Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2001 5:09:39 PM EDT
Check the lead story at [url]www.pressdemocrat.com[/url].
I heard that it crashed a short time ago south of here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry. it's fixed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, strange stuff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Broke loose from its mooring?  Was this thing a seaplane or something?

I'd hate to have to explain this to the insurance company, "Yeah, ummm.... I was working on it.... and.... ummmm.... it just kind of..... flew off....."
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Pilotless airplane missing
aloft over Sonoma County

The Sonoma County Sheriff's Department reports that it has still not located a pilotless plane that took off this afternoon.
According to the Sheriff's Department, the owner of the light aircraft was working on it at about 4:30 p.m. when it broke loose from its mooring. The plane then took off from the small farm airstrip in the Two Rock area in southwest Sonoma County.
The current location of the airplane, an Aeronca Champion two-seat, high-wing plane, is unknown the Sheriff's Department said, but it was possibly spotted heading northeast toward Sonoma Mountain.
View Quote

[i]Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha![/i]
Being from Mendocino County myself, I can just picture the plane flying over the countryside...
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Were there any Middle Eastern looking men loitering around the airfield when this happened?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The more I look at that, the more it looks like a Piper Cub.  Is the Champion a Cub knockoff?

Not that any of you no-flying f--ks will know.[;D][;)]
View Quote

O.K. wiseguy, this flying f--k will answer your question!

The Champ does have something in common with the Cub, they are both airplanes, and they have a similar performance envelope. The Champ is even more of a "rudder" aircraft than the Cub though.

The Champ was introduced about 9 years after the J-3, it was designed to compete directly with the Cub, so the Cub's "shortcomings" were addressed in the Champ. The solo pilot sits in the front of the Champ, and higher, so visibility for the pilot is much better. The cockpit layout of the Champ is much better than the Cub, the engine controls can be reached from either seat. The Cub's split door was replaced on the Champ by a hinged car-type door to eliminate drafty cockpits.

All in all, the Aeronca Champ is a more refined aircraft, but that is what you'd expect from a design that was created almost a decade after the Cub. I like them both.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Another thing, the moron that hand-propped that airplane on full throttle without it being chocked and tied down is lucky he didn't lose more than his plane!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It stands to reason he propped it from the back, but has anything said exactly how he managed to pull such a boneheaded stunt?
View Quote

In the latest blurb in my local paper the pilot claims the plane was tied down when he propped it backwards (from the front) to clear the flooded engine, but the restraints failed.

This phenomenon isn't unknown among Champ pilots, apparently. It seems without a pilot on board these planes will get off the ground on their own if they manage to get up to flying speed without running into anything! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard a mention of it on the radio today and it seems this happened in Ohio in 97 also.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally posted by 700PSS
...This phenomenon isn't unknown among Champ pilots, apparently. It seems without a pilot on board these planes will get off the ground on their own if they manage to get up to flying speed without running into anything! [:D]
View Quote

A very stable platform I should guess.  I never got to fly anything except a V-22 simulator, but I am an old Phantom Phixer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top