Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 10:17:26 AM EDT

I think I have a ground hog living in my back yard.  Wish I could shoot it but my neigbors wouldn't like that very much since they are around 40 yards away.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these vermin?
Other than blowing its head off with my AR.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Silencer [img]http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/pics/orig/m1622sd.jpg[/img]

Seriously, I don't know, maybe some tylenol?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Ether and a match. [}:D]

Better yet, one well placed shot with a .22LR. If you're lucky you neighbors won't even notice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Charge the kids $5 to play "Vietnam Tunnel Rat" with your .45.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
There are very few problems in life that can't be solved with an ample dose of high explosive.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]
hehehehe

I like the silencer idea.

Ice, can I borrow your AR? [:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
one car or truck.

one hose going from tailpipe into groundhog hole.

start car.

either block off the second hole or wait by it with a shovel (or other implement of destruction).
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Better yet, one well placed shot with a .22LR. If you're lucky you neighbors won't even notice.
View Quote

That's exactly what I did.  Neighbors never even noticed.  
Ruger 10/22 -
a single shot -
"great big gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts!"

Or gasoline - "Fire in the hole!"

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Put a pan of antifreeze near the entrance to the burrow.  Animals love the stuff because of the sweet flavor, but it is highly toxic.  Be aware that other animals that have access may also consume it.  Your dog for instance.
A better idea is to call your game commission. They'll (live)trap it and remove it, most likely.  The one in PA will, anyhow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
If it was mine, I would let you borrow it, but I just borrowed the pic from Securityarms.com

Still waiting for mine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have a 22, but I do have a 22 conversion kit for my AR.  That might do the trick.

I thinking explosives.  I do have a few cherry bombs left over from something.

thanks for the ideas,

If you have any more, I would love to hear them.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow,

thanks for the great ideas.  
Please keep them comming.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
get some subsonic .22lr, they don't make much of a pop and don't cycle the bolt.[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow,

thanks for the great ideas.  
Please keep them comming.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#14]
.22 with eiter subsonic or the colibri/super colibri ammo the colibri in a rifle makes no noise at all except the hammer fall and the smack of the round hittiing target its low powered tho any more than 50 feet and it starts to drop quick --its better in pistols-- the super colibri is better slightly more power
I have used all three for taking Racoons at night at the trash cans without spooking the neighbors. One of the nice things about the colibri is that it is so low powered you dont have to worry about it going through something if you miss or the target being the wiser as they usually go stock still staring at the ground where you just hit and staying still for a follow up shot.
The Remington subsonic is accurate .22 LR ammo that will knock down some big a-- racoons no problem and at a downward angle shot have stopped some ground hogs dead in thier tracks also with almost no noise. I usually try to get an down angle shot to minimize backround worries and leave the storm window up on the most likely spot I will need to shoot from check sash for ease of movement and quietness contain any pets prior to "engagement".If I get a good downward shot I aim for the wide neck area behind the head body shots tend to set them running and if they get back underground and die....wheew! you'll find the other holes when the start to stink. Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#15]
How about a Compound or Cross bow?  Skewer the little intruder.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Oxy/Acetelene anyone?

hehe, pump that hole up real good then find some way to ignite it from a good distance away.

it's not much different than the Propane "RODEX 4000" that they are using around here to literally blow the squirrels right out of their holes or collapse their holes around them, pump it full of gas then ignite.   WHOOOMP   Look the thing up on the net, they've got some videos of the thing being used down in Australia to cure them of the bunny rabbits, FINALLY SOMETHING TO GET THEM IN THEIR HOLES!   Here I thought I'd need a mortar to get them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#17]
An arrow hit usually lets them get down their holes, often enough with an expensive arrow still embedded in them. Yes, the .22 unit and the subsonics, or CB Caps should suffice. The cherry bombs won't. Gotta plug the other holes for the gas. If can get some calcium carbide, mixing it with water (IN  the hole) and then covering the last hole will kill them in place. Sometimes it will also run them out of another hole. I have always just used boxtraps,made of boards, baited with half an ear of corn, even sweet corn will work, at least until it "ages". Carrots work too. Box traps don't harm cats and other animals that get caught, but if you catch a skunk, they are a hassle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Phostoxin----swift, silent, very deadly....
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the RODEX!!!

Quick search that led me to this...

[url]http://www.rodexindustries.com/r4000.html[/url]

Look towards the bottom for "See the RODEX 4000 in action"

I love the guy being startled when it blows up behind him!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
When you kill the groundhogs, the skunks move into the unoccupied burrows.

So which would you prefer?

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#21]
If you pay $600 for a supressed Ruger 22, can you deduct it as home maintenance?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Thanks all for your great suggestions.

Looks like I'm hunting ground hog this weekend.

I just hope I don't have to post a  "How to kill a skunk" post after this is all over. [:)]hehe

If you want to know,  I decided to use a few techniques.

I'm gonna put on my tactical gear, arm my self with some subsonic 22, tac knife, shovel, cherry bombs, and some gas to burn the little sucker out.

I'll post after the mission is complete.
I know how you members need closure. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmmm....have you ever seen the movie "Caddyshack?"

Well, that's pretty mutch how not to do it. [:D]

Damn, I gotta' go see if the store has it. It's been a long time. LOL
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]
[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/soontobedead.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sledgehammer
View Quote

Great show.  Too bad only lasted two seasons.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#27]
A bolt action .22 and CCI CBs - subsonic .22 shorts.  Don't make any noise at all, but watch your backstop if the area is built up. Don't make yourself a statistic, eh?

You can also try the old sniper trick of shooting through a barely open window to muffle the sound, but still use a subsonic round.  I used to cap groundhogs all the time in a subdivision this way.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL

You guys crack me up!!!

I'm really looking forward to this now.  

Gonna watch caddyshack before I do the deed. hehe  [:)]

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I only like the loud, violent solutions presented.

"You need something very loud and destructive... something loud!"

-------
"Recognize the impact of trauma and know your reactions are common."
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Erasmus,
You in artillery?

Akira,
Don't get arrested, and good luck with your black op.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like I'm hunting ground hog this weekend.

If you want to know,  I decided to use a few techniques.

I'm gonna put on my tactical gear, arm my self with some subsonic 22, tac knife, shovel, cherry bombs, and some gas to burn the little sucker out.

I'll post after the mission is complete.
I know how you members need closure. [:)]
View Quote

Sorry to burst your bubble, akira! But I don't think you're going to have much success.

Here are some things you must consider:

1. Groundhogs (Marmota monax) hybernate in winter.  The VC(Varmint Cong)will NOT show himself before February (March more likely).

2. A groundhog tunnel is about 30'long and may be as deep as 6' (depending on soil hardness), with one main entrance and AT LEAST one or more emergency exits (well hidden). They will have a nest and toilet chamber that will be offset from the main tunnel. The main entrance will be blocked off with dirt during hybernation to save heat. We're talking about a "Tora Bora" like complex here!

3. Groundhogs make great eating (but not immediately after hybernation)!  So don't poison it! I have recipes! [:P]

DaMan

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe it wasn't a ground hog.

This little bugger stuck his head out.
The wife saw it.  Saw its head sticking out.
For your dirty minded, its head that rests on its shoulders.

I saw the mounds.  Could it be something else.
Gopher????

She sad its head a bit smaller than a cats head.

Any clue?

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Akira, don't waste your time trying to gas him or flooding him out. They back fill the burrow down away from the entrance for stuff like that and most of the time have a second entrance. If you have a .223 and some reloading equipment, here's a load that will help. 5.5 grs of Unique (pistol powder) over a 55 gr bullet. This is subsonic and sounds like a .22 but with more UMPH! It won't cycle your bolt but it is very effective. I got several caddy shack stories to tell about my personal experiences with groundhogs. They are irritating destructive little creatures. If you have a groundhog in your yard and it's covered with dead leaves, BEWARE!!! You won't see the hole it left from rooting, and may end up with a broken neck... Kinda like what nearly happened to my friend at my house last spring.

DESTROY THE LITTLE BASTARD!!!!!!!!!

[b]If your neighbors don't mind, just use a 55 gr V-max on him, then post a picture of the red mist.[/b] [;)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#34]
FAE

Need one big old can o gasoline
and a road flare...

pour that stuff down the hole and let sit for a minute then through in flare...

hopefully watch flaming gopher be ejected from his back door...
[}:D]

alternatively a Davy Crocket can be used from a safe distance....
[img]http://www.brook.edu/FP/PROJECTS/NUCWCOST/davy6.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had similar troubles, here is what did/didn't work. The idea to put a peice of pipe on your exhuast, and gas them out will not work. They will seal of the entrance, blocking the exhuast. Flooding the hole will not work either, they dont seem to mind the water. sometimes sticking a peice of tubing deep down into their hole then pouring gas down it and lighting works. The only sure wayt to get rid of it is to shoot it or use a gopher bomb. A gopher bomb is like a smoke bomb, but the smoke is toxic. they can be bought at hardware stores.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Man, you guys have all the luck... I wish we had some vermin here in southern Nevada to plink at!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Man, you guys have all the luck... I wish we had some vermin here in southern Nevada to plink at!
View Quote

The grass is always greener on the other side [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#38]
with a 55 gr. ballistic tip
or a jack russell terrier
send the dog down the hole
he will come back out with a dead chuck!!
buy some 22 cb caps or shorts.
plug him in the head.
neighbors will never here it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Gunbert said:
View Quote

Oh......  But yes you do.

Ever seen a liberalus Kalifonius.  Biggest varmints you ever saw. They are tough to spot because they pose as humans.  [:)]

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Take a jug of Chlorine bleach ( or pure chlorine from a pool store if you can get it)

Pour it down the hole..

Then take a jug of Ammonia cleaner and dump it down the hole...Cover hole FAST!!!

The chemical reaction will result in Chlorine gas!!  

Very nasty stuff.

Worked great on the skunks at my inlaws!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Stormbringer, I did that exact thing once and it didn't kill it. The next day it just cleared it's hole out. The way I finally got rid of it is I shot one of those 38mm flash bangs down the hole. It was cool, it looked like something from vietnam or that movie Clear and present danger.
It took the ground up about 6 feet long and 2 feet deep then set it back down as a pile of rubble.
The reason I know it work is because I found no new destruction.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ever seen a liberalus Kalifonius.  Biggest varmints you ever saw. They are tough to spot because they pose as humans.  [:)]

View Quote

But once you get 'em properly skinned out and prepared, they make for some good eatin'!  They are vegetarians by nature! My friend Jeff sent me some superb recipes that I'll share, if you are interested!  [:P]

DaMan  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Cam-corder

2. CO2

3. Full auto paintball gun

4. Good supply of FROZEN paintballs

A picture is worth a thousand words,
but a vid clip?  [BD] [50]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#44]
 Half a gallon of gasoline, and one or two full propane cylinders.  Propane is an excellent FAE, and it will sink to the bottom of the hole.  Be careful, too much propane will create  a small earthquake, and crack windows.  Let us know what worked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I like the RODEX!!!

Quick search that led me to this...

[url]http://www.rodexindustries.com/r4000.html[/url]

Look towards the bottom for "See the RODEX 4000 in action"

View Quote

Now [b]that[/b] looks like fun![X][}:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#46]
BB/Pellet Gun + 4X scope + Practice + Gopher = FUN
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top