Author
Posted: 1/20/2009 5:36:09 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 5:36:38 PM by Nutro]
And no I am not leaving the US to live there. Their gun laws suck.

I've always wanted to visit and after recently discovering that my ancestry is from Londonderry, Northern Ireland, I really want to visit.

I've known that my ancestry is from Ireland and Scotland but never knew exactly where. I'm still working on the Scotland part.

A woman's propensity to cheat is directly proportional to her options.
RedSS454
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 5:41:40 PM
Never been there, but from what I hear, they have lots of little men running around in green tights, carrying pots of Gold. If you catch them, you can have their lucky charms.
Dtrain323i
Rowsdower....Zap Rowsdower
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 5:42:56 PM
Go to Dublin, Waterford, and the Cliffs of Moher.

College St. in Dublin is amusing to say the least.
why yes......I do have sex in the champagne room

I just fucked my fleshlight, so I am feeling relived at least.- Argetni 11/15/08
ccfps
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:02:10 PM
I've been to Londonderry 5 times in the past 10 years. Very cool town. There are a lot of things to do in the city, and some great attractions just a short drive away. The Tower Hotel is really nice and central to downtown. I've also been to Dublin, Belfast, Shannon, Donegal. Well worth the trip to at least see it once. The people are great too.

ccfps
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:13:48 PM
Well instead of asking all these Americans, you could ask all the actual born there / lived there Paddies in the UK hometown forum.
I've got a shoe and I'm not afraid to use it!

This place is like a right wing edition of Islamic Rage Boy these days…
Greenfeet
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:14:00 PM
I've heard that in Dublin city limits you're never more than 90 ft from a pub.

jarlragnar
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:16:58 PM
I hear that beers are eight dollars in Dublin
1catquak
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:21:01 PM
Tag for pics of red head green eyed Irish girls.
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:23:07 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 6:28:25 PM by vito113]
Originally Posted By 1catquak:
Tag for pics of red head green eyed Irish girls.

It'll be a long wait, no one I know in Ireland has red hair and green eyes… blonde to brown and blue or brown eyes are nearly all of the population.

BayEagle
ó Dhia gach aon cabhair
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:26:00 PM
Originally Posted By Nutro:

I've always wanted to visit and after recently discovering that my ancestry is from Londonderry, Northern Ireland, I really want to visit.

I've known that my ancestry is from Ireland and Scotland but never knew exactly where. I'm still working on the Scotland part.

fixt

(I've got family from Derry as well)
"Al-taqiyya" means that no non-Muslim can believe anything told to them by any Muslim. For that Muslim to lie to you counts as a 'good work' to gain salvation.

Originally Posted By Subnet:
At this point, I'd take one from StonerStudent
Nutro
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:33:26 PM
Originally Posted By vito113:
Well instead of asking all these Americans, you could ask all the actual born there / lived there Paddies in the UK hometown forum.

I honestly didn't know there was one
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:34:12 PM

I honestly didn't know there was one

You'll find us all in here…

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=5

VACaver
LaRue Lucky Bastard 2
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:40:07 PM
I've never been either...but that's about to change! The wife bought tickets for us to go in May for a week!

Flying into Dublin, Spending the night, then driving around for the next five days seeing the sights...should be fun!
If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.
- Mark Twain

DOW
Reducing my carbon footprint. Or not.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:41:43 PM
My wife is visiting her family in Limavady, Derry Londonderry Stroke City right now, her and my daughter got there this morning.

Great place to visit, but I would not live there. Too friggin' cloudy, almost every single friggin' day. Not to mention the politics...
"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the AMERICAN MARINES."
-Captured North Korean Major

"Never get out of the boat."
- Chef
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:41:56 PM
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I've never been either...but that's about to change! The wife bought tickets for us to go in May for a week!

Flying into Dublin, Spending the night, then driving around for the next five days seeing the sights...should be fun!

Stay off the roads after 10pm, they are rather 'exciting' with drunk/stoned drivers… Driving standards in Ireland are shockingly bad, high accident rates.

VACaver
LaRue Lucky Bastard 2
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:44:38 PM

Stay off the roads after 10pm, they are rather 'exciting' with drunk/stoned drivers… Driving standards in Ireland are shockingly bad, high accident rates.

Thanks for the advice...I doubt if I'll be in any condition to drive by that time of night

If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.
- Mark Twain

DOW
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:45:56 PM

You ain't kidding Andy, every time I'm over there they're always going on about somebody killed on the roads on the radio...

- Chef
dolanp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:48:23 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 6:48:49 PM by dolanp]

Yes, even in the daytime it's scary. If you ever rent (aka 'hire') a car in Ireland, it is worth the peace of mind to buy the extra insurance. Those credit card deals where you are automatically insured if you book with their card specifically exclude the Republic of Ireland usually.
glockfan45
Classy Mutha Fucka!
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:48:53 PM
Originally Posted By DOW:

You ain't kidding Andy, every time I'm over there they're always going on about somebody killed on the roads on the radio...

Its because they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Scotch/Irish here. Never been there but plan to change that one day.
"Oh I've got a brand new shiny helmet and a pair of kinky boots
I've got a lovely new flak jacket and a lovely khaki suit
And when we go on night patrol we hold each others hands
We are the British army and we're here to take your land"
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:50:48 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 6:57:39 PM by vito113]

Last time I was over there were three fatal crashes in the local area in two weeks, 12 dead, 7 in one car!

Dtrain323i
Rowsdower....Zap Rowsdower
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:51:10 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 6:56:58 PM by Dtrain323i]
They had a rather graphic anti-drunk driving PSA a while back. It involved a car cartwheeling through a stone fence and hitting a small child.

ETA: This is the one
why yes......I do have sex in the champagne room

I just fucked my fleshlight, so I am feeling relived at least.- Argetni 11/15/08
Jarhead_22
Potential Criminal
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 7:09:20 PM
I went over in 1989 (ancient history, I know) for three weeks with a group of fellow Hibernian-Americans I knew from college and we had a great time.

We flew into Shannon and took a train to Tipperary, a little town called Killenaule where a friend of ours had moved after high school. We spent a week there and were apparently of big local interest. My buddy's girlfriend went into a store to buy cough drops and two days later a lady none of us had ever met asked her out of the blue if she was feeling better. We spent every night in our friend's pub, drinking, telling stories and singing, and everyday getting out and seeing the sights or just walking through the local countrysides where there are lots of horse farms/ranches. We took a day trip to The Rock of Cashel (Carraig Padraig) which was just amazing. The US is such a young country that something 100 years old is fenced off and made much of, but over there it's not even considered any kind of historical at all until it's at least 800 years old or so.

After Tipperary, we went to Dublin, Belfast, Galway and Headford. Dublin was a blast, and we saw Bono from U2 outside Windmill Lane Studios. Belfast was fun, and was a bit of a culture shock after spending time with my friends in the Republic. No Harp on tap, just Bass. Galway is just beautiful. Everywhere we went people were great to us, we ate well and really enjoyed ourselves. Just outside of Headford is the tomb of the Lynch family, one of the original 14 tribes of Galway. The tomb is at the site of a destroyed abbey that Cromwell's merry band wrecked and then murdered the monks. We were told that bones from the monks are still found out in the fields around the place from time to time, a shoulder blade here or a femur there.

Ireland is beautiful and the people are great. I would go for sure if you're able.
I order the club sandwich all the time and I'm not even a member. I don't know how I get away with it.
Nutro
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 7:14:09 PM
I have a possibly dumb question.

Many years ago I asked about visiting Ireland on another forum and was told to stay away from Northern Ireland. Is there any truth to that?
DOW
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 7:17:57 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 7:20:16 PM by DOW]

Many years ago I asked about visiting Ireland on another forum and was told to stay away from Northern Ireland. Is there any truth to that?

The troubles are a done deal for the most part, it's completely safe. Go and enjoy.

ETA

See my post above about my wife and 4 y/o daughter arriving in Northern Ireland (Derry is up north) today - If I weren't certain they would be totally safe they wouldn't have gone, at least not without me.

- Chef
Jarhead_22
Potential Criminal
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 7:19:35 PM

I went to Belfast, but didn't go to the really hard sectarian neighborhoods. That was then, and things are supposed to be a lot better now.

I'd still stay away from Falls Road and the Shankill, though.
I order the club sandwich all the time and I'm not even a member. I don't know how I get away with it.
xdalfalkif
First in Line for D.C. v. Heller
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:10:35 PM
I've been to Dublin and Kilkenny. Dublin is an international city, lots of tourists and foreigners trying to make money, but it is still "Irish". Beers cost about seven bucks for a twenty ounce pint. Everyone drinks Guinness or Budweiser (go figure, but it is brewed there).

Kilkenny was a different feel, fewer foreigners, more Irish.

Check out Glendalough if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendalough
Thanks ragedracer1977, ZedsDeadBaby, and Izzman.
buckmaw
Master Scrounger
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:12:47 PM
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Bill247
Sport Drinker©
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:18:07 PM
Originally Posted By glockfan45:

Its because they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Scotch/Irish here. Never been there but plan to change that one day.

Scotch is a drink.
Thank god for evolution...
JakeThePimp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:25:09 PM
In Ireland this is a two way street, I kid you not.

In Northern Ireland check out the Giants Causeway.

-JTP

pato
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:32:16 PM
It's green in Ireland. Very green.

My mother was born and raised in County Kilkenny and my father lived in Cork for a while after he retired from the military.

The Irish are a funny lot. They cry when they drink and they laugh when they fight.

pato
"En la vida se presentan dos o tres ocasiones para ser heroe, pero casi todos los dias se presentan la ocasion para no ser cobarde"
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:39:09 PM
Originally Posted By xdalfalkif:
I've been to Dublin and Kilkenny. Dublin is an international city, lots of tourists and foreigners trying to make money, but it is still "Irish". Beers cost about seven bucks for a twenty ounce pint. Everyone drinks Guinness or Budweiser (go figure, but it is brewed there).

Kilkenny was a different feel, fewer foreigners, more Irish.

Check out Glendalough if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendalough
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Glendalough4259.JPG/800px-Glendalough4259.JPG

Born in Dublin, grew up in Kilkenny and have family around Glendaloughy!

bad_frank
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:40:09 PM
Tiocfaidh ár lá
vito113
...meh !
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:41:35 PM
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

I went to Belfast, but didn't go to the really hard sectarian neighborhoods. That was then, and things are supposed to be a lot better now.

I'd still stay away from Falls Road and the Shankill, though.

Northern Ireland is easy…

If you're Catholic, stay out of the areas with red, white and blue painted kerbs…

If you're Protestant, stay out of the areas with green, white and orange painted kerbs…

Easy!

GunLvrPHD
Lee Marvin's Evil Twin
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 11:47:13 PM
Last time I was in Ireland (in the mid-80s) the Irish pound cost less than $1, and a pint of beer cost around 1 pound.
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
raven
Bitter Clinger
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2009 11:54:26 PM

Sounds like you're Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots. Those people were offered land in northern Ireland (Ulster) to help the English occupy the land and hold off the Catholic Irish. The arrangement sucked so many Ulster Scots left for America for the wilderness areas, namely central PA, WV, the mountain backwoods of VA, NC, KY and TN.
'Apostates are like the AROCKs of the Islamic world.'
-Merrell
Cognomen
Softly Softly Catchee Monkey
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:13:52 AM
Originally Posted By raven:

Sounds like you're Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots. Those people were offered land in northern Ireland (Ulster) to help the English occupy the land and hold off the Catholic Irish. The arrangement sucked so many Ulster Scots left for America for the wilderness areas, namely central PA, WV, the mountain backwoods of VA, NC, KY and TN.
Yep. For a variety of reasons, the Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots) in America have typically forgotten or mistaken their actual ancestry.

morningwood1429
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:17:16 AM
just went there in june and yes it was expensive as hell for drinks but the guinness there tasted like it had just fell from heaven into your pint glass.. (the guinness brewery brews 3 million pints a day, 1 million of those are consumed in ireland)

i would recommend spending most of your time in dublin. we spent two weeks driving around the country and it gets tiring after a few days
Bob243
Meen and Disagreeable
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:20:47 AM
Originally Posted By Cognomen:
Originally Posted By raven:

Yep. For a variety of reasons, the Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots) in America have typically forgotten or mistaken their actual ancestry.

And yes, I am having a hell of a time trying to trace back