Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2009 6:32:45 AM EDT
Just curious how do you like your Husqvarna riding mower?  I've decided against John Deere after seeing how they're built and how over priced/over marketed they are for what you get.  Besides HUsvarna started as a weapons factgory overseas which is pretty cool
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont have one, but a buddy of mine does.

Never had any problems with it as far as I know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
They're great!
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Husqvarna is the same as a Craftsman. I've got 54" deck lawn tractor and except for the color, hood, and decals/emblems they are identical. It's not a bad lawn tractor for the money...but it's "run of the mill" and nothing special.

It is not a "lawn and garden" tractor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I've had Craftsman before but it was more money to get into the Craftsman models that had the wheeled decks which I'm really wanting this time...hence why I'm considering the Husqvarna since they all have wheeled decks.  It'll be for mowing 1.2 acres of grass (hardly any trees) so I wanted a descent mower this time around...my last one was an entry level 42" Craftsman w/no deck wheels that wanted to bog badly when the mulching cover was on, not to mention no matter how many times I leveled the deck or changed the blades it would never give me a flat cut
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had most of the brands, I personally have had the best luck with Kabota.  You pay more up front, but less on the back end.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Husky mower, I brought it back after problems with the belt setup and blade indexing. Sure it cut well (the blades overlapped) but, once they got out of sync, that was it!

I purchased a JD GT235 with a Kawasaki 18HP V twin. It is much more heavy duty than the Husqvarna. Please understand that the JD products are not all the same. Some are not Homeless Depot quality. In fact, the Homeless Depot ones are made in a different factory.

Franklin
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have had most of the brands, I personally have had the best luck with Kabota.  You pay more up front, but less on the back end.

Pricey as stated, but Kubota is top notch.  Period.

vmax84

Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]

My neighbor has one. Good mower. he has just put bearings in the deck after 9 years of mowing 3 acres.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
yep.

they dont collect as much crud underneath, either.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I had a Husky mower, I brought it back after problems with the belt setup and blade indexing. Sure it cut well (the blades overlapped) but, once they got out of sync, that was it!

I purchased a JD GT235 with a Kawasaki 18HP V twin. It is much more heavy duty than the Husqvarna. Please understand that the JD products are not all the same. Some are not Homeless Depot quality. In fact, the Homeless Depot ones are made in a different factory.

Franklin

You hit the nail on the head with the JD products. The quality ones are always ranked the best by consumer reports and the guys of this site. That's good enough for me.

I'll probably hold out for a Minneapolis Moline when I need a rider though.

Link Posted: 2/28/2009 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Go Kubota!
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Its the Hat you dislike isnt it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want to cut your mowing time in half go with a zero turn.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Husqvarna:  Screw the deer,  it runs like a sewing machine!

(For those who don't know, Husqvarna has been making sewing machines for a lot longer than they've been making mowers and chainsaws.)

CJ

Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Subnet disapproves of this thread.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its the Hat you dislike isnt it?

LOL....thanks everyone, good info here.

Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Go to the dealer and look.  They are an entirely different line of mowers/tractors than Home Depot sells.  They , Home Depot, sells the ones made to compete with Craftsman, MTD, etc, that is why they have Briggs and Kohler engines.  The dealer sold line has Kawasaki engines in many of their mowers, and Kawasakis are tough to beat!  They also have heavier built axles, transmissions, and frames.  Also, check out what resale will be on a Husky vs. a Deere.  Parts will always be available for the Deere, excellent parts/service network.  It's your money, but, kind of like optics, you get what you pay for!!

kevlars
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#20]
My landlord has both a Husky and a Kubota.

The Husky is OK. Cuts well, deck controls are just fine. Only problem may be the Briggs & Stratton motor. We'll see. He has it because someone owed him money and he took that in exchange. He owns a campground, so it'll get it's use. So far it has held up fine.

He has a diesel Kubota that absolutely kicks ass and goes probably 2X times faster than the Husky. It's just a grass cutting motherfucker that requires little or no maintenence.

The Husky rides like a Sherman tank likely does. Jar yer fillins loose for ya.

The Kubota is a relatively smooth ride.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
No Husqvarna rider for me.  My dad had nothing but trouble out of his.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Craftsman (Same as Husky) 20 hp Kohler 42" cut. Bought it new in '04.
Cut 4.5 acres of rough terrain. Only things I have done so far is change oil, and replace the blades
2 times.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was little I had to use  push mower for a 1 acre yard. Today people buy riders for less.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I got the 46" husky with the briggs motor last year. Good mower, more grease points than the similar craftsman and deere. Which is weird since they come from the same factory. I like it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I was little I had to use  push mower for a 1 acre yard. Today people buy riders for less.

I have a 1/4 acre lot with a 2500 square foot house and an enclosed pool.  And I have a 42" cut Toro rider.  

Mowing lawns SUCKS.  The only reason grass was put on this earth is to keep the dust down.   And maybe to give your
kids something to do to keep them out of trouble.

Any tool that makes it faster and easier to mow the lawn is better.

The best one of all is the "telephone".   Pick it up,  call some yard monkey, and pay HIM to do it for you!

CJ
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
20 year old snapper rear engine riding mower.  best ever.  no other brand in the same size range can compete with it for durability and quality of construction.  28" to 42" models available.  I like the 33" the best.

all the bulk retail sold husky, sears, mtd type mowers are junk.

whatever brand you choose, shop & buy from an independent authorized dealer.  they carry better products with service to match.

-frank
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Husky 20 HP/46" deck that I got from Lowes.
I love it!!!
I just changed the oil and need to know how to get rid of the message on the display that says "change oil" on the hour meter.
Anyone know how to reset it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
20 year old snapper rear engine riding mower.  best ever.  no other brand in the same size range can compete with it for durability and quality of construction.  28" to 42" models available.  I like the 33" the best.

all the bulk retail sold husky, sears, mtd type mowers are junk.

whatever brand you choose, shop & buy from an independent authorized dealer.  they carry better products with service to match.

-frank

Snapper is the brick shithouse of little mowers.  

If I could have swung the extra couple hundred last year I would have gotten it.  
Cub was my second choice, and it worked great all last year.  ( the key position for mowing in reverse is the best feature on it,  some mowers tend to be a real pain in the ass when you want to back up)

as a side note, not related to riders, but I picked a Snapper Hi-vac out of a junk pile last summer, it was 18 years old,  I fixed a broken wire on the coil pack and it fired right up.   The little 3.5hp briggs on it will out work my 7hp craftsman hands down.  It is a little beast.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Husq, craftsman and a few others- cant remember if it was Troy bilt and Toro are all built under contract by the folks at Electrolux.   If you look on the serial number plate you will see the same 800 XXX-XXXX service number on all of them- either on the back of the chassis or under the seat.  Worked at Lowes for 2 years and I used to laugh at customers who would only buy a Craftsman cuz it was made by Sears or a Husq because it was made in Sweden.... what a riot.  Now the folks at Electolux also make lawn mowers for these folks, chain saws, lawn trimmers.  They are some talented people who work there!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a Husky 20 HP/46" deck that I got from Lowes.
I love it!!!
I just changed the oil and need to know how to get rid of the message on the display that says "change oil" on the hour meter.
Anyone know how to reset it?

Anyone?

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]
got one and love it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Have a Husky,only bought it because it was orange, on sale at Home Depot and even less if I signed up for a new card.It mows fine but at only a season old,wouldn't expect it to have any issues.I like the deck washout but I guess most mowers these days have them?Sorry,I'm not exactly Hank Hill when it comes to lawn and lawn and garden accessories.It replaced a 10 year old Murray that no longer turned due to the teeth of the steering mechanism wearing away.The old bastard still fired right up and did a good job of keeping mosquitos away as well.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you want to cut your mowing time in half go with a zero turn.

+1  I use a yazoo.  Nothing quite compares imho.  

yazoo mowers
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Good decision. My Deere L130 spindels started locking up at 6 hours.
The company knows there's a problem and will not fix it.
"Bottom of the line mower" is what their guy told me at their dealership in LaPlace, La. They don't give a shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top