Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 6:21:35 AM EDT
During a wedding last week we had a cocktail or thiry, and a 'friend' decided he needed to punch me in the lower side/back (i would call it a kidney punch myself) he got me pretty good when i was turned around.  to make a short story long, now i have this nasty pain in the front lower (bottom left rib) and espically in the back, just left of the spine about 3 inches.  There is also a nice new lump in my back about where i estimate the lowere rib attaches (or was attached) in the rear.  A friend said it was likley a brusied mucsle or kidney (piss was a little darker for one day but now normal again) so i think that was possible too.  Any suggestions?  I think somthing got knocked loose or broken-but also hear that you "just let it heal" if a rib is broke.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Cleatus!!!
You've certainly been around long enough to know what kind of retards this group has! [;)]

Go to the doctor.  These nutjobs will start giving you tips on field expedient surgery and improvised anesthesia.  Go to the doctor. NOW! [;)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
A friend said it was likley a brusied mucsle or kidney (piss was a little darker for one day but now normal again) so i think that was possible too. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Yeah, go to the doctor![IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/shocked/Oogle_anim.gif[/IMG]  I broke three in a rollover car accident.  You will KNOW without a doubt if you have broken a rib.  The more you move, the more it hurts.

The dark urine doesn't sound a bit good.

Get to the doc!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Ever hear of a guy named Harry Houdini? Houdini died from a surprise kidney punch that ruptured and was left untreated.

ummm.... I would get my ass to the doc and send your friend the bill.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I've broke ribs a couple of times. It hurts like hell, and sometimes you can feel a little knot where they are broken, much like what you describe. If they are indeed broken they will hurt for a [b]while[/b].

If you have good insurance then go to the hospital, if not, then you don't really need to go. More than likely you will only leave with a $1000 ACE bandage to wrap tightly around your torso and maybe some shitty pain killers.

I've been through the blood pissin stuff too. If it goes away quickly and you don't have any further discomfort you'll be alright. Frankly, I'd be thinking more about how to repay your "friend".
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
it turns out this dude was on something-he just started freaking.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it turns out this dude was on something-he just started freaking.
View Quote

He'd be on something alright....My Shitlist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go pistol whip him.  :)  Sounds like those idiot jocks in high school that think its fun to hit their buddies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Hmm, does the "punch a guest in the kidney" come before or after the garter toss?
[:D]

Seriously, sorry to hear about the injury.  See a doctor.  Probably nothing can be done for most broken ribs (I broke one of mine twice).  Just don't laugh or cough - you'll know why.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just don't laugh or cough -
View Quote

Or breathe deep, comb your hair, lay on that side, lift [b]anything[/b], stretch or the absolutely holy grail NO-NO....sneeze.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
God, I remember when I had a cracked rib, then a sneezing fit.  I was seriously thinking about ending my life then.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
God, I remember when I had a cracked rib, then a sneezing fit.  I was seriously thinking about ending my life then.
View Quote

Yup...I snapped three pretty good about 10 years ago, one worse than the other two. It still hurts sometimes when I sneeze real hard.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
when i was in a car wreck last year, i was asking the doc how many ribs i had broken.  he said that my collapsed lungs were more important so he never even counted.  he came back later after looking at the x-rays and i asked again and he said "truthfully, too many to count....a lot" he also said that a couple were fractured in multiple places, and one had broken so badly that it punctured my spleen. needless to say, that was my only shitty experience with a broken rib.  and my only advice is to get a morphine drip! it hurt like a bitch when i did anything. you need to go to the doc because all your precious internals are nestled right behind those ribs. where you describe is right about where the spleen is, so go get that taken care of. good luck and i'd make sure that your 'friend' gets a swift kick in the jewels.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought the idea at wedding receptions was to empty your kidney into the punch, not punch the kidney.

At any rate, a trip to the doctor isn't a bad idea, especially if your piss is dark. I broke a rib about 20 years ago, and that sucker still hurts every now and then, especially in the cold (like today).  Hell getting old, I guess.

Edited (again) to fix something (else) moronic.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Normally there is not much to do about rib fractures other than pain control. Usually, oral meds are adequate and I doubt that you would get a morphine drip for the injury you describe. I ALWAYS tell pt's with rib fractures, or not, to deep breathe and cough every 1-2 hours. It may prevent development of pneumonia - you get small areas of lung collapse that subsequently become infected, etc.
It can be difficult to determine a small rib fracture or simply a contusion-both can hurt severely for an extended period(weeks).
I would recommend that you see someone to get some pain control as well as chest Xray, urinalysis, not to mention exam. The spleen is in the area(but is more lateral) and I doubt that you would rupture your spleen from a blow such as you decribed. Often splenic pain is radiated to the left shoulder. Actual rupture will cause your pulse to race, lightheadedness, pallor. However, its hard to explain blood in the urine, also. It is possible that if you consumed a large amount of alcohol you developed a brief hepatitis, especially if coupled with tylenol(bad idea, by the way).
Do see a doctor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
However, its hard to explain blood in the urine, also.
View Quote

Even with a punch in the kidney area? He said he was punched in the lower back and I can tell you from experience that it can definately make you piss blood for a day or two.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cleatus!!!
You've certainly been around long enough to know what kind of retards this group has! [;)]

Go to the doctor.  These nutjobs will start giving you tips on field expedient surgery and improvised anesthesia.  Go to the doctor. NOW! [;)]
View Quote

Gee, such a high opinion of this group, don'tcha think
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The pain in your back is from the direct trauma (obvious), the pain in the front is where the boney part of the rib joins the cartilaginous part (dislocated joint).  But this dislocation is a moot point as there's no treatment required.

If it hurts in these areas when you lie on your right side, especially the area on your left side near the back, they you probably do have a rib fracture.  The pain in the front is incidental.

Due to the risk of kidney damage (you've survived so far) you should get a urine test to make sure you're not still bleeding (can't see small amounts.)

IIRC, Houdini had a mild case of appendicitis when hit unexpectedly in the abdomen.  This ruptured his appendix and he died of peritonitis.

No more free advice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Normally there is not much to do about rib fractures other than pain control. Usually, oral meds are adequate and I doubt that you would get a morphine drip for the injury you describe. I ALWAYS tell pt's with rib fractures, or not, to deep breathe and cough every 1-2 hours. It may prevent development of pneumonia - you get small areas of lung collapse that subsequently become infected, etc.
It can be difficult to determine a small rib fracture or simply a contusion-both can hurt severely for an extended period(weeks).
I would recommend that you see someone to get some pain control as well as chest Xray, urinalysis, not to mention exam. The spleen is in the area(but is more lateral) and I doubt that you would rupture your spleen from a blow such as you decribed. Often splenic pain is radiated to the left shoulder. Actual rupture will cause your pulse to race, lightheadedness, pallor. However, its hard to explain blood in the urine, also. It is possible that if you consumed a large amount of alcohol you developed a brief hepatitis, especially if coupled with tylenol(bad idea, by the way).
Do see a doctor.
View Quote

CLEATUS...ARE YOU LISTENING?

At least one physician has answered you here...and all are recommending a trip to the doc.  GO...NOW!

Let us know what they find.

Good luck.

[soapbox]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]
cant....get...to...doctor.....pain....too...much...spleen....bleeding...out....pee...ing...pure...blood...cant.. .stand ..up...or...stop...typing....stupid.......periods.............................................
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, its hard to explain blood in the urine, also.
View Quote

Even with a punch in the kidney area? He said he was punched in the lower back and I can tell you from experience that it can definately make you piss blood for a day or two.
View Quote

He was hit in the ribs or posterior chest wall. Most all of the kidneys are below. Higher and  the chest wall provides quite a bit of protection to underlying structures. Possible? Yes, but unlikely unless he got hit by Mike Tyson. The possible presence of blood in the urine is however, one of the reasons I would recommend that he see a doc and might indicate a more serious injury than he imagines.

Oh, and Cleatus: HAHAHA to you too!
Go see a doc, anyway. You can be seen in a walk-in clinic or urgent care for much less than an ER visit and an appointment is not necessary.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I once fell of a small bridge(3 meters high) and fractured four ribs. Landed my behind in ICU where they found out I had a small pneumothorax(collapsed lung) rightside. And all the time I was lying there telling them it didnt hurt. I was the their worst nightmare, a 16 year old with too much too drink. The real pain was to puke with them broken bones.

One broken rib hurts, more will hurt like one but will pose possible threat..

Go see your doctor ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes I have broken a rib. If it hurts when you breathe, laugh, sleep, or when walking up stairs, you broke it. Go see a doctor and have it x-rayed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I just recently pushed a rib out of place this fall. Hurt like hell. Went to the chiropractor and had push it back in over a few weeks time. Feels alot better now sometimes i'll get a little of pain but that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup.

7th grade football. My first day of starting practice (I had missed a few). Also the first day of contact.

We were practicing tackle. The object was to stand there, have some guy run at you, and not fall over.

I got to stand there and get hit! Took a helmet directly to the left ribs. Hurt like a son of a bitch. Fractured two ribs. I basically went to my knees the inital pain was so bad. Couldnt breath worth shit for about 15 minutes.

Then I got to run a half mile.

I then quit football.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top