Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 11:59:19 AM EDT
I saw a basic 3 band EQ at Radio Shack with 2 plugs.  one for mini stereo plug in and the other for out.  This seems ideal for my portable mp3/cd player and Koss KTX Pro headphones.  However, is a 3 band eq enough to tailor the sound to my needs?  I don't want a big full size eq just something to allow me to tweak the sound better than a simple bass boost switch.  Also could this be used between my dvd player and mini system since I have two dual RCA to mini stereo plug converters?
Thanks for any help,
Justin Ward
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry to BTT.  But this is pretty important.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Radio shack usually has a pretty good return policy.  Why don't you just try the stuff out and return it if it doesn't suit your needs.  Just keep the packaging and reciept.  Or better yet, take your gear to Radio Shack and try the stuff out there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it will work between your MP3 player and headphones because that is a high level signal (speaker level), whereas the EQ is likely designed for low level (pre-amp) signals. Should work fine for the DVD though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
the box said ideal for mp3 players or laptops.  Also the plug were mini stereo plugs which makes me think it was meant for headphones.  It also had a volume control.

One question i have is that if i put it between the dvd player and the mini system and crank the bass wouldn't this put the sound level above pre-amp levels?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Laughing out Loud.

When you said "equalizer," I thought you meant a lead pipe, or a sap!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the box said ideal for mp3 players or laptops.  Also the plug were mini stereo plugs which makes me think it was meant for headphones.  It also had a volume control.

One question i have is that if i put it between the dvd player and the mini system and crank the bass wouldn't this put the sound level above pre-amp levels?  
View Quote

That may be the case. It sounds like it's designed to operate at speaker level. That makes it questionable for the DVD application.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for answering guys.  I think I'll just buy it and if not I know their return policy is pretty easy.  On that subject one of my friends has returned his Panasonic headphones 5 times.  The last time it was because he caught the cord on the corner of a door and it ripped it in two, the store clerk wrote the the problem down as "no sound" on the return paper!
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, without equipment to analyze the sound, most folks just 'F up their system with equalizers.  They crank up the bass and crank the treble, usually dumping the midrange.  Why?  

I wouldn't get one at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
most decent portable cd players now come with both a headset jack and a line out jack. If yours has the line out jack then it will work fine. If that EQ has LINE IN RCA jacks your good to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top