Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2009 9:16:54 PM EDT
Six years after we heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say 'Hasta la vista' for the last time, The Terminator franchise is back.

In a change of direction, Charlie's Angels director McG has taken over the helm from James Cameron and cast British actor Christian Bale as John Connor in Terminator Salvation.

In a vow to fans who had mixed responses to Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines, McG has promised more credible acting and a realistic portrayal of the post-apocalyptic world.

'Salvation takes place in 2018, so you see the research and development that went into the T-800. It's like the polio vaccine - you've got to go through a lot of lab rats to get to vaccine.

'In this film, humans are the lab rats. Skynet is testing on us to figure out how to make a photorealistic, leaner, smaller, more capable machine - the T-800.'

In the film, Bale plays young soldier John - the son of Sarah Connor who was portrayed as a teenager by Edward Furlong in Terminator II: Judgment Day - who is working his way up the human resistance and is finding it hard to gain the trust of his comrades because of his knowledge of the Skynet computer system.

John has a personal vendetta with the Terminators who killed his mother (originally played by Linda Hamilton) and his father and is fated to be the leader of the human resistance against Skynet and its army of killing machines.

The future he was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row.

Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past.

As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on a journey that takes them into the heart of their operations, where they find out a terrible secret that may lead to the possible annihilation of mankind.

On a mission: The robots of Terminator Salvation

Fight to the death: One of Skynet's remote-controlled motorcycles, which aims to kill humans

Man versus machine: John Connor (played by Christian Bale) confronts a Terminator in the new film

Built to kill: Inside a Terminator factory

Dangerous when wet: The hydrobot patrols the waters, adding to Skynet's lethal arsenal

Devastation: A cityscape lies in ruins after being ravaged by Skynet

Destruction: A sketch of McG's vision of the post-apocalyptic world

An intense moment between Bale's John Connor character and Sam Worthington as Marcus Wright

Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Arnold said 'Hasta la vista' in T3?

Edit: Oh and the new movie looks badass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the terminator motorcycle is a fantastic idea.

A humanoid robot bent on killing you is bad, but a semi-familiar machine? Even more scary, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.  Thanks for the pictures.   2009 looks to be a good year for action films.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't fucking wait!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Kewl    Thanks for the pics
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Words cannot describe how badly I want this movie to not suck. I don't see how it could though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Words cannot describe how badly I want this movie to not suck. I don't see how it could though.

terminator 3.  nuff said
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Terminator crotch rockets? Just MHO but that reeks of cheeseiness.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

they looked bad ass in the previews IMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9ooaozu-8

one of the main things that got me excited about the movie
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Terminator 3 sucked donkey smegma
I have hopes for this one not to
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I must be getting old because it looks boring to me. Too cheesy, like a video game. T1 was great though. T2 meh. T3 abject fail.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I must be getting old because it looks boring to me. Too cheesy, like a video game. T1 was great though. T2 meh. T3 abject fail.

Huh?
One of the best action movies of all time?
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm just hoping this doesn't end up looking and feeling like Transformers.  From the previews though, I'm probably going to walk out disappointed... unless the scriptwriting and acting can make me look past the filmography and robot designs.

I think a lot of the terror and appeal of the first Terminator movie has been lost with all of these fancy CGI graphics and fast-moving robots.  The first and second Terminator movies were like a great 1-man zombie movie, and it was scary because this 'thing' wouldn't die, it's movements were somewhat slow and deliberate, and it was relentless.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? One of the best action movies of all time?

Seriously! WTF

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? One of the best action movies of all time?

Seriously! WTF

HUGE +1
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm just hoping this doesn't end up looking and feeling like Transformers.  From the previews though, I'm probably going to walk out disappointed... unless the scriptwriting and acting can make me look past the filmography and robot designs.

I think a lot of the terror and appeal of the first Terminator movie has been lost with all of these fancy CGI graphics and fast-moving robots.  The first and second Terminator movies were like a great 1-man zombie movie, and it was scary because this 'thing' wouldn't die, it's movements were somewhat slow and deliberate, and it was relentless.

I'm with you on that, bro. Fast Terminators are as lame as fast zombies.

Slow and relentless, that puts the fear into you.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Agreed, they're contrived.  I predict another Transformers.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The trailer looks friggin sick. HK 416 vs terminator skull = win.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Twin miniguns and quad Brownings.

Pitiful hu-mans! You have no chance now!

EDIT: I just noticed it looks like a mechanical skeleton merged into the lines of the bike: legs, pelvis, spine, ribcage etc. Creepy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Come on, the director of "Charlie's Angels".  This is going to sux.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/03/article-1134971-0348FF26000005DC-955_634x306.jpg

That bike would be sick to own and it would be something that in the dark you would only see a red eye.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quit destroying peoples excitement for a movie just because you can't get over who the director is for fuck sake.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/03/article-1134971-0348FF26000005DC-955_634x306.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed it looks like a mechanical skeleton merged into the lines of the bike: legs, pelvis, spine, ribcage etc. Creepy!

Reminds me of HR Geiger stuff.

I hope it's good.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me of HR Geiger stuff.

I hope it's good.

yea a little
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#25]
John has a personal vendetta with the Terminators who killed his mother (originally played by Linda Hamilton) and his father and is fated to be the leader of the human resistance against Skynet and its army of killing machines

She died of leukemia according to Terminator 3, so I guess they are throwing out the third film altogether.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A humanoid robot bent on killing you is bad, but a semi-familiar machine? Even more scary, IMHO.

I wish I was better at computer art, because the idea of a Terminator Dustbuster just popped into my head.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Actually, the terminator motorcycle kind of makes sense. The tooling for motorcycles is already there, and a motorcycle can move with more freedom than a car. Skynet could use an existing factory to churn out modified motorcycle terminators with minimal effort compared to building a new factory from ground up...
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What happens after it falls over?

I would LOVE to see the future war finally. We've seen the TechCom geurillas fighting with laser rifles (firing realistic invisible beams) for brief moments, as well as the land and air Hunter-Killers. We've also seen T-800 endoframes fighting as infantry, but they could have been unfinished infiltrators (the entire idea behind the Terminator series was to infiltrate human holdouts and kill them from the inside) pressed into service during the final battle, which Skynet loses (prompting it to send a T-800 back to 1984 and a T-1000 back to 1994 or whenever it was as a last-ditch act of desperation) rather than dedicated infantry.

We know from the little dialogue in the original Terminator film and the expanded series (games, novels, comic books) that Skynet is desperate for resources and uses humans as slaves in labor camps (John Connor was a prisoner in one such camp before escaping and leading an organized resistance against Skynet), and we know that prior to Judgement Day humans were building lasers and plasma rifles which Skynet co-opted for itself, but the timeline in Terminator has changed drastically. Events are unfolding that are completely different from those Reese told Sarah Connor in the original Terminator.

So who knows what the fuck happens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The T-800 Model 101 in the original Terminator was the creepiest robot/AI I have ever encountered in science fiction. It was methodical. It was relentless. It was emotionless. It was darn near unstoppable. It couldn't be bargained with, reasoned with, and it couldn't feel pain, pity, or compassion. It just kept coming, until it killed you. That's all it did. That's all it ever did.

Shotgun blasts, M-16 automatic fire, multiple car wrecks, getting blown up and set on fire by an exploding tanker truck, pipe bombs, and it still kept coming.

It was far scarier than the T-1000 in Terminator 2. The T-X in Terminator 3 was just cheesy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#30]
So, who the fuck is "Marcus Wright"? In the previews, he said they've been at war since either one of them existed, that he tried to kill him, and blah blah but he won't succeed... Who's Marcus Wright? How does he fit in? Is he a terminator also? Whhaaaaat theeeee fuuuuuck
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Only if it can right itself after the front tire comes out from under it in a corner filled with post-apocalyptic road debris.

Armed with conventional firearms, how does it reload itself?
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my main reservation on this movie............the director
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if it can right itself after the front tire comes out from under it in a corner filled with post-apocalyptic road debris.

Armed with conventional firearms, how does it reload itself?

It's utterly useless if it tips over after hitting slick pavement/pot holes/debris, can't go off-road, can't reload it weapons, can only fire straight forward, would have a hard time balancing itself when stopped or moving very slowly, and would be noisy while racing down the road. It'd make more sense to have a Terminator riding an actual motorcycle.

Skynet, in the novels, pretended to be a human in charge of a humanitarian/military organization on a mission to rescue survivors after it fired nukes at everyone (which made Russia, China, etc. retaliate and made everyone else retaliate against them, etc.). Huge population centers, like cities unaffected by the nukes, it released chemical and biological weapons against. Small groups of survivors it rounded up into camps and used as slave labor to retool surviving factories and scavenge materials it needed to build a bigger army and wipe out humanity once and for all. It took a while for people to realize what it was they were up against; John Connor was a prisoner in one of the camps who led a revolt, escaped, and started TechCom as a resistance group. They fought a geurilla war against Skynet's superior weaponry, using weapons that could kill Terminators fairly easily (laser rifles, plasma rifles, etc.), and eventually defeated Skynet because Skynet couldn't get the resources it needed to win and take over the world.

Which is what prompted Skynet to send Terminators back in time to kill John Connor, not realizing that by doing so it would actually create John Connor.

It seems that in the Sarah Connor Chronicles (which I haven't seen, I've only discussed it with folks who are hard-core Terminator fans) that this version of Skynet has caught on to at least some of the mistakes its previous incarnations made in the other timelines and has Terminator infiltrator units in the past working to assemble the resources it needs to win the war. Technology hasn't advanced as rapidly in this timeline as in the original, so who knows how that works.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Well it's got one thing going for it that automatically makes it twice as good as "Transformers", no Shia LeBarf (may he contract herpes, gonorrhea, crabs, and syphilis)

I gotta say, I like the looks of it from the previews. And I remember I had a bad feeling abou transformers when I saw the previews for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top