Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 8:01:41 PM EDT
my fiance has always wanted a garand.  he even went through the CMP match thing.  and he was going to make it his next gun.

so he walks in the door tonight, late, and says, "i don't think the garand is going to be our next gun."  surprised, i asked him why.

"well,"  says he.  "first off, there are other rifles i'd rather have.  second, those other rifles are more in line with the type of competition/match shooting i'd like to get into.  and third, the next one is in the back seat of my car."

and the best part of it is that he tries to tell me it's my gun...as if that will take the heat off of him.  (not that there's much heat to begin with...i've never been upset at bringnig home new guns).  you guys ever do that to you wives/GFs? i thought it was hilarious.  by the way, it's an M96 swedish mauser, dated 1899.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Several years ago, I got my wife a Beretta 686. It's a 20 gauge and matches my 12 gauge. She wanted to be the first to shoot her new gun and got pissed when she discovered I had taken it out. It has become my gun now.[}:D]

I really did not plan it that way, but, I'm not complaining either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is the reason not to buy a Garand? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
And a M96 is a sweet rifle.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
... No [b]ARlady[/b], my famous line when I was married was
"[i]... oh no honey, it's not new, we've had [u]that[/u] one for years![/i]"
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahaha...Classic! Hahahaha!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I always KNEW you were evil ARLady.

THIS thread PROVES it!!!!!!!!!!!
[}:D]

(just kidding)

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm selling my Polytech M-14 this weekend to buy a Garand.

I gave my father a 1943 Saginaw M1 carbine for Christmas and I want a 43' dated Garand for me to match...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hehe.
That worked in our relationship for the first 10 yrs or so.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe four out of the last seven purchases were "for" my wife.
"What???? You don't like it?? You sure you don't want it??? I suppose I could use it........."
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#13]
ARLady,
excepting the fact that Garands are "old reliable guns" I see no reason not own one.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#14]
OT: Remember when you get your M1 Garand or any complete gun from DCM/CMP make sure you save the paper work.  It is only proof that you have it was genuine U.S. GI issue. There are quite a few imitations/fakes out in the real world.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Swedes are great shooters!

I have a M96 sporterized one that was my first centrefire rifle.

After I learned about firearms a bit more I felt so ashamed that I had cut the life out of a piece of history....THAT I BOUGHT ANOTHER!!!

Then I bought a M38 just to make a set!

Sniff...

I am feeling all warm and fuzzzy with memories of that first gun...

I think I will have to take that old girl out to the range this afternoon...its been a few years since she was out!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully I'll have a Garand in a few months.  Gosh, I love being single, noone to give me grief over buying my toys!  Next year, after I pay off the truck, I'll have much more $$ for toys, too!  :)

Repeat after me... There IS NO reason NOT to own a Garand...

BTW, any computer gamers, check out Medal of Honor Allied Assault.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Another misleading title just to get attention. I don't understand this ARlady, you always have everybody's attention. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Sooooo...what's the minimum amount of sex before he buys me a gun? [:O]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#21]
As the UPS truck arrives.

"oh that must be that back order, finally got here."
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Buying a Swedish Mauser didn't prevent me from getting a Garand.

Going By Memory:
There are a few different sectors on the round brass disk that detail the condition of the rifle.  The smallest sector relates the barrel condition with a 1 2 and 3 in it. 1 being barely fired.  The designated # has a little triangle stamp on it.

Another larger sector has the bore diameter on it in metric. There are two rows of numbers the bore could be 6.4Xmm or 6.5Xmm in diameter. Triangle stamp designates the x digit.

There are no "sight settings" on the disk.  The closest thing to this is the sector that uses units of (obscure nordic) angular measurement to tell exactly how the sights relate to bullet impact/zero.

--------
"Do something to help others, such as donating time or resources."
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#23]
nothing quit like bump fireing a garand ehh dvd tracker [:D] i got to try that
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a garand, it is a sweet rifle, very handy, mine is a tanker and is as compact as the AR. But I got the  wife a  Browning HI Power so she would give me back my 1911, abnd yes I let her shoot it first,
For my friend I call up his wife every few months, as for him with an official voice and tell her to tell him he has won a ________ gun at our raffle. Could you let him know so he can come pick it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My prediction:  The Garand purchase is postponed, not canceled.

[:D]
View Quote

for sure!  how do i know?  he's already got the ammo and clips (they are clips, aren't they?) for one!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#26]
M4A3......
this was the year to buy the Saginaw M1s, they closed the plant this year to ship operations to Mexico and that sparked a lot of people to buy for memories sake.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats on the new gun!! [:)]

The only reason I can think of not to buy the garand is you might get Garand Thumb.  First time I loaded a Garand, the bolt slamed on my thumb. Hurt like hell for a week.

That never happend again. Other than that, great rifle.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#28]
There is absolutly no good reason not to buy the GREATEST BATTLE EMPLEMENT EVER DEVISED.  Sounds like someone got impatient and could not wait any longer for a new gun, no matter what it was.  Swedes are nice to but they ain't no GARAND trust me.

ROCK ON   [50]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is absolutly no good reason not to buy the GREATEST BATTLE EMPLEMENT EVER DEVISED.  Sounds like someone got impatient and could not wait any longer for a new gun, no matter what it was.  Swedes are nice to but they ain't no GARAND trust me.

ROCK ON   [50]
View Quote

sounds like someone completely missed the whole point of the post.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Only ONE reason I can think of......not enough $$$..........[:(]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
The only reason I can think of not to buy the garand is you might get Garand Thumb. First time I loaded a Garand, the bolt slamed on my thumb. Hurt like hell for a week.

If it only hurt for a week you were just  nibbled on.

ahh the familier sound of M1 thumb
click,snap,@%#$
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#32]
You cannot own only one. They get lonely. They all spent the war years together and the've all been stored together for so many years. "They are just like cats dear you must have at least two". My wife understood so I have three. Was afraid one of them might get sick so I got the extra one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Every military collection needs a Swede and a Garand. I like to shoot Sierra 160gr GKs from the Swede. They are impressive projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#34]

po89mm

LOL me too.

You wrote almost the exact same thing I did.  [:)]

I'm surprised more people haven't admitted they got Garand Thumb.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top