT bad, he'll figger a way to get you in.

But I don't beleive we are THAT bad off. After all, we have all these essential and irreplaceable woemn in their everyone keps telling us about (Okay, THAT was a cheap shot)

I'll close with this thought, said better by someone else, so I'll quote:

originally by SJSample:
3. You are now a Husband and a Father (to be). Consider your reasons for joining the Army carefully. If you just want to go somewhere and blow things up and act like a young, SINGLE man, reconsider your motives. No matter HOW BAD the Army says it needs you, you have a family to consider. Technically, we're not really at war.
View Quote

Raising a good family is FAR more important right NOW that fighting a war. Should it turn into WW3, thats another matter.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The correct decision in this case is to not join the service. Your family comes first, period. No married man with children should be in the service. It's bad enough when you get killed without making widows and orphans. Look back at the pics of the SF guy who got killed last week holding his kids. When he was bleeding out do you think he was feeling like it was worth it? Take care of your family.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Signing the "childing in the next nine months" in the negative sounds like taking the short route to a DD.

My advice - don't do it.

Be up front with your recruiter. If we REALLY NEED recruits THAT bad, he'll figger a way to get you in.

But I don't beleive we are THAT bad off. After all, we have all these essential and irreplaceable women in their everyone keeps telling us about (Okay, THAT was a cheap shot)

I'll close with this thought, said better by someone else, so I'll quote:

originally by SJSample:
3. You are now a Husband and a Father (to be). Consider your reasons for joining the Army carefully. If you just want to go somewhere and blow things up and act like a young, SINGLE man, reconsider your motives. No matter HOW BAD the Army says it needs you, you have a family to consider. Technically, we're not really at war.
View Quote

Raising a good family is FAR more important right NOW that fighting a war. Should it turn into WW3, thats another matter.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
If the Army wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one!!!

[(:)]

It makes no difference to the Army whether your wife is pregnant. Do not expect, however, that you will be allowed to take leave from your Basic Training, AIT, or OSUT to be there for the birth of your child. Your wife delivering your child is not considered an emergency.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
DONT JOIN THE ARMY!!!

Join the Marines! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
To clarify that, tell your recruiter. It will not keep you out of the Army. He can help you to arrange your training dates so that you will be done with training before your child is due.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The MARINES?!?!?!

Oh, yeah... those are the guys the Navy sends in first, so when the Army goes in we can walk on your bodies and not get our boots wet.

[(:)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DONT JOIN THE ARMY!!!

Join the Marines! [:)]
View Quote

Oh, yeah.  And we all know how The Corps feels about young grunts with families, don't we? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
"The MARINES?!?!?!

Oh, yeah... those are the guys the Navy sends in first, so when the Army goes in we can walk on your bodies and not get our boots wet."

Cheap shot, but as an AR member I'll forgive you this time.

Semper Fi MG
[marines]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Bad ,[spank] GovtThug [spank], bad .

As for getting in , if you get a score above 120 you can get in even if your Ossama himself .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top