Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 11:50:50 AM EDT
I've got National Geographic Topo! CD-ROM and I need something better than the mouse to draw with the cursor. Something like a pen device so my tracing can be accurate. I suppose you have to unhook the mouse and use the same plug-in. What's available?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:44:25 PM EDT
At the pink barf computer store I go to, they were selling these drawing pads (a little smaller than a mousepad) for like $20. IIRC it plugged inline with the mouse. I was gonna see if I could get one, but when I went back the next week they were all gone. I wish I remembered who made those things.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:29:57 PM EDT
Take a look at the Wacom Intuos USB drawing tablets. A lot of the schools use them in their graphics arts programs. Here is a fairly moderately priced tablet. [url]www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=IN9272&cat=pc[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2002 2:17:04 PM EDT by punkatomic]
mattja, moderately priced at $349 !!!! No, I'm looking for something akin to a mouse in function and price only it works like a writing instrument (pen, pencil) would. I did some searching on the internet and all I can find are devices called Graphics Tablets ranging in price from about $80-400. Is this the only way to have the versatility of a writing tool in a mouse function mode? If this is the only option, how about a mouse with a trackball for increased controllability as a tracing device?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:22:25 PM EDT
punkatomic, yeah, those suckers are expensive, especially the good ones like the one I mentioned. They are pressure sensitive, which allows you to treat the pen almost like a paint brush. I thought I saw some cheaper ones at warehouse.com too. Around $99? Yep, graphics tablets. My wife used them during her graphics arts major at college. I don't know if there's anything else available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:28:37 PM EDT
stick with wacom. best things going. this might be better for you. [url]http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:10:51 PM EDT
I've got a little (4" x 5" surface) Wacom pen tablet/mouse combination. Bought it at Comp USA for about $80. My daughter wanted it for tracing. It uses USB and the old mouse still works. Works pretty good. It has a lift-up transparent top that you can slide a paper under and trace. Has a scroll wheel on top of the mouse. The pen has erase function on the other end and a button for right-click or double-click. I like it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:09:26 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies, I bought a Logitech Marble Mouse with a trackball. It will trace better than a mouse so I'll see how I like it.
Top Top