Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 12:13:41 AM EDT
So like I go out to a free dinner at Benihana expecting to see samurai cuisine but got nothing but taiwanese guy cooking like he was flipping burgers at McDonalds. I distinctly remember 10 years ago when I went to a Benihana's that the cooks got real flashy, flipping the salt and pepper shakers in the air, twirling their knives and forks, you know Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon stuff like that. Thinking that I just had a bum chef, I was looking around at other tables and the same diner griddle cook technique was going on everywhere. What the hell happened? Did some grill ninja get too loose, stab one of the customers and change corporate policy so there are no more neat stuffs to see?

And another thing, why is the one in New York called "Benihana of Tokyo" and the one in Tokyo called "Benihana of New York"???????
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Can we say LIABILITY ?
They probably had some FNG fling a knife into the chest of one of their guessts. That would ruin your night.LOL
As for the name confusion. I think Roki Aoki bounced around in his offshore powerboat and hit his head. Maybe he was confused and thought he was in Tokyo when he named the New York facility and vice verse.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes you don't even get an Asian chef.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Last time I went to one of those places, the chef flipped a shrimp at me and burned me on the forehead.  I didn't complain, but it would take only one pissing, moaning, pantywaist threatening a lawsuit to put an end to the theatrics at the corporate level.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Benihana...wasn't he that whacked televangelist????

Oh wait....I'm thinking of Benny Hinn.

My bad.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to know how Imbroglio got a free meal.  Was there a woman involved? [>:/]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I was at a Japanese steakhouse the other day.  The cook did a ton of fire effects, volcanoes out of onions, etc.  He flipped a knife, but not close to anyone, any tricks that had even the slightest possibility of hitting a customer were done with the spatulas, not the knives.  Also did a ton of egg tricks and goofed around a lot to make everyone laugh and have a good time.  I've noticed that over time, the steak houses restrict these activities, so newer places tend to have a better atmosphere.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's for sure - the last Benihana I went to was near Chicago, and all the chefs were Mexican.  The food was lousy and the theatrics we're almost non-existant.  Should've gone El Torito so at least I could've had a margarita.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe try some of the other non-Benihana resturants. There are a couple that I've go to that still do all of the tricks with out wounding the customers. One of the chef's is Cambodian, but he still kicks ass with the knife and spatula, and he can do the egg and volcano stuff too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last time I went was back in 1990 and all the clowns (chef???) were Haitians and Cubians... but then it was in Miami.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's for sure - the last Benihana I went to was near Chicago, and all the chefs were Mexican.  The food was lousy and the theatrics we're almost non-existant.  Should've gone El Torito so at least I could've had a margarita.
View Quote

This restaurant thing is reminding me of the lawsuit where that dude was suing "Hooters" for sexual discrimination.  Some jerk wanted to be a waitress.

Go ahead and work there and wear that cut-off t-shirt.  Hope you have health insurance.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Last time I went was back in 1990 and all the clowns (chef???) were Haitians and Cubians... but then it was in Miami.
View Quote

And it was still called "Benihana"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Last time I went to Ichiban here in Reno I made my date pay for the meal....lousy drinks,food etc.four people $150.00 an that was 8 yrs. ago never been back an she found a sucker to do her "i'm a society twat thing"
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Never mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top