BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks a little translucent for goethite and while iron-rich sphalerite (marmatite) can be that color, it is uncommon at best.

But I could be wrong.

SRM

It isn't remotely close to translucent.

I have found both minerals in the presence of a geologist and both looked similar to the OPs specimen- the geothite was a little lighter in color, more similar to lead.

Let's call it a professional disagreement then, shall we?   Below are three examples of sphalerite, one from several years ago, one from a few months ago and one from Monday.  The one on the left is derived from magmatic sources (according to the sulfur isotopes), while the two on the right are from sedimentary sources.  These are all carbonate hosted,though the first has undergone complete replacement during paragenesis.  The OP's rock shows what appears to be sulfide minerals.  While sulfides and oxides can exist in the same rock, especially near the surface, one typically sees a greater degradation of sulfides and iron staining.

Like I said, I could be wrong

SRM

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top