Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 4:01:07 PM EDT
Hey, I just got back from a holiday trip accross the country. . . heard 2 particular things that really alarmed me. 2 of the airports, we were told to have our "tickets and goverment ID out and available" before we reached the gate (sure, a D.L. Is gov. I.D., so that's not bad, but now ONLY Gov. ID counts? -Hell, I don't think they should ID you at all).

Also, leaving Portland, at the security checkpoint, the Pre-security checkpoint security checkpoint that makes sure you're cleared to go to the security checkpoint asked to see our tickets, followed by "I just need to check and make sure you all your papers are in order". Then he decied they had to be in a diffrent order, and reorganized them before he gave them back and said we could go.

Little minor things, but thay make you think. I'm behind this fatherland security thing err, I mean, homeland security thing, about -100%.

-Justin
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Citizen, let me verify that your registration is in order. Please bend over so I can scan your rectum.

Hehe [(:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
"[i][b]New Liar Test Could Become Standard at Airports[/b]
LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have developed an instant lie detector technique which picks up mini hot flushes around the eyes and could lead to truth tests becoming standard at airport check-ins, the journal Nature reported on Wednesday.

In the new tests developed by scientists at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, a high definition thermal-imaging camera scans a person's face to see if they blush when answering a question.

In theory, blood should rush to the eye area of liars, researcher James Levine said, while the innocent remain coolly and calmly unaffected.

Experiments in which 20 people were randomly asked to stab a mannequin, rob it of $20 and then profess their innocence, showed the technique to be as effective as existing lie detector, or polygraph, tests.

The thermal camera correctly picked out 75 percent of the 'guilty' individuals and 90 percent of the 'innocents', a control group who had no knowledge of the mock crime.[/i]" ...

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020102/sc/science_liars_dc_1.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Doublefeed,

I'm sorry, what's a MEPS station? Not hardly anybody around actually, it was 10 pm Christmas Eve.

Wolfpack. I don't really have a problem showing my Drivers Liscense, excapt for the fact that EVRYONE want's your ID for ANYTHIGN these days. I bought a ticket, and I have it in my hand, why even send me the ticket if your are gonna check my ID and look in the trusty ol' computer anyway? Hell, they gave us "bording passes", and when I go to board the plain, they asked for the  "tickets" I incorectly gave them the bording pass that I got at the front counter when I showed THEM my tickets and they took the stubs. They said they didn't want my boarding pass, they wanted my TICKET again. SO I showed them that. the other 5 times I boarded a plane that trip, I NEVER pulled ANY of the boarding passes out of my pocket, just the ticket and ID. SO WTF is the point of that?

I'm stating not that these event were "problems" mearly that they were alarming to me, AKA got my attention, made me think. I haveway thing the guy who asked for my papers phrased it that way intentionally, just because he was board, but the point is, it makes you think.

In a country founded upon keeping the Gov. from interfering in the daily life of a citizen, I found the call for "goverment ID" not to be a tyranny, but it did make me think about gov. interferance in our lives. I wasn't boarding a gov. aircraft, it was privatly owned and opperated. The private company operating it shoudl ahve the right to require whatever ID they wan't, if you don't like it, use a diffrent private airline.

-Justin

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried to exchange some tee-shirts at Wal-Mart the other day (someone gave me the wrong size for Xmas), and the counterbitch demanded my driver's license so she could enter the information into Wal-Mart's tracking computer.

Not that I ever shop at Wal-Mart, but that's the last time I ever shop at a Wal-Mart. . . .

Anyone want some size "L" Hanes plain white tee-shirts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, what's a MEPS station?
View Quote

MEPS = Military Enlistment Processing Station
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Citizen, let me verify that your registration is in order. Please bend over so I can scan your rectum.

Hehe [(:)]
View Quote

Hmmm, into that?

Well, someone has to take advantage of the easy ones.   BSEG
Borg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top