Site Notices
9/23/2014 4:41:23 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
We're gonna need a bigger boat
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:23:25 PM
It's been determined that my car battery is dying. I have two local choices -Walmart and Sears.

Which would you buy?

Walmart Everstart or Sears Diehard?

Thanks go out to fsk1290's fantasy football team. Had his team not had a complete and total collapse I would have had to renew my ARFCOM membership out of my own pocket :-)
gonzo_beyondo
¿ʇnʍ ʇıɐʍ
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:24:57 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2009 6:27:20 PM by gonzo_beyondo]
Autozone's medium or best.

Diehards are not what they used to be, haven't been for quite some time.
I don't know wtf happened there but they're probably the last battery I'd buy anymore.

Walmart... their batteries are good, but what about service?

Autozone, you have a prob with one of their batteries, they'll take care of it.
Plus their batteries are as good if not better (possibly even the same) as walmarts.
NOT WANT DECAF!!
VA-gunnut
Because I said so, that's why!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:25:01 PM
If I had to choose between the two, Sears would get my money long before Wal-Mart.
Have you visited your Hometown Forum today?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=8

"Site Staff remembers when you could buy a keg of musket balls for $1.75"
walttx
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:28:03 PM
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
If I had to choose between the two, Sears would get my money long before Wal-Mart.

+1
Science is complicated and hard, it's not for everyone. Unfortunately for everyone, the answers to questions like "Where did we come from?" are found in VERY complex science, well above the level of everyday people.---HoodyHoo21
hungrymonkey
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:31:13 PM
Walmart batteries have a fairly long warranty, and a no questions asked return policy.

I bought a battery a few years ago. Some kids got into my truck and turned on my lights, electric fan, etc.

I did not notice for weeks.

When I pulled the battery out of the truck, I saw that I had a few months left on the warranty. I took it in and was exchanged for a brand new battery and the warranty on that battery started that day.

Subnet
Round on the ends and high in the middle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:32:44 PM
My Mustang is sporting a battery from WalMart. Couldn't beat the price, and it was in stock.

It stores electrons as good as the next one.
Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners while you were savoring the taste.-FLAL1A
mmajunkie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:34:27 PM
Everstart ( neverstart ) have a very high rate of failure.

I would go elsewhere,YMMV.
mjrowley
Mmmmm... Tannerite...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:36:42 PM
look in the phone book for "interstate batteries", if you have a sears stoe there has to be someone selling interstate.
Rob3220:
"Walmart Ammo isn't good for anything. I don't think it even breaks skin. Rounds are made of compressed Jell-O, if I recall correctly."
scubamc
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:38:39 PM
Optima
/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-_
()_) ()_)=O=)_)
stormwalker
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:40:49 PM
funny thing is most wet cell batteries are made in just a few places and re- labeled for the various brands.

so buy what everbrand makes you happy, they are all about the same.
mattsd
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:41:26 PM
I am not saying this is the rule, but i have gotten a shitty battery from walmart. They did replace it without a fuss though...
Sandman67
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:42:50 PM
Originally Posted By stormwalker:
funny thing is most wet cell batteries are made in just a few places and re- labeled for the various brands.

I was actually just reading this. Seems like three manufacturers are responsible for all the different brand batteries out there.

Thanks go out to fsk1290's fantasy football team. Had his team not had a complete and total collapse I would have had to renew my ARFCOM membership out of my own pocket :-)
SGocka
I'll have a coke then
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:45:06 PM
Originally Posted By scubamc:
Optima

/Thread
I beg to differ. Farting in the shower results in superior acoustics and, due to the enclosed area, a far more impressive scent than one would normally encounter. -Evil_ATF
--bullseye--
Assistant to the Regional Manager
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:46:02 PM
Do you have a Sam's Club membership? They sell Energizer branded car batteries at very good prices with a 2 year free replacement and a ~7 year prorated warranty.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog." Dwight Schrute The Office (NBC)
Jammer1
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:48:53 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from Interstate batteries. Couldnt tell you how many times I saw (12 years as a dealership tech) the damage done by those acid leaking pieces of shit. Not leakage through the casing mind you, but boil over from cycle charging.
texasaggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:49:07 PM
I have been let down by walmart batteries so many times. I would go interstate myself
nra762
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:49:34 PM
truthfully, there are about 4 major battry manufacturer. they slap different labels on them.
look at warranty and CCA ratings is most important. hope I could help.
HairOfTheDog
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:49:36 PM
Buy whatever's cheaper. Get more cranking power for those PA winters.
mjrowley
Mmmmm... Tannerite...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:59:11 PM
Originally Posted By Jammer1:
Whatever you do, stay away from Interstate batteries. Couldnt tell you how many times I saw (12 years as a dealership tech) the damage done by those acid leaking pieces of shit. Not leakage through the casing mind you, but boil over from cycle charging.

really that's interesting...

Truth be told I have only bought "USED" Yellow tops from them. They sell them here in Mesa AZ for $50.00, not bad in my book.
Rob3220:
"Walmart Ammo isn't good for anything. I don't think it even breaks skin. Rounds are made of compressed Jell-O, if I recall correctly."
WildBoar
Posting With The Protection Of Aluminum Foil
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:09:36 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2009 7:12:47 PM by WildBoar]

I used to do the WallyWorld option. they usually only last about 2 years. Some less. Yeah only like 3 or 4 companies make all the batteries but yhey offer many different levels of quality each.

i just replaced my DieHard after 6 yrs. Replaced it with another.
"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say give them all they want."
Gen. William T. Sherman
capnrob97
Beagles rule!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:11:15 PM
Both are decent, but if the Sears is a slow store, the battery may have been sitting for a lot longer than the WalMart one.

12 volt lead acid batteries need to be maintained to stay 100%.
This post is solely the opinion of capnrob97 and does not reflect the views of ar15.com
Evil_ATF
Sexual Ninja For Hire
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:15:58 PM
Between the two listed, Sears.

You don't go cheap on car batteries, hookers or handguns.
I have transcended ego. I am without form, a void. Neither vessel nor substance. No beginning, no end. Nothing and everything.
DOA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:17:21 PM

+1000. I normally get mine from Autozone or Pep Boys.

RomeoDeltaEcho
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:20:32 PM
Walmart....just because their employees are stupid. I bought a five year battery there, it died after four and a half years. The guarantee was prorated after the first year. I took it back and the clerk gave me the full purchase price back.
cchutch
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:26:07 PM
Originally Posted By stormwalker:

This, only like 2 company's make batteries in the U.S.
Old_Painless
The Poster O'Truth
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:30:38 PM
As has been stated, there are only a couple of companies that make batteries.

IMHO, you don't really "buy" batteries, you "rent" batteries. And when they go out, you go get another one and they pro-rate the price on it.

And, no matter where you are when it goes out, a Walmart will be close by and have the battery replacement you need.

There was a time when high-dollar batteries were "better". I no longer believe that to be true.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." - Capt. W. F. Call, Texas Ranger

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Subnet
Round on the ends and high in the middle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:32:29 PM

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

IMHO, you don't really "buy" batteries, you "rent" batteries. And when they go out, you go get another one and they pro-rate the price on it.

And, no matter where you are when it goes out, a Walmart will be close by and have the battery replacement you need.

There was a time when high-dollar batteries were "better". I no longer believe that to be true.

I'm with you. I buy a WalMart special, and replace it every 3 years, whether I think I need to or not.
Whoever pissed in your Cheerios swiped your manners while you were savoring the taste.-FLAL1A
kevinb120
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:35:24 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2009 7:37:00 PM by kevinb120]
For a 'generic' battery, either the OEM replacement (Motorcraft/AC Delco) or an Interstate. I've only dealt with about 20,000 used vehicles, but YMMV. If you're stuck with two choices for whatever reason(where I live there are about 140 car dealerships and over 20 walmarts for instance), I would go with the DieHard.
That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy....
rwhmachine
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:38:20 PM
walmart. i only expect to get 2 years out of any battery and replace them before they fail. i look for the highest cranking amps that will fit in space provided
Quality is like buying oats. If you want fresh clean oats you must pay a fair price, however if you can settle for oats that have already been through the horse, well that comes a little cheaper.
rufusrufgut
A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:40:01 PM
Consumer Reports rates the Diehard Platinum 50065 the highest. A little pricey at 180 dollars. The Diehard Gold 33165 is rated good also @110 dollars.
I'm going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows me to stab people in the face over the internet.
mjrowley
Mmmmm... Tannerite...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:42:30 PM
Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

this i do trust.
Rob3220:
WildApple
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:45:06 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2009 7:46:21 PM by WildApple]
Samsclub carries Optima batteries, they are worth the money.....I've heard the red, blue, and yellow tops are virtually the same battery.

On the other hand, I have had an interstate battery in my car from 04' but just opted for the optima to replace it. I have a lot of power options on my car, so a good battery is a must.
BRONZ
You're Being Watched
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:53:55 PM
In before the official battery war starts......
BRONZ

You never have trouble if you are prepared for it. T. Roosevelt

Keith_J
Veteran of Reagan Era
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:54:31 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2009 8:13:32 PM by Keith_J]
Optima? I won't make that mistake again. I only bought one because NO ONE had a 94R for the price of a Red Top which would fit and had the CCA for my application. In case you don't know, a 94R has about 80 Amp-hours, measured at 4 amperes for 20 hours. Well, the Red Top is only 48 Amp-hours measured at 2.4 amps for 20 hours, barely HALF the rated capacity. It only lasted 3 years. A proper 94R is about double the weight of the Red Top.

Sure, they have high area/mass ratios which is what gives them the high CCA. But when you have to wait 20 seconds for the glow plugs to get hot, that little 120 amp load will draw a Red Top into no-start.

Get an Interstate. Sure, there are only a few manufacturers of batteries BUT they make many different levels of quality.

All 12V batteries have 6 cells. That is about the ONLY thing they have in common. Each cell is made up of at least 2 plates. Cheaper batteries have fewer plates because it easier to assemble. But for a given capacity, the plates are made thicker. Such construction makes for a more fragile battery as the grids have to support more weight and the active agent is further from the lead grid, the primary conductor. Optima has very thin active layers and even thinner grids that are possible only because of the tight winding of the cell. But this arrangement isn't good for life span with heavy loads or many cycles as the thin grid corrodes to nothing.
Quantum Mechanical Engineer

Ars sine scientia nihil est
Sandman67
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:28:27 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2009 8:29:29 PM by Sandman67]
Well I got the Walmart battery. The price for the high end one was 74.00 and that included dispossal of the old one. Another thing that surprised my wife and I was the service. The guy was polite and friendly and called us "folks" (I love that term for some reason, just makes me trust the guy instantly ) Seriously though it was some of the best service I have had from a mechanic.

Anyway he tested it and confirmed the battery was on its last leg.

Got a 3 year no hassle free replacement and then up to 9 years pro-rated.

Im happy. I'ts my first Wallyworld battery...so only time will tell.

On the other hand they were SOLD OUT of just about any ammo you could name, even bricks of 22 were gone. Just a bunch of shotgun shells and some odd rifle calibers. Guy behind the counter said the Obama scare has people hoarding it. Said they can't keep it on the shelf. Its all gone the same day it comes in.

grayrider86
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:33:16 PM
my walmart battery lasted about 9 months,i got a full refund and went to advanced auto
Treadhead
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:38:30 PM
I've mentioned it here before.....

I used to for Johnson Controls Battery division (The company that PROBABLY made 60-70% of your cars interior) and we made them all.

Diehards down the line for an hour, Everstarts for an hour and a half and then another hour of Kirklands (Costco).

All welded, filled, boosted, decorated (Where you slap on the stickers) and stacked-off by the same folks.

"Whada ya mean is it IN YET?!"
MxRBill
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:47:40 PM
Interstate
Ranger689
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 9:04:05 PM
Originally Posted By MxRBill:
Interstate

This is what I use.
To The Everlasting Glory Of The Infantry...
alc1343
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 9:24:33 PM
Originally Posted By hungrymonkey:
Walmart batteries have a fairly long warranty, and a no questions asked return policy.

I bought a battery a few years ago. Some kids got into my truck and turned on my lights, electric fan, etc.

When I pulled the battery out of the truck, I saw that I had a few months left on the warranty. I took it in and was exchanged for a brand new battery and the warranty on that battery started that day.

Wal-Mart does not "restart" your warranty anymore. The batteries have the punch-hole date stickers and they
are supposed to punch the original purchase date on the new battery.
762DM
Too old to suffer bullshit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 9:38:55 PM
Interstate Blem
The aforementioned post is to be used expressely for conversational purposes and should in no way be construed as professional opinion. كافر

GoVol98
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2009 10:00:03 PM
Sears....Walmart....doesn't matter. You're probably going to end up with an Exide battery either way you go.

They had the contracts for both back when the wifey worked there. but that's been some years ago.
Gregor
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 1:56:09 PM
Sears Diehard and Walmart are the same battery made by Johnson Controls. My friend was a store manager for Sears and told me this.

Gregor
Star_Scream
Too lazy to clean up his av
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 1:57:46 PM
Autozone!

I melted one recently ( starter solenoid ground out and melted itself and my batt) and they took it back under warranty
Still trying to find food in Tejas that doesn't taste like it came from a can or covered in some shit they call chili. Please help.
Soybomb
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:00:05 PM
[Last Edit: 3/5/2009 2:01:23 PM by Soybomb]
I will put in the extra work to find an interstate any more, the others have all let me down.
Ridge_Runner_5
Unapologetic American
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:05:36 PM
Duralast
Gun_Crank
Machinist
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:05:50 PM

Originally Posted By mjrowley:
look in the phone book for "interstate batteries", if you have a sears stoe there has to be someone selling interstate.

A big +1

I won't buy anything else.
Government is the only agency that can take a valuable commodity like paper, slap some ink on it, and make it totally worthless. --Ludwig von Mises
JHMC79
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:06:40 PM
My step-dad used to work in a battery factory around Salina, Kansas.

According to him, they all rolled off the same assembly line and then got the appropriate label combined with the appropriate price before they shipped to Wal-Mart, Sears, Auto-Zone ect.

The exception to this was/is the Optima brand.

ARsonist
Is this darkness in you too?
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:08:59 PM

Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:
Autozone's medium or best.

Diehards are not what they used to be, haven't been for quite some time.
I don't know wtf happened there but they're probably the last battery I'd buy anymore.

Walmart... their batteries are good, but what about service?

Autozone, you have a prob with one of their batteries, they'll take care of it.
Plus their batteries are as good if not better (possibly even the same) as walmarts.
Autozone QFT! I worked there for years in college and I just replaced my battery there last week. They sell good batteries and the warranty will be in their nationwide database if you ever have trouble on the road.

White Devil

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.” Thomas Jefferson
MikeSearson
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:09:36 PM
Originally Posted By hungrymonkey:

Not so much anymore. I have a Corvette that is 35 years old. When I lived in Cali, I drove it 10 months out of the year, even to work sometimes. Living in the cold wastes of Northern Nevada the past 4 years, means it sits alot more often.

As a result, the battery dies fairly often, even when I start it up once a week.

Wally world used to swap them out restart the warranty...no questions asked.

The last time I went in, some old crone wanted to "prorate my warranty"
I pointed to the old and new batteries and said "What part of unconditional do you not understand"?

She called her supervisor who basically told her to shut the Eff up and give me my battery.
jt325i
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:15:07 PM
Kirkland battery from Costco if you have a membership.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2