Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I've been keeping score with the people I debate with.  The tally so far is:

Ericthehun: 1
RikWriter:  1
Me:         0

And those are like two opposites of the pole.  I like to debate.  It gives me something to do and helps to bring about understanding.  In fact, Eric The Hun brings up GREAT points with everyone of his debates he has done with me.  

Keep the debates going, it just helps us all to keep sharp and ever vigilante.

[):)]
NSF  
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gee....that's a toughie.  We should all ask ourselves, "What Would Jesus Do?"
View Quote

Well, He'd make a whip out of cords, and drive the heathens out of the temple.

-- John 2: 13-17

You don't REALLY want me to WWJD, do you??? [}:D]

Sorry, I couldn;t resist.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You don't REALLY want me to WWJD, do you??? [}:D]

View Quote

Well, I'd like to see you TRY... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
..... The Hun brings up GREAT points ....
NSF  
View Quote

Be vewy, vewy careful of "Huns" bearing great "POINTS."
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
here's what i don't understand about these religious discussions (keeping in mind that i pretty much regularly read darn near every one, for both the educational and entertainment value).  and i shouldn't have to say this, but these things aren't said with one particular person in mind.  it's just a trend of stuff that i've noticed that seems to run through threads of this type.  so please don't feel like i'm pointing fingers, cuz i'm not.

1.) why non-believers feel that it's being shoved down their throat when a believer is explaining their faith to them.  the irony being that non-believers' attempts to show the believers how wrong they are is often more pushy and beligerent than the posts from the believers on why they believe they are right.  especially when the non-believers have to resort to personal attacks to do so.  (see #4 below)

2.) why there is continually a cry to shut up the believers when more often than not, it's the non-believers who bring up the topic in the first place.

3.)  why believers (particlarly Christians) feel the need to pad their argument or justify their argument with the anti-evolution bent.

4.) why non-believers think that faith in a supreme being is indicative of inferior personal character (or weak-mindedness).
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
3.)  why believers (particlarly Christians) feel the need to pad their argument or justify their argument with the anti-evolution bent.

View Quote

Well, that there is an easy one.

If you beleive what God said, you cannot possibly beleive in evolution without making god a liar.

In fact, evolution is an attack on the person and work of Jesus Christ.

If you like, I'll provide you the verses, but ONLY via your e-mailed request to me, and then I will e-mail them back.

Other than that, GREAT post.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
..... since there are so many juvenile-minded people.....  
View Quote

Look ARLady (Note the cap in Lady) I have no idea how you could possibly leap to the conclusion that "many are juvenile-minded."

A quick look at two of the primary combatants should assuage your fears:

garandman and Velveeta - A man carrying an old but reliable weapon verbally dueling with a person posing as fake/proceesed cheese.

How could this be "juvenile?"
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Would Jesus assemble a post ban whip or would he track down some stripped pre-ban cords so he could have all of the evil features on his whip?

Would the cords be 16" for light weight and faster handling or 20" for greater lethality at long range?

And would Jesus opt for the range and power of 0.308" knots or would he tie 0.223" knots so he could carry more?  

[:K]

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
here's what i don't understand about these religious discussions

... snippage...

View Quote

Well, mostly because it's just fun, after all!  

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#10]

And would Jesus opt for the range and power of 0.308" knots or would he tie 0.223" knots so he could carry more?  
[:K]
[/quote]
With the research and experience available at that time regarding "Whip" developement it is obvious to me that Jesus would have chosen the lighter but still highly effective .223 knot.
With the increased wrist velocity his small-knot-high-velocity (SKHV) whip would have been lethal.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you beleive what God said, you cannot possibly beleive in evolution without making god a liar.

View Quote

Wrong of course...as usual.  You can very easily believe that the Bible was speaking allegorically in Genesis and still accept the reality that life evolved.  It's simply that YOU REFUSE to do so, not that it is impossible or in error to do so.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wrong of course...as usual.  You can very easily believe that the Bible was speaking allegorically in Genesis and still accept the reality that life evolved.  It's simply that YOU REFUSE to do so, not that it is impossible or in error to do so.
View Quote

Rik -

If you only knew what in the world you were talking about, you might actually be dangerous.

I'm NOT talking about the Genesis verses, or even teh Creation account. In fact, I'm not even talking about the Old Testament, which if you had READ my post without immediately KNEE JERKING when you saw my login name, you would know that.

On another note -

You seem unusually irritable for the last 2-3 months. Is everything OK???

It used to be, I could count on you for good debate. Lately, about the ONLY thing you have to offer is comments like "Wrong of course...as usual"

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is everything OK???
View Quote

This is my absolute last, no more, post (probably) on this subject.
However (garandman) your concern for the 'RikWriter" has touched me.

As a non-member of the medical community I have often seen symptoms similar to those displayed the 'Rik.'
Each and every time the cause turned out to be "eating too much Velveeta."
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Rik -

If you only knew what in the world you were talking about, you might actually be dangerous.
View Quote

Coming from someone who once said on an open forum that every single dinosaur skeleton was in actuality a beached whale killed by Noah's Flood, that is a laughable sentiment.

I'm NOT talking about the Genesis verses, or even teh Creation account. In fact, I'm not even talking about the Old Testament, which if you had READ my post without immediately KNEE JERKING when you saw my login name, you would know that.
View Quote

It doesn't matter what you are talking about NOW...we've been down this road before, I know your arguments better than you do.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
..... since there are so many juvenile-minded people.....  
View Quote

Look ARLady (Note the cap in Lady) I have no idea how you could possibly leap to the conclusion that "many are juvenile-minded."

A quick look at two of the primary combatants should assuage your fears:

garandman and Velveeta - A man carrying an old but reliable weapon verbally dueling with a person posing as fake/proceesed cheese.

How could this be "juvenile?"
[smoke]
View Quote

i forgot my smiley face.  what i was trying to convey, and which i've failed at so miserable, was that so many people take so many things so personally, even when what's being said doesn't even apply to them.  i guess i was saying take a moment and reflect on what's being said before jumping to the conclusion that someone is attacking you.  i'll think i'll go back and edit that, since it does come across a bit harshly.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you like, I'll provide you the verses, but ONLY via your e-mailed request to me, and then I will e-mail them back.

Other than that, GREAT post.
View Quote

right.  i understand that a literal interpretation of the words of the Bible seem to completely contradict what the theory of evolution says.  i understand why many believers of the Christian faith don't believe in evolution.  (well, no, i don't.  but i know the reasons they give for not believing [:)].)

that wasn't what i was trying to ask.  but on re-reaing the question, i can see where the misunderstanding would arise.  i didn't mean to ask why you don't believe in evolution/etc.  what i wanted to ask was why "i didn't evolve from pond scum" always seems to pop up in the debates, even when the origin of life/chaning of species questions has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the debate at hand.  (like we saw in this thread!  [:D])

garandman, would you consider this my emailed request for those verses you offered?  i seem to be having some technical difficulties with the email/default thing with my computer.  but i am interested in reading them, gadget problems notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I propose a religion flame war board.  Garandman and Rikwriter can be moderators and take turns locking each others threads.  Once nothing is accomplished, I declare each side at fault, and Me the the victor, by default.  

Then you will crown me, name me king, and sing lullabies in B Minor to make me fall asleep.  During each meal you will address me as "Jojo the Justice Man Much Eats Better than Maggots"  but while I bathe you must address me as "Jojo the Justice Man Much Smells Better than Maggots"  And so on for all my activities, including my weekly lessons in gyenecology.

Failure to follow these simple rules the first time will only get you castarated.  Second offense is punishable by a night in a Maximum security prison dressed as Penelope Cruz.  Third offense means you have to bathe me with your tongue, (females only, and if you ask nicely, I'll let you do this on your first offense)  And finally fourth offense shall officially end your existence on my Fantasy Island.

NSF  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Coming from someone who once said on an open forum that every single dinosaur skeleton was in actuality a beached whale killed by Noah's Flood, that is a laughable sentiment.
View Quote

Gee, you misqoiuted me. What a shocker.  [rolleyes]

No, I said that given all teh whales that would have died in a Noahic Flood, it is QUITE possible many of their bones would be mistaken today for dinosaur bones. It would be stupid for me to make an absolute statement that "every single blah blah blah..."
But then that was your point wasn't it - to try to make me look stupid. Unfortunately, you had to misquote me to do it.

It doesn't matter what you are talking about NOW...we've been down this road before, I know your arguments better than you do.
View Quote

Gee, given we have NEVER discussed these New Testamant verses in this forum EVER, I wonder how that could be.

Oh wait - I know. You are God. You know my thoughts via the internet, tho I've never typed them here.

Either that, or you are the most arrogant person I've ever "known."

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#19]
ARLady -

I emailed you.

If you don't get that email, I'm not sure how I can email you the verses and the study I'm talking about.

Keep me posted...

Peace,

garandman
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#20]
[size=6]...zzz... [/size=6] [|)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gee, given we have NEVER discussed these New Testamant verses in this forum EVER, I wonder how that could be.
View Quote

You didn't quote any NT verses.  Give me a reference and we can discuss it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You didn't quote any NT verses.  Give me a reference and we can discuss it.
View Quote

I'm doing an extensive study on it right now, and will include you on my distribution list.

It may take a week or so.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Armaliter...God is not for people...youve got that backwards..people were created for His pleasure...His purpose...its His love...His generosity ..His salvation we all as sinfull creatures must have...which is why he sent His Son in the person of Jesus Christ...to save us from eternal death..and bring us into eternal life with Him...Christ commanded all His disciples ..to go unto every nation and witness to the truth..that He was crucified dead...and was reborn of the dead..a substitute for us..having died in our place having taking our punishment..If we be but willing to confess our sins and ask Him to forgive us and save us from our righteous deserved punishment...It is every Christians duty to wittness to those who have not heard or do not believe..it is an invitation not forced at gunpoint or kamakazi attack...in a free society..one whose right to free speech is established not by paper but blood...of every veteran here and those gone on to their rewards..To debate the issue though it may vex you...is good...if one person is awakend by the Holy Spirit to salvation in Christ through debate or discussion..then let the others be vexed as they have no problem trying to shove their various opinions and predilictions as they whine "down everybody elses throat"...I have earned the right..to speak my mind..whether any one agrees or not matters little...The name of Christ causes many of the wolves to howl..
but it also draws those that are His ...to Him
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#24]
NO
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By garandman

you are the most arrogant person I've ever "known."
View Quote

(While waiting for the "big" post to be returned..)
garandman is speaking of Velveeta, E.T. Hun, RikWriter and many others - I'm sure !
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By garandman

you are the most arrogant person I've ever "known."
View Quote

(While waiting for the "big" post to be returned..)
garandman is speaking of Velveeta, E.T. Hun, RikWriter and many others - I'm sure !
View Quote

What happened to that thread?

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Velveeta,
Although my inquiry continues, I'm being met by a wall-of-silence when it comes to the location of that thread.

I do have my suspicions but no 'hard' evidence as yet.
The perp may be a guy carrying and old but reliable rifle.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I think so as well.  I think the boy finally figured out he was outclassed.  
If you are gonna’ call people stupid be prepared to back it up. I noticed that
Mr. R[rolleyes]lleye’s has not posted much today either.

Thanks 5subslr5,

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
If you don't like the topic, don't go into it. Its like the TV, if you don't like a programme, go to another Channel.

I don't know what the fuss is all about.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe it imploded, like a black hole, where no light or matter within the event horizon can escape.

Or, alternatively, perhaps god struck it down- smote it, as it were, sending it down to burn in hell for eternity.

Any other ideas?

[:P]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe it imploded, like a black hole, where no light or matter within the event horizon can escape.
[:P]
View Quote

Although I suspect a more terestrial explanation I had truly not considered this possibility.[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you think that Wal-mart is doing inventory for the next few weeks and had to call our favorite Wal-mart greeter in to smile emptily at customers as they enter the store to free-up employees who can count higher than “this many fingers”?

Maybe our greeter wants to come back in a few weeks with a clean slate?

I guess we shall see!

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Post from 1feral1 -
If you don't like the topic, don't go into it. Its like the TV, if you don't like a programme, go to another Channel.

I don't know what the fuss is all about.
View Quote

Now that's some good common sense from Our Man Down Under!

BTW, you Aussies don't mind having Australia referred to as the 'Land Down Under' do you?

I've seen the 'Australian View of the World' maps at the 'Outback Steak Houses' here in the US, I'm sure you've seen 'em too, the ones with South at the top of the map?

Eric The(Australiophile)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know if the Aussies mind having their land referred to as "Down Under" but since the 19th of December, I will always refer to New Zealand as "Middle Earth." [;)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#35]
[;)]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top