Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2001 7:33:49 PM EDT
Too personal? I don't know, but I need help.

My wife and I are going to be adopting a baby boy in January. The nursery is ready to go, outfits bought, car seat installed...

but my wife has left one thing completely (no pun intended) in my hands and refuses outright to have anything to do with the big decision.

Do we circumcise the little guy or not?

The thought sounds painful to me, and I've been to a bris(sp?) so I clearly remember the screams, but ours would be done in the hosp with anesthesia if I choose to do it.

I have some ideas about pros and cons but all keep them to myself.

Help, I just don't know what to do.

Sherm

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, they don't use anesthesia on circumcisions.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Sherm, congradulations!!

I'll pass on answering because your son will be able to find me in the future and I don't want to be responsible for whether or not he was circumsized.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Ummmm....there's a good reason why baby boys scream when they are circumcised. And it's the same reason you would cry out, too, if somebody put the equivalent of an X-Acto knife to your penis.

IT HURTS!!!! Why inflict pain on somebody that you would not want inflicted on yourself?

There is no valid medical reason to circumcise a person, at any age. Zip, nada, zilch, nichts. Only cultural and religious reasons- and I'm not going to touch the putative validity of those reasons with a barge pole.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
There was an entire thread dedicated to this topic not but a month ago.  Can anyone post a link?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say don't do it there is more nerve endings in the foreskin and any removal of nerve endings could limit the amount of sensation he will have once he is old enough to have sex.  I know it is a long time away but why do something to him now he will have to live with for ever.  I can see all the arguments from the past regarding to hygine but this is the 21st century and medicine is a lot more advanced than the 1950's.  I think it is an unnecessary procedure and when I have a son he won't be getting it done.  
john
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
We use Lidocaine 1% when we do them here.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
There's only one reason to do it. Women prefer a high and tight hair cut on the little solider. So to help your son's chances in the future get him cut now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a damn helmet on that soldier! Lose the sheath!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a little off topic. My sisters son was born with out eye lids. They used his foreskin to reconstruct his eye lids. It is amazing what modern medicine can do. He is almost completely normal. The only problem is he is a litte cock-eyed......I crack my self up
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]

would say don't do it there is more nerve endings in the foreskin and any removal of nerve endings could limit the amount of sensation he will have once he is old enough to have sex. I know it is a long time away but why do something to him now he will have to live with for ever. I can see all the arguments from the past regarding to hygine but this is the 21st century and medicine is a lot more advanced than the 1950's. I think it is an unnecessary procedure and when I have a son he won't be getting it done.
john
View Quote

While this may be true, I've never had any trouble with sensation.  If it is too sensitive he might have a problem with not lasting long enough.  You wouldn't want your sons' wife to be unhappy because he was a minute steak.  On a more serious note, not having the circumcision can potentially introduce more frequent bladder and/or other infections if not kept very clean.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
100% Un-Cut.

Leave the little rascal whole and teach him to wash his dick!

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My 2nd son was born yesterday today he was circumsized. We have it done for cleanliness purposes as I have family members who aren't and there can be infection problems etc. my sister is a nurse and I have 2 aunts also nurses infections in this area can be extremely problematic and you don't want the details though they are few and far between. It really comes down to your personal view. By the way our Dr gives meds to the boys on request and my son was sleeping within 3-5 minutes after.

Congratulations on your adoption let me know how it goes - this will be our last of our own, too hard on my wife twice! We are thinking that if we decide to have the little girl we also want to adopt but don't know alot about it YET.

Boomin
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Did 'ya hear the one about the Rabbi who collected all the foreskins he took performing bris?  He made them into "convertible wallets".  They normally fit into your back pocket, but if you rub them, they turn into briefcases!

I vote for circumcision.  My parents had me done and I suffered no noticeable ill effects.  I have had friends who have experienced infections.  (Anyone familiar with the term "smegma"? [puke])
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Smegma is the leading cause of Phimosis...

If you really want to know:

The Fate of the Foreskin---
[url]http://www.cirp.org/library/general/gairdner/[/url]

Is Circumsision really necessary?---
[url]http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/dewan/[/url]

By God, I've done MY duty today!

"Circumcision?"

"No, thanks; I just had a bar of soap!"  [shock]

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nip that tip!
View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Cut.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The painful part may have been true years ago but here's how they did my 5 yr old--they took a rubber ring,like the ring on the base of a condom,put it on his penis when he was born.It fit snug so it stopped the circulation to the foreskin.A week or so later,the ring and foreskin fall off.No pain whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The painful part may have been true years ago but here's how they did my 5 yr old--they took a rubber ring,like the ring on the base of a condom,put it on his penis when he was born.It fit snug so it stopped the circulation to the foreskin.A week or so later,the ring and foreskin fall off.No pain whatsoever.
View Quote

Now, that's what we'll do to bin Laden when we catch him...
Put the ring around his neck; circumcise his eyelids, and make him watch the videos of Sept. 11 until his head falls off.
A DICKHEAD IS A DICKHEAD.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]"Ctrl" + "X"[/b]
[b]"Ctrl" + "X"[/b]
[b]"Ctrl" + "X"[/b]
[b]"Ctrl" + "X"[/b]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to add the fact that the doc had to use the biggest ring he had.I was one proud daddy when he told me that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Milhouse
My sisters son was born with out eye lids. They used his foreskin to reconstruct his eye lids.  He is almost completely normal. The only problem is he is a litte cock-eyed......I crack my self up  

Dude, that is just wrong.

My advice.  Nip his bud
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I think sexual mutilation of male children is a pretty gross ritual still practiced in America. If your cool with this, just remember to have it done to your female children when they are born. Female circumcision is removing all the extra skin around the outside of the vagina, as the fold and flaps smell and are prone to infection if personal hygiene is sloppy. It is very popular in 3rd world countries.

/gross off
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would say don't do it there is more nerve endings in the foreskin and any removal of nerve endings could limit the amount of sensation he will have once he is old enough to have sex.
View Quote

Yes, but isn't that one of the reasons to have it done? To lessen the sensation so the boy won't blow his cap too fast when he is older? The women will thank him for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is a little off topic. My sisters son was born with out eye lids. They used his foreskin to reconstruct his eye lids. It is amazing what modern medicine can do. He is almost completely normal. The only problem is he is a litte cock-eyed......I crack my self up
View Quote

We shoot little peckers like you around here...[;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Geez Shooter, I thought it was a "feel good" story
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gives new meaning to "Eyes wide open."

Never mind, it was funny when I first thought of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Get clipped, fer sure! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#31]
yeah, I think we had this topic sometime ago...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74879[/url]

For the love of god dont hack-off his penis. [:D]  Chopped or not, it may not be that big of a deal(medically or hygenic)--but it is circumcision that's the extra procedure.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#32]
How about aesthetic reasons? You probably need to ask a girl, not just [u]any[/u] girl, of course, which she prefers and why.

Take a survey! I bet that 'cut' wins over 'uncut' by a very large margin!

But, as I say, you have to be very circumspect about just which girl you ask.

And that's my tip of the day.

Eric The('TheUnkindestCutOfAll')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Cut it only if yours is. Father like son!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If it is too sensitive he might have a problem with not lasting long enough.  You wouldn't want your sons' wife to be unhappy because he was a minute steak.  
View Quote

I hope my boy won't be a three pump chump.

I used to work in Brooklyn for NYC EMS and went to a call for a "16 year old in pain." Turns out the kid had been circumcised two days prior and was having problems with morning wood. At least that's what he said. I think it was just to get more pain meds because I can't imagine the mind overriding the pain just to pitch a tent because of the little testoserone surge we all get in the AM.

My wife shivers at the thought of foreskin(bad experience?[8)]Just kiddin honey!) which luckily for her, I lack. But once again, and what a rare thing it truly is, she's leaving it up to me. Actually I don't think thats ever happened before, and nor will it happen again.

I'm still confused.

Sherm

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I say don't cut.  I'm 16 and un-cut.  My foreskin will go to the bottom of the head and stay there so looks aren't even an issue.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Gee, thanks, CanadianGunNut, but, er, that's a little more information than I think we all need to know!

Eric The(AndHoldThePicsIfYouDon'tMind!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#39]
There's nothing like a shorn scrotum. It's really quite breath taking.

Love

Dr. Evil
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#40]
A Texan buys a round of drinks for all in the bar because, he announces, his wife has just produced a typical Texas baby boy weighing 25 pounds.

Congratulations showered him from all around, and many exclamations of "WOW"! were heard.

A woman faints due to sympathy pains.

Two weeks later, he returns to the bar.
The bartender says, "Say, you're the father of the typical Texas baby that weighed 25 pounds at birth. How much does he weigh now?"

The proud father answers, "Seventeen pounds."

The bartender is puzzled, and concerned. "What happened? He already weighed 25 pounds at birth."

The Texas father takes a slow swig from his long-neck Lone Star beer, wipes his lips on his shirt sleeve, leans into the bartender and proudly says, "Had him circumcised"
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#41]
"Foreskins? We don't need no stinkin foreskins...!"

A little FYI---Back in the late 1970's there was a barband in NorCal called "The Four Skins".
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Lots of good information from previous posters.  I would just like to add that sometimes medical conditions occur later in life that require circumcision.  My dad had to have a circumcision at 55 because of complications of Diabetes.  The hood contracted and wouldn't let batman back in his cave (ew....thats a nasty thought).  Anyway, I can assure you that your baby won't remember his circumcision nearly as much as my dad does.

Chicks dig purple helmets, not ant-eaters.  And lack of male sensitivity during sex is RARELY a problem.  Though millions of dollars are spent yearly on drugs, creams, pills, etc. to help men keep going for long enough to please their partner.

Please for the kids sake get him clipped.

When he's 16-17 years old and about to lay down his first sexual partner, wouldn't a purple helmet be more female friendly?

Just my .0000002 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top