Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2001 11:27:11 AM EDT
I've recently started shooting in .22 silhouette matches and my offhand position needs some practice.

I want to spend my Christmas gift certificates to Bass Pro shops on a cheap airgun.  I know I can spend a ton of money on an airgun but I simply want one that is accurate enough to let me practice the off-hand position in my backyard.  I'm thinking of a Crossman 880. @(40$).   I had one when I was a kid and I recall it was pretty decent for the money.

Any suggestions?

Remember:  I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you define the upper limit on your budget? I would recommend something spring-piston powered that simulates a slight sense of recoil. That might help make your airgun practice sessions more like firing your smallbore firearm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of a Crossman 880. @(40$).   I had one when I was a kid and I recall it was pretty decent for the money.

Any suggestions?

Remember:  I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks!
View Quote

How does $95 sound???

Go to [url]www.odcmp.org[/url] and get one of their Mossberg M44's in 22LR.

They shoot one ragged hole at 25 yds, and will beat the accuracy of ANY airgun.

You will also be more able to repeat the routines of competition shooting.

Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Upper limit?  I just bought an NS522 and weaver kt15 scope for the rimfire silhouette and that put me out $405.  On top of that I have a bushmaster on lawaway with my FFL.  

So $50 to $60 is all I can spend on a pellet gun right now without having my wife file for divorce. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to you who replied.  I purchased a Daisy Powerline model 22X.  A cool, cheap adult-sized pellet rifle in .22.  I used it tonight with my daughter who is learning range safety.  What a ton of fun!  I can shoot in my suburban backyard, spend time with my daughter, and it is super-CHEAP to shoot!  
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Go here, these are great airgun sites with friendly, knowledgeable people...um, kinda like it is here at AR15.com!
[url]www.airguns.net[/url]
[url]www.airgunletter.com[/url]
[url]www.funsupply.com/message.html[/url]

here's some good places to shop, I've ordered from them before.
[url]www.goldentollerairguns.com[/url]
[url]www.funsupply.com[/url]
build some targets and pellet stops...
[url]babymd.net/aa_improved_silent_pellet_trap.htm[/url]
I made a similar "silent" trap and it works GREAT! I've got several hundred or more shots into it and it looks like it could hold more.
[url]www.airguns.net/woodtarg.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top