Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 8:50:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought we had to boycott Snap-On-Tools because they  were sponsering Rosie.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
wow, I hope what Halfcocked said ain't true, I like my snap-on tools... Havent bought any in a year or so, the 2 guys who had trucks for our area were losers.  Never ordering stuff they said they would, or forgetting to put it in the truck. That's if they showed up at all.. pretty sad. service wasnt so great but nice tools (and you do pay for 'em!)
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
i own about $2k in snap-on...and a bunch of matco, sk-wayne, wright, craftsman, cornwell, proto, bluepoint hand tools and boatload of specialty brand tools.

no flame intended, but without a doubt, snap-on is the most overpriced, over-rated tools in the above list.

i bought snap-on bcause our salesman was a good joe. but the matco and cornwell reps had a better rep for replacing busted tools. and yes, all the name brand tools will break if used hard enough.

sears sockets and ratchets are the worst of the lot (guess who makes them?). snap-on screwdrivers are the best, imho.

i haven't earned a living with my tools in over 2 decades, but generally reach for whatever is handy and works, nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I own Craftsman tools almost exclusively. Sears isn't far from my house and you can't beat their lifetime warranty, even though I've never used it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With all the other folks talking about Snap-On tools, I figured I ask this question.

How much money do you have tied up in your Snap-On Tools?

At last check I was just over $35,000 in Snap-On tools. Think of all the guns and mags I could of bought. Oh well the tools make me my income at the moment so it is well spent.
View Quote

$35k? DOH!!! [shock]

I've got just under 10k including rollaway.  Thank god I was a motorcycle tech.

If I had been an automotive or diesel tech, I could easily see spending that kind of cash.

Yeah, Snap On is pricey, but they are nice tools.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
10 to 12K.  Snap-On may be high priced, but comparing them to others is like comparing a yugo to a Cadillac.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a few Snap On specialty tools I have purchased over time but most of mine are Craftsman. I'm not a mechanic so I can't really justify their cost most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Snap-On and MAC about $4500
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]
My favorite Snap-On piece:

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/prybar.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
About $14K-15K of Snap-on tools including rollaway. $7-8K of Cornwell & Matco, and about $1500 of Craftsman.
I like Snap-on's ratchets and wrenches best, they all make good impact sockets, Cornwell has the best prices on OTC pullers and stuff, but their chrome sockets look like shit (the broachings are rough as hell) and don't seem to be of as good a quality as Craftsman sockets. Same with the broachings on their flex wrenches. I also picked up a really nice Ferret Industries digital timing light and piezoelectric diesel timing adapter from Cornwell for a little over half what Snap-on wanted for a digital timing light and harder-to-use luminosity probe diesel timing set. Matco wrenches are pretty nice but Snap-on makes them bigger (I have up to 1 1/2" now and need bigger), and Snap-on 4-way angle wrenches are the best because they have 30* & 60* offsets, unlike the others who only offer 15* & 60* offsets - your standard box/open wrench has a 15* offset open end so you're really only getting 1/2 a wrench if you buy a 4-way angle wrench from anyone but Snap-on. We no longer have a Mac dealer in our area, but everyone I know who has a lot of Mac tools says they're just as good as Snap-on. To me, Cornwell and Matco really don't seem to be any better than Craftsman and cost a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
wow, I hope what Halfcocked said ain't true, I like my snap-on tools... Havent bought any in a year or so, the 2 guys who had trucks for our area were losers.  Never ordering stuff they said they would, or forgetting to put it in the truck. That's if they showed up at all.. pretty sad. service wasnt so great but nice tools (and you do pay for 'em!)
View Quote

It's just a joke.

Rosie, lesbo, Snap-On-Tools...get it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Why does everybody try to be a comedian?

About 12k of Snap-on, Mac, little SK.  Good tools save my hide and save me work.  Junk slips, rounds corners on nuts/bolts and generally are less pleasant to use.  I agree the big names are overpriced but they have a level of quality and functionality way beyond the junk.  Mac used to be pretty good until they went mex.  Real old Mac, like 1950 is MUCH better.  Some Craftsman is OK but a lot of it is not.  Very over rated.  Sears sucks IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
President pogo would introduce legislation requiring a licence to practice comedy, require frequent spot checks by the BATFC, and require the licencee to keep a bound book of all humor attempted by the licencee.

The applicant would also have to demonstrate proficiency in comedy before the licence is granted, and proficiency must be demonstrated again for renewal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Years ago, MAC Tools, aka Matco, used to have a version of Snap-On Flank Drive, but I understand they discontinued it because it cost too much.  Snap-On Flank Drive on Snap-On wrenches and sockets contact the fastener further from the edge therefore reducing the possibility of stripping, grabs even is the fastener corner is slightly damaged.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Snap-On has got about 25K from me ,,, But never will get another penny . WARNING ! Stay away from snap-on credit if ya know whats good for ya.
The tools are great but the corp. is run by Idiot's
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Snap On tool are the best, but overpriced. I've worked in the Marine industry for years and my Craftsman tools continue to work very well even on corroded nuts and bolts,,if I do break something(never out in the field thank God)I just ride to my local Sears and get a replacement, even on "abused" tools. Craftsman has a "professional" grade line of tools, these are even better. My local Sears let me trade in some standard tools for the pro series I paid the differance in the prices.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Isn't Billy Jean King the spokesperson for "Snap on TOOLS"[:D}
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I am what you could call a 'shade tree mechanic' I have a Craftsman roll away box, filled with craftsman tools. I have 3 Snap-on Ratchets (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2). Other than that...nothing. I love my tools and their life time warranties. I ahve about $1k total. $35K for a man who turns wrenches for a living is not unreasonable, just remember me when you retire...Ill take the whole lot off your hands for say...pennines on the dollar?  [0:)][;D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple K in Craftsman tools and I buy Snap-On from my local 2nd hand tool store (Re-Tool, Athens, GA) when the price is right.  I probably have about $1200 in Snap-On.  Agree that Snap-On screwdrivers are the undisputed champ and I like their sockets.  Their 6 pt. sockets are thinner that Craftsman and just as strong.  They are the only sockets thin enough to fit over the transmission pan bolts on my truck.  Sears Professional combo wrenches and ratchets are pretty close to Snap-On IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#26]
About 30K used to be a heavy equip mech. and nothing can compare to the abuse I have given my Snap-On or Mac tools. Over priced, not likley when you figure how much it cost you to stop a job to replace a tool that broke or not having the right tool for the job.. Lost time on the frist one you could have bought a Snap-On

Clinth
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Snap-on is great for specialty tools but for everyday run of the mill box end/open end wrenches and sockets why would you pay Snap-on prices when you can get just as good a warranty for half the price?
I can see pro's buying them because the rep comes to you so you don't have to drive across town to get looked after and because of the pay as you earn policy. But for back yard shade tree types like me..I shop around.
View Quote

Because they're the best. Nothing finer than Snap-On. I'm at about the $24K mark, with workstation, and don't intend to buy much more, but the confidence that comes with them is priceless. No flame, of course, I'm just a 20 year pro and a believer.

Not a thing wrong with Craftsman, SK, Mac, Matco, et. al., just a little more attention given in the production of Snap-On in fit, finish, metallurgy, etc. that I can feel, and I can always find a dealer. Spend the money once.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#28]
At least $5000. Mostly at work, but I've got duplicates of some tools at home.
My favorite is the limited edition fullsize ratcheting screwdriver made in CLEAR.[:)]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I have about $50,000 invested in all of my tools. I quit buying Snap-on except for wrenches and ratchets and sockets when they would not warranty drill bits and taps and dies that were bought when they were covered under the warranty. I felt that Snap-on screwed alot of people that way . Mac tools now gets most of my buisness because they do warranty drill bits and taps and dies. Yes i use my tools to make a living.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top