Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 6:17:00 AM EDT
My wife recently graduated from the Andrews School of Medical Transcription.  She was an "A" student and has applied for work with Medquist.  She did very well on the pre-employment exam and has been tentatively offered a chance "if we have something for someone with your level of experience, but we normally do not hire recent graduates."

She is now trapped in the "Catch-22" of 'two years experience needed.'

Anyone know of a good way to jump start her new career?  We are in a mostly rural part of Texas, and the firm that she wants to work for allows for telecommuting/at home work.

Advice from others who are/know a medical transcriptionist would be most appreciated.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It is usually best to start at a clinic.
Even six months will get her an entry.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#2]
TRG,

'cpermd' beat me to it! My wife started as a transcriptionist and has now moved her way up to HIS (Health Information Services) Assistant Director. Once that toe gets in the door, the rest follows.

In many areas the turn-over rate is high due to competing medical services needs. Here in Florida the rate is far above average.

Might I suggest that when she gets an offer that she works within the department for the first 6-12 months. This will give her insights as to the operations and management expectations which could greatly enhance career opportunities.

Hang in there and good luck!

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
...or free lance.

Go to a couple of locale Docotors/Dentists and make them an offer they can't refuse.  You might want to even invest in some dictaphone equipment.  You do have a computer with Word or something at home don't you?

She just might find herself the owner of a thriving buisness and never need to look for employment.  Instead she'll be looking to hire help.  Before you know it you'll quit your job to work for your new buisness because it's worth more.  The next step will be to take it public, sell 100,000 shares at $50/share and then retire.

Ya that's the way I'ld do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The only person I ever knew who was a medical transcriptionist never had any formal training and just got a job with a radiology office.  Sorry I can't help.  May check with some of the smaller offices or clinics before moving up to the bigger hospitals, etc.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE:

I asked my wife if she had contacted the medical transcription firm to ask the status of her possible employment.  According to the firm, they are just now getting back to work post-holidays.  Doctors had reduced hours during the holidays so the work load is down overall.

However, the good news is that she has done so well on her pre-employment exam that she will likely hear by the end of this week if she is going to be hired without the usual 'two years expereince' requirement.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you guys are near Ft Sam Houston, ask at BAMC in the path department. I think we are a little light in the transcription office. I don't envy your wife at all, I know how much I hate to dictate and it really shows. I'm surprised they can understand a single word I say :) Good luck! LAter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
TRG,

Be sure to keep us posted!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
TRG,

Be sure to keep us posted!
View Quote

Will do.  Nothing to report so far. I know from talking to other people (mostly women) that there is a large interest in medical transcription as an at-home career.  Will let you guys and gals know how it turns out.

Lots of places that claim to train you for transcription as a career.  All signs pointed to the Andrews School as a legitimate non-scam school.  

When she gets employed by a transcription firm I will let you know.

TheRedGoat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top