Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 9:48:34 PM EDT
ok, I have three Zippo-style lighters. Two are actual Zippos, the third is a Winston one.

On my silver zippo and my Winston one, the lighter wheel thing seemed to be "stuck" in place, so the wheel could not move, and would no longer spark.

So, I took them apart to check things out. I also took my third zippo apart to see if I could find any differences.

Apon unscrewing the little screw in the bottom of the lighters, and pulling the spring out, there is a little cylender type peice of metal that fell out of my new one. Both of the ones that were "broken" did not have this. So I took it from my new one, and stuck it into my other "broken" zippo. It then sparked and lit, etc. Same with the Winston one.

It appears (my hypothesis) that with the metal to metal grinding to make the spark, the metal itself actually grinds down into nothing. Hence the spring-to-wheel contact, preventing the wheel from turning.

Anybody know where I can get a few of those small peices of metal that go infront of the spring? Does it have to be a certain type of metal?

Thanks,

ComputerGuy
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You talking about the "flint"?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You need FLINTS!!!

Those springs with the metal on the end are just there to push the flint to the wheel. The metal part is so that when you run out of flint the wheel doesn't eat the spring.

Go to the drug store and pick up a pack of flints. Usually in packs of 6 - 12 flints. They are small. Ronson are red and in a plastic holder.

After that you need lighter fluid. Don't forget to get some. Oh, be carefull not to overfill your lighter. Sucks to have fluid eat into your leg. Quite painful actually.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you should get a "Colibri" with electric piezo ignition.  No "flints" needed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That is the most detailed explination of a Zippo flint I have ever seen in my entire life.......
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is the most detailed explination of a Zippo flint I have ever seen in my entire life.......
View Quote

Well for once, I know what the hell I am talking about. I just want to show off [;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL...

Anyway, I found out that the Zippo flints last longer than the cheap stuff you find at walgreens or liquor stores. The zippo ones are gold colored. the cheap stuff are red or charcoal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
For a while i thought computerguy was kidding w/ his reverse engineering post... [:D]

Anyway, I like Zippo flint better than Ronson (the red ones) or other brands too.  Zippo seems to give off more "spark" and it does seems to last longer.  I haven't smoked for a while, but I still like to light my zippo for amusement...

addendum:  you can put spare flints in the space between the pad and the cottonswabs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For a while i thought computerguy was kidding w/ his reverse engineering post... [:D]

Anyway, I like Zippo flint better than Ronson (the red ones) or other brands too.  Zippo seems to give off more "spark" and it does seems to last longer.  I haven't smoked for a while, but I still like to light my zippo for amusement...
View Quote

I light mine for amusement ALL the time!! heh heh..

OK, this is what gets me.. I have ALWAYS thought the "flint" was the peice of wires and string(lack of better word) that the flame sticks(lack of better word again) to when the lighter is lit.

Now what is that called????
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, you need a new flint.

OT:I read in American Survival that the Zippo lighters are real reliable when wet.  The article recommends a Zippo with spare flints and ligher fluid as part of an emergency kit.  They also recommend using a disposable lighter as a backup.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

OK, this is what gets me.. I have ALWAYS thought the "flint" was the peice of wires and string(lack of better word) that the flame sticks(lack of better word again) to when the lighter is lit.

View Quote

That is a "wick".
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

That is a "wick".
View Quote

Ohhhh yeah!!!!!! Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Please tell me you don't own a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, no kidding.  Sounds like you've used the zippo to light up the old bong one too many times.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey ComputerGuy, you weren't ever a boy scout were you?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Zippo is the only way to fly! So what if you have to put fluid in them and change the flint once in a while.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Plus, there's all the tricks you can do- but do watch that over-fill thing... those burns hurt a bit!

I gave up smoking years ago, but still miss that damn Zippo at times!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Software nerd.

Gearheads rule.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I gave up smoking years ago, but still miss that damn Zippo at times!
View Quote

Ditto this, but I kept my Zippo, cold mornings are when I miss smoking the most!!!  [smoke]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey ComputerGuy, you weren't ever a boy scout were you?
View Quote

Yea, I was a boy scout for like 3 years.

We never did anything outdoors. The most we ever did was spend a night in some empty room at the zoo. The floor in that room had ants and straw all over it. I quit the boy scouts after that.

Not one thing about firearms, knifes, etc. It pretty much sucked.

Yes I do own a few firearms!! No, I'm not so ignorant about them!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ok, I have three Zippo-style lighters. Two are actual Zippos, the third is a Winston one.

On my silver zippo and my Winston one, the lighter wheel thing seemed to be "stuck" in place, so the wheel could not move, and would no longer spark.

So, I took them apart to check things out. I also took my third zippo apart to see if I could find any differences.

Apon unscrewing the little screw in the bottom of the lighters, and pulling the spring out, there is a little cylender type peice of metal that fell out of my new one. Both of the ones that were "broken" did not have this. So I took it from my new one, and stuck it into my other "broken" zippo. It then sparked and lit, etc. Same with the Winston one.

It appears (my hypothesis) that with the metal to metal grinding to make the spark, the metal itself actually grinds down into nothing. Hence the spring-to-wheel contact, preventing the wheel from turning.

Anybody know where I can get a few of those small peices of metal that go infront of the spring? Does it have to be a certain type of metal?

Thanks,

ComputerGuy
View Quote

Is this real?  [:\]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#22]
OT: The American WWII Sherman tanks were nicknamed Zippos by the Germans for a very valid reason.  They light up everytime you hit them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey, i Just wanted to let you know that Guzzler is right...... Hey great my post count is now up to more than 1 a month average..... (im a lurker ! LOL)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
From Warlord

"OT: The American WWII Sherman tanks were nicknamed Zippos by the Germans for a very valid reason. They light up everytime you hit them."

I thought the Sherman tanks were nicknamed "Ronsons" rather than "Zippos".  Same idea behind the nick though.  I've always heard 'Zippo' as slang for a flamethrower....which, even further OT Return To Castle Wolfenstein has an excellent one....but they did screw up by having a 10 shot Mauser 98.  

Back on topic:  Where can you find replacement wicks for lighters?  I have an old 1920-30's lighter that needs a new wick.  It's shaped kinda like a Tylenol capsule, all brass, the top part pulls completely off, & no wind screen-just the wick out in the open.  According to a few collectors books I've thumbed thru it's worth $100+ in good condition & I'd like to keep it functioning (can't stand useless "wallhangers")
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Remember,
[center]The longer the wick,[/center]
[center]The larger the [red]flame[/red]![/center]
[}:D]

Alex
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty good one! You were just kidding right? The Zippo also need fuel along with those sparky thingys. I fill mine up till it flows over and carry it in my jocky shorts so it just kinda rides on top of my pecker. Looks kinda cool too. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea, I was serious.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Although they are called "flints" they are actually pyrite.  To make this thread gun related, Zippos ( I have 3) ignite on the same basic principle as a wheel lock, not a flintlock.  Beware of storing cheap off-brand "flints" beneath the felt pad inside the lighter.  Unlike good flints, they'll disintegrate from soaking in the lighter fluid.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Beware of storing cheap off-brand "flints" beneath the felt pad inside the lighter.  Unlike good flints, they'll disintegrate from soaking in the lighter fluid.
View Quote

You beat me to it, 13.  I thought I was the only one who researched this extensively.....

[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top