Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 3:14:06 PM EDT
[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25918[/url]

This is really scary.  This article is saying that Iraq has the capability to launch radiological, chemical, and biological warheads as far as 2,000 miles.  Alot has changed since the Gulf War.  If we attack him again, we have to do it HARD.  No pussy-footing around, because Saddam is sure to have several tricks up his sleeve this time around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course he has some new goodies waiting for us.  When the Iraqis "complained" about the "frequent UN inspections" the Klintoons naturally just said, "Okay, we'll stop.  Sorry to have bothered you."

The "unconditional surrender" that was signed by the Iraqis after we spanked them royally has become a farce. You can than the spineless politicians for that, and the mess is will cause in the future.

CMOS

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Iraq did have a small working super cannon, a proto-type for a full sized super cannon capable of intercontinental delivery. That is until Israel flew over and blew it up. They also assasinated the man who built it for them. If Iraq ever tries to build another one, Israel will just blow it up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sodie did you read the article?  They talk about what you just wrote.

It's been several years since we've had inspectors on the ground--We don't know what capabilities Iraq has.  Even [b]with[/b] the inspectors on the ground, we didn't know.

You sound so sure that Saddam does not have this capability.  I wouldn't be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not and never have been in the military so cut me some slack here. But didn't canons go out with the civil war? I predict they will be destroyed 5 minutes after the war starts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just read it. I saw a made for TV movie that explained most of this story a while back, good flic. I think it was called "Supergun" or something like that.

Those super guns are really really big. Even the small one they made was about a hundred feet long and built into exposed bedrock. They can't be moved or hidden. The whole thing takes up huge building complex to operate. A hidden full sized super cannon, once fired, will be a sitting duck.

The Germans also had a love for giant artillery, but as everyone learned, they were largely symbolic and did little damage as compared to conventional delivery systems. They also were all easily located, identified and later destroyed. These super cannons are just a big waste of money, except for maybe the potential for launching low earth orbit satalites. The V2 was much better as was the scud missile.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Not in the least bit surprising. I remember reading intel reports given to congress esitmating that several Major ME countries would have first strike capabilities against US targets by 2008-2010. And this was back in 99.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
A "supergun" is somewhat useless. It is a stationary target, expensive, and once it fires a round it will be the target of a massive airstrike.

They are a drain on resources. Iraq would better spend their money by upgrading the range and avionics of the Scud missile.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Those over-size BB guns will go bye-bye after one push of a jolly red candy-like button.

When SHTF down there, make no mistake, we'll hit first, and WHEN we do, any threat that Iraq poses will be gone in hours.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
This is possibly the most assinine article I have seen all year.  I will believe that Arabs will fight alongside Jews when I see it.  I will also not believe that Turks will be chummy with Kurdish military forces until I see it.

Let's see, everybody in the region(except the Kurds) hates the Kurds.  Everybody in the region(except the Jews) hates the Jews.  Now the two pariahs are going to be welcomed into the Arab fold?  Not bloody likely.  

This article is 100% unadulterated shite. These mysterious Iraqi special units, how exactly are they going to flit about undetected by air-sea-land-space superiority that we enjoy right now?

And I think that even Gerald Bull would have had a hell of a time slinging a large shell 2000 miles.  Astrophysicist my ass. He was an artillery designer and a damn good one, but this article is a laugher.

The only thing that the article DID NOT claim is that native Mexicans are descended from the long lost Aryan Knights of the Templar.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
As I recall the inventor of the "Super Gun" was a Canadian.
Also as I recall these weapons were not terribly expensive to build.

I believe I can buy-into few shots before destroyed but not the "one-shot" theory. Although one shot of the wrong stuff (techno-word) might be too many.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
 Just like ELVIS! Gerald Bull and his supergun (originally and offshoot of the H.A.R.P) still lives. The HARP (high altitude research project) not to be confused with the other HAARP Alaska project was design to determine the feasibility to launch a projectile into the upper atmosphere and put it into orbit. The idea was to eventually seek an alternative way to put a satellite into orbit. The project was..... well lets just say, there are interesting stories surrounding its short life.

By the way. the HARP gun, last I heard, is still fully functional and consists of two 16" barrels...OK cannons... put together end to end.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
5subslr,

They did get Gerald Bull's nationality correct (if memory serves).  He was a Canadian, and he was an excellent artillery engineer, but I don't remember a damn thing about him designing missles, although I imagine he could have.  He worked on that artillery space launch program that the US had in Bermuda (HARP?), and he also designed the base-bleed shell for the South African G-5 howitzer, which the Iraqis certainly did have.

This article is based loosely on facts, but on the whole makes no real sense.  I guess that's why I have a burr about it.  :)

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They did get Gerald Bull's nationality correct (if memory serves).  He was a Canadian, and he was an excellent artillery engineer, but I don't remember a damn thing about him designing missles, although I imagine he could have.  He worked on that artillery space launch program that the US had in Bermuda (HARP?), and he also designed the base-bleed shell for the South African G-5 howitzer, which the Iraqis certainly did have.

This article is based loosely on facts, but on the whole makes no real sense.  I guess that's why I have a burr about it.  :)

View Quote

They got a lot of things wrong in that article.

First, the large "Babylon" supergun that could shoot projos 1700 miles and drop them on Tel Aviv had a 1,000 mm bore.  The smaller 330 mm "Baby Babylon" was just a demonstrator and only fired horizontally.

The reason the Mossad killed Dr. Bull wasn't because of the Babylon gun - it was his work on Scuds.  It was actually just a sideline, but he made improvements and used the same carbon-fiber fabrication being used for the big gun's sabots to make improved Scud nose cones.

Gerald Bull was brilliant, but short-sighted and didn't understand the politics involved.  The Mossad dropped several hints to Bull to try and persuade him to stop working for the Iraqis, and finally had to kill him to stop the project.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
5subslr,

View Quote

I understand the facts are few and with a high probability there's absolutely nothing to this.

It's just that dismissing "posibilities" out of hand have done this nation no good in the past.

The day before "Sputnik" was launched had the internet been in existence the response to the possibility of the Soviets actually orbiting a vehicle would have been the same as response to the "cannon."
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 Just like ELVIS! Gerald Bull and his supergun (originally and offshoot of the H.A.R.P) still lives. The HARP (high altitude research project) not to be confused with the other HAARP Alaska project was design to determine the feasibility to launch a projectile into the upper atmosphere and put it into orbit. The idea was to eventually seek an alternative way to put a satellite into orbit. The project was..... well lets just say, there are interesting stories surrounding its short life.

By the way. the HARP gun, last I heard, is still fully functional and consists of two 16" barrels...OK cannons... put together end to end.
View Quote

And your point ??
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]
iraqs super cannon eh???

[img]http://www.hk94.com/images/11-3083a.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

used to be a really cool movie on HBO about this
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
used to be a really cool movie on HBO about this
View Quote

[b]Doomsday Gun[/b] (1994) with Frank Langella and Kevin Spacey.  I think I still have it on tape from way back when...

Ah!  Here's a link...
[url]http://www.bigstar.com/search/index.cfm/?fa=qt&titleid=1053571&fmt=[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
The article was incorrect on one point.  The multi-national force would likely consist of U.S. forces, Somalis, and Icelandic mercenaries, with backup provided by Viking and Zulu warriors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top