Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 3:52:09 AM EDT
Here's one for discussion -

I am going thru newspaper and updating my scrapbook (DAMN bin Laden!  WAYYYYY too much paper to make it easy now...) and every now and then I see some item derying a "rising death rate."

Excuse me?

Save a small percentage of us (I will probably get two, due to my current medical Hx) I thought the death rate was pretty constant - one to a customer.  Everyone is born once, and pretty much everyone dies once.  At least, once than matters...

Some people (again, like me) will bring the death rate to slightly above 100%, but it seems that in the long run, the number of births and deaths is pretty damn close to equal.  

This sounds like specious logic to me - like when the media was wringing its collective hands about the proliferation of "high capacity ammunition" - the closest thing we can come up with to that is the Winchester Ultra Magnum (in .300 and .308) and the Holland .700 Nitro Express...

FFZ
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Am I being too obvious to point this out?  I'll take a wild guess that they're referring to a death rate per time from a specific cause, rather than the death rate per person.

What a concept.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
While I agree that there is one death per person, just as there is one birth per person I don't think that's what is being pointed out.

I believe that what "death rate" means is the total number of deaths within a certain period (like say a year's time).  Birth rate is similarly accounted for.  If the birth rate outpaces the death rate, then we have a net gain of people...an increasing population.  If the converse is true, then we have a net loss of people...a decreasing population.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I know what you guys are referring to, and what the paper is referring to.  It's just interesting to think that this can sound like "the death rate is rising" referring to people dying more than once, or a revocation of granted immortality, and perhaps "decreasing death rate" referring to the conferrence if immortality upon segments of hte populace...

Like I said, it's wierd.  Somehow, I don't find it quite a stretch given the current paucity of sound logic and reasoning these days...

I was aiming for a laugh.  Guess I missed - I'll look for something better next time (consider your collective self warned!)

FFZ
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
To me it is simple; the death rate is inadequate!!!  If we had an adequate death rate, world population would not be growing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Hay the wars just starting.  Look again in a few years.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To me it is simple; the death rate is inadequate!!!  If we had an adequate death rate, world population would not be growing.
View Quote

He's right! Everyone must take responsibility for solving this problem. That's right, every one of us must start killing people as soon as possiple. We all know this would solve all sorts of problems. We can start with criminals, terrorists, and democrats.
[kill]

As for only dying once, where's your ambition, man? Personally, I plan on dying at least 2 or 3 times. [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top