Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 3:33:55 PM EDT
After a discussion with my SO about the Times Square events and such she says to me on the talk radio today they were talking about what rights people are willing to give up to achieve security...well after I say none she says she'd be willing to give up some in order for things to be safe...It rang a bell, but I don't know the who/where/when behind it.HELP!!! It was eerie how much she sounded like the quote.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
On of the founding fathers(I can't remember who) said "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safty deserve neither liberty of safty."
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know in what context and approximate date?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Try this.
Take her to a zoo and show her how safe the animals are in their cages...and how miserable their lives have become.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you know in what context and approximate date?
View Quote
From [url]http://www.bartleby.com/100/245.1.html[/url]

ATTRIBUTION: Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

[i]This sentence was much used in the Revolutionary period. It occurs even so early as November, 1755, in an answer by the Assembly of Pennsylvania to the Governor, and forms the motto of Franklin’s “Historical Review,” 1759, appearing also in the body of the work.—Frothingham: Rise of the Republic of the United States, p. 413.[/i]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Kassnar, also explain to her the term "slippery slope" and how it applies here.

I'm quite sure the men and women in Afghanistan were "safe" under Taliban rule...

CMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top