Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 4:17:52 PM EDT
I was asked to show them ID. My wallet that holds my Drivers License, and another card. They are see through ones, so you can look at it, without taking the card(s) out. I just happened to have my NRA member card in the top.

The bank teller asked me if this was my "gun permit". I replied, "No, that is my NRA membership card. Oregon doesn't require a firearms license, like some other states." Then she said that people come in showing her the "gun permits" as a form of second ID. I then again told her that OR does require a license for firearms.

I live in Oregon, have a few firearms(most bought through FFL), and to the best of my knowledge, you do NOT have to have a firearms permit for any type of weapon (handgun, shotgun, rifle).

Am I wrong? If so, when did this go into effect?

Or was the lady just uneducated?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure she was talking about concealed handgun permits.  They're issued with a photo, so would work well as a photo ID.  I haven't heard of any weapons permit, wouldn't worry about it either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sure she was talking about concealed handgun permits.  They're issued with a photo, so would work well as a photo ID.  I haven't heard of any weapons permit, wouldn't worry about it either.
View Quote

Never even thought of that!!!! She said she had seen lots of them lately!

Good to know they're around!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
 Interesting..... not all CCW permits have a photo attached to them though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In Nevada some genius came up with the idea of putting your social security number on the face of your DL. I always show my CCW first and usually have to explain why I didn't just show my DL. I would say 80% of bank tellers and the like have no idea "normal" citizens can get a CCW, they always say they thought only leo's can get em. It takes a bit longer to not show a DL and sometime I am told they require a DL and have to show it, but I try at all costs not to, no one needs to see my SSN.
View Quote

Some states allow you to opt out of a SSN on your DL and they issue you a # instead. onder if NV has that option?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some states allow you to opt out of a SSN on your DL and they issue you a # instead. onder if NV has that option?
View Quote

Ohio be one of those states.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Missouri gives you three options on numbers on your drivers licene...you can use your SS #, pick a number or they pick one for you....I thought this was a pretty cool idea.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Arizona used to allow you to use your SSN as your DL number, but recently abandoned that practice and issued DL numbers to everyone that had been using their SSN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top