Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 4:43:21 PM EDT
I went all out this year and bought some decent Christmas presents for my family members.  The problem is that due to the holiday rush, I wasn't vigilant in checking to see that the products I bought were made in the USA, as I normally due.
    Well, first of all I spent $200 plus on a Farberware electronic pressure cooker for my mom.  I found the place with the cheapest price on the internet to buy this.  When it arrived I noticed a huge "made in China" printed on the outer cardboard box.  I thought nothing of this, because the boys in China have to eat too.  However when my mom opened the box and found the enitire face panel of the control buttons missing, this got me a bit steamed.  Oh well, just a fluke right?
     Next, I also bought a shop style floor-jack for my dad.  I had no choice in the matter, because all of these seem to be made in China (even the Craftsmans).  Well we put the thing together and try it out on his truck.  Lo and behold, the Chinese made cast iron breaks and one of the casters is lying on its side.
  Finally, the straw that broke the camel's back, and prompted me to post this, was my little nephew's mini-car.  He brings me this Maisto mini car kit that contains parts for you to build your own car.  Simple enough.  Well I get all the decals, wheels, plastic glass and things in place when what do I find?  No screws.

Up till now, I have dealt with the fact that Chinese products have an average life expectancy of 1 month.  But parts blatantly missing right out the box and pieces falling off the first time I use it?  This IS the last draw.  Caveat Emptor! (Buyer beware!)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear ya, I stoped going to Target due to the almost 100% china factor, now the "American" store, Walmart is starting to lose "favorite store" status.. pretty sad.

As far as "iron" goes, the only "foreign" guns I have are Enfield's and a China (1 Type 56 (SKS)).

The SKS was a "pre" and shoots like a champ right out of the old 'cosmoline' (?.. or what ever they put on it!) didn't have to make any sight adjustments at all!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Guys, I started REALLY looking last summer and I honestly believe that EVERYTHING is made in China.....

Fuckin' Commies!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Next, I also bought a shop style floor-jack for my dad.  I had no choice in the matter, because all of these seem to be made in China (even the Craftsmans).  Well we put the thing together and try it out on his truck.  Lo and behold, the Chinese made cast iron breaks and one of the casters is lying on its side.
View Quote

Yeah, I was going to warn you about Communist Chinese automotive equip., quality-wise they are pretty poor.  And could be hazardous to your health if the floor jack collapses and you are under the car.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was going to warn you about Communist Chinese automotive equip., quality-wise they are pretty poor.  And could be hazardous to your health if the floor jack collapses and you are under the car.
View Quote

Yeah, that shit is always fun. I was changing the plugs on my sisters Camaro once and I was under the car when the jack collapsed. I was not injured, but I was completely pinned under the car. My head was turned to the right and I couldn't even straighten it up cause my jaw would hit the car. My legs were pinned down by the ground effects. I was there for about 30 minutes until somebody found me and another 30 or so for somebody to get another jack.

I will only use quality floor jacks from now on.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
We have lost our interest in manufacturing, for the most part.  We would rather sell each other insurance, and cheeseburgers, and software, than make stuff outta raw materials, unfortunately,

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We have lost our interest in manufacturing, for the most part.  We would rather sell each other insurance, and cheeseburgers, and software, than make stuff outta raw materials, unfortunately,
View Quote

We Did Not Loose Our Intreast In Manufacuring Large Greedy Corporations Looks For the cheepest way to Make Stuff and They would Rather Have China Labor For $1.00 A week In setad of $380.00 a week . You get what You pay For .

Quoted:
View Quote

China Buy's All of our Scrap metal ,Crushed cars , washer & dryers & all other scrap  They Pack there ships On the way Back to The New America (CHINA  The Land Of Jobs ) .

[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that shit is always fun. I was changing the plugs on my sisters Camaro once and I was under the car when the jack collapsed. I was not injured, but I was completely pinned under the car. My head was turned to the right and I couldn't even straighten it up cause my jaw would hit the car. My legs were pinned down by the ground effects. I was there for about 30 minutes until somebody found me and another 30 or so for somebody to get another jack.

I will only use quality floor jacks from now on.
View Quote

Oh $hit! I am really glad you weren't hurt. That is really scary.

They had a case here in So. Calif., the Communist Chinese engine hoist collapsed and crashed to death someone.  The U.S. importer lost a law suit.

You have got to put jack stands under there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah guys, don't forget to always use Jackstands for "safety".  Made in China of course!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]NEVER,EVER[/b], get under a car with only a jack holding it up!..use jackstands like 50cali sez..  It is YOUR life you're dealing with..... BE SAFE!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guys, I started REALLY looking last summer and I honestly believe that EVERYTHING is made in China.....

Fuckin' Commies!!!!!
View Quote

It is. It used to be that production was spread out among other Asian countries, but now it's all China. They have the lowest wages and a government that doesn't tolerate any worker "mischief." The great consumer market we were promised there never panned out :)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
New to the rimfire silhouette sport, I bought a KFS NS 522 rifle to use in the hunter class on a recommendation from another shooter.  It's barrel is hammer forged from a very expensive imported Austrian machine.  Unfortunately the action is %100 chinese.  In other words, the barrel can put my shots one on top of the other from the bench.  But when I cycle the bolt, I more often than not have a jam.  Our club gunsmith says he will look at it for me.

As much as republicans like me espouse free trade, I am starting to question its benefits.  American industry is a big reason we kicked ass in WWII and came out strong afterward.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
An even harder task would be to find items made in America by non-union plants.  

I've had first-hand experience with unions.  They harassed me when I refused to join.  The laziest POS's in the plant were the stewards.  They'd file a grievance if the leadman said a word to them.  I cannot support such a corrupt enterprise.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My friend's dad was such a nut about only buying things with the U.S.A. label on it we used to make fun of him, now that I'm older I see he was a very wise man. He even found a camera that was made here, how he found that I'll never know. It's not a case of it being impossible to find everything you need to survive thats made in the U.S.A. just most of us are too lazy to do it I guess, need to make that a new years resolution I guess. Bob
View Quote

It is really hard to find because most of the stores that used to stock this stuff has been driven out of business by the "big-box" stores such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Home Depot. I have real problems finding USA plumbing parts for my house.  The Chincom stuff is so poor in quality that I have to do it again in a few years.  The last USA maker of clothing VSI has closed down its USA factories and is subbing out its production.  In a few years it will be an anomoly to find any that is 100% Made in USA. Today when I find something that says "Made in USA," I buy a few of them because it won't here the next time you see it.  The only thing that will be 100% USA  will be babies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#16]
If it's any consolation, all of my tools, and I do mean ALL of them, are made in the USA.  Mostly good old Craftsman.  Some Snap on and Matco's I recieved as gifts.  I even try to buy made in USA for miscellanious stuff like lock ring pliers.  I bought a Snap on locking hub socket for my Bronco.  Cost $65 from the tool truck compared to $18 for a Chinese made one.  I keep it on my desk and use it as a paper weight though.  Makes me smile every time to see that MADE IN USA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#17]
China is our friend and trade partner. Don't attack our freedoms that our President has so bravely defended.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If it's any consolation, all of my tools, and I do mean ALL of them, are made in the USA.  Mostly good old Craftsman.  Some Snap on and Matco's I recieved as gifts.  I even try to buy made in USA for miscellanious stuff like lock ring pliers.  I bought a Snap on locking hub socket for my Bronco.  Cost $65 from the tool truck compared to $18 for a Chinese made one.  I keep it on my desk and use it as a paper weight though.  Makes me smile every time to see that MADE IN USA.
View Quote

Man sounds like you use your tools to make your living.  The Chincom stuff is okay kinda for occassional home mechanic but, under heavy-duty professional use, you're locking for skinned knuckles and possible serious injuries.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#19]
We need Chinese products.
Where else will we find someone to manufacture fake vomit, Christmas decorations, novelty teeth, little green army-men, funny pencil erasers, rubber doggie-do, and every single thing that is found in a "99 Cent Store".....
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Many moons ago this same quality problem was true of things made in Japan. When I was kid, if something said 'made in Japan' it was a POS.

Today, Japanese cars and electronics are as good any anybodys.

Over time, China will have to produce quality products or they will perish in a free market...as long as people [i]want[/i] quality and not just the lowest price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
This is what "free trade" gets you, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I just thought of something else that happened to me that was pretty funny.

Let me preface this by stating that ALL of the tools I buy are made in America. I don't see any sense in buying tools that cost half the price of good ones because eventually you will just end up buying them again after they break.

Anyways, a couple of years ago my mom got me one of those cheap little tool sets for my birthday or Christmas, I can't remember. It was the one of those that comes with a few little wrenches, tape measure, shitty socket wrench a hammer and other stuff packed in the little plastic boxes. I had been using it for little stuff around the house and I have to admit it was pretty handy to have a bunch of different tools all in a little box.

One day I noticed there was a nail hammered in the closet wall by a previous occupant that was snagging one of my shirts. So I grabbed the little box and got out my little hammer to pull it. Apparently it was driven into a stud and when I went to pull it out, the aluminum shaft of the damn hammer bent in half without even pulling out the nail! WTF? I can't even pull a nail out of a piece of wood without the damn thing breaking? Later that same day the tape measure broke and wouldn't retract with 4' of tape sticking out of it. I couldn't even push it back in, like it was somehow binding on something inside.

What I am curious about though, do the Chinese actually use the same type of junk that they ship over here? Are all of their tools like that or do they make good stuff for themselves and just ship the crap to us?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#23]
[url]http://www.usstuff.com/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#24]
While working the "Friends of the NRA" banquet here locally, I noticed the vast majority of the NRA's stuff was made in China. Hello? Anyone in the NRA awake?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Chinese made stuff used to be the under $50 items.  Unfortunately now even the expensive items in the hundreds of dollars are made in China.

Boss Ross Perot was worried almost ten years ago that if NAFTA was implemented, there would be a big "sucking sound" of american jobs going to Mexico.  The part about the manufacturing jobs being lost was right, he just got the country wrong.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#26]
A little searching and I came up with [url]madeinusa.org[/url]. hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't buy stuff made in China because of their government.  Half the stuff made in China is made by prison labor.  Those prisoners are mostly political dissidents.  I wouldn't be too motivated to turn out quality stuff either if I was being forced to make it because of my political beliefs.  We have been letting the Chinese get away with way too much shit, starting with Klinton.  Unfortunately Bush isn't taking a very strong line with them either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't buy stuff made in China because of their government.  Half the stuff made in China is made by prison labor.  Those prisoners are mostly political dissidents.  I wouldn't be too motivated to turn out quality stuff either if I was being forced to make it because of my political beliefs.  We have been letting the Chinese get away with way too much shit, starting with Klinton.  Unfortunately Bush isn't taking a very strong line with them either.
View Quote

Prison labor is right.  One day I just know I'll find a note that reads, "Get Me The Hell Outta Here" under an AK topcover.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top