Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2008 12:00:43 AM EDT
Link

I heard it in a damn movie today, never heard that one before.

During Thomas Jefferson's presidential administration, Rodney Cox, from North Carolina was discovered in the act of providing former Tories with information regarding the American naval forces capability to secure American shores. After a brief ad hoc trial, Cox was convicted and sentenced to death by firing squad. Jefferson, being a notorious Anglophobic at the time, served as the sole member of the firing squad. With a single bullet dispatched from a flint-lock rifle, Cox received a fatal wound. It took 10 hours for Cox to expire, during which he lay prostrate on the White House lawn. Afterwards, he was committed to the sea in a right proper burial, albeit, without any fanfare.

Quoted:

Monticello Wiki

There is a very persistent story that Thomas Jefferson personally executed someone on the White House lawn for treason. This is not true. The story originated in the movie Swordfish (2001), where it is mentioned by John Travolta's character, Gabriel Shear.

Jefferson never personally killed anyone, nor were there any treason executions or convictions during his presidency. Jefferson did help write a "Bill to Attaint Josiah Philips and Others" in 1778, which ordered the trial and provided for the execution of the murderer and bandit Josiah Philips for treason. Josiah Philips was eventually found and convicted of robbery, not treason.[1]

I got pwn3d by Hollyweird.

Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to guess good ol' Andrew Jackson too. Anyway I like politicians from the old days better than today's variation
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
More proof that real men ran the country once upon a time...
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
So, what's the correct answer?

ETA Can anyone tell I that I did'nt read the link first?
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit, left him there to suffer for 10 hours before he finally died? I guess that shows Jefferson's position on cruel and unusual punishment
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, what's the correct answer?

Clicking on a provided link is hard and difficult.

Thomas Jefferson.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  I never knew that about Jefferson.

Lends knew meaning to the title "Chief Executive"
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I approve.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice...............Gut Shot
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
That's fucking awesome... too bad all the politicians these days are fucking pussies
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome.  Take care of business yourself, and let the dude bleed out for 10 hours as an example.  Anyone caught in acts of treason and endangering America today should be treated the same.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, I learned something new today.  That's pretty hardcore of ol' TJ!
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Woah...
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thomas Jefferson is my fucking hero.  He makes Chuck Norris look like a bitch!
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Monticello Wiki

There is a very persistent story that Thomas Jefferson personally executed someone on the White House lawn for treason. This is not true. The story originated in the movie Swordfish (2001), where it is mentioned by John Travolta's character, Gabriel Shear.

Jefferson never personally killed anyone, nor were there any treason executions or convictions during his presidency. Jefferson did help write a "Bill to Attaint Josiah Philips and Others" in 1778, which ordered the trial and provided for the execution of the murderer and bandit Josiah Philips for treason. Josiah Philips was eventually found and convicted of robbery, not treason.[1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Monticello Wiki

Link Posted: 12/28/2008 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as I recall, there's been only one person in the history of the entire United States to be executed for Treason, and it was John Brown who was executed for Treason against the State of Virginia, in 1850 or so. The US Govt. has executed spies, but never traitors (probably because of the burden of proof as established by the Constitution)
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's fucking awesome... too bad all the politicians these days are fucking pussies

I dont know, something tells me either Bush or Cheney would gut shoot a fucker that deserved it and leave them on the whitehouse lawn
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Link

During Thomas Jefferson's presidential administration, Rodney Cox, from North Carolina was discovered in the act of providing former Tories with information regarding the American naval forces capability to secure American shores. After a brief ad hoc trial, Cox was convicted and sentenced to death by firing squad. Jefferson, being a notorious Anglophobic at the time, served as the sole member of the firing squad. With a single bullet dispatched from a flint-lock rifle, Cox received a fatal wound. It took 10 hours for Cox to expire, during which he lay prostrate on the White House lawn. Afterwards, he was committed to the sea in a right proper burial, albeit, without any fanfare.

Quoted:

Monticello Wiki

well you wasted 90 minutes watching a shitty movie, but at least you got to see Halle Berrys tits.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Quoted:

Monticello Wiki

well you wasted 90 minutes watching a shitty movie, but at least you got to see Halle Berrys tits.

Also see, Monsters Ball

Hers has some nice titties

Link Posted: 12/28/2008 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Quoted:

Monticello Wiki

Also see, Monsters Ball

annnnnnnd....thread-jacked!
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Quoted:

Monticello Wiki

Also see, Monsters Ball

annnnnnnd....thread-jacked!

But at least it's heading in a good direction!
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Swordfish does have at least one awesome quote:

Stanley: War? Who are we at war with?
Gabriel: Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb 10. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourist, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that is becomes unthinkable to attack Americans.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holy shit, left him there to suffer for 10 hours before he finally died? I guess that shows Jefferson's position on cruel and unusual punishment

Vice President Aaron Burr did Alexander Hamilton like that. It took him a whole day to die after their duel. Hamilton thought Burr was playing around and fired his shot into the weeds. Burr aimed for center mass and after he shot him in the gut went to get eggs and toast for breakfast.

How's that for a cold MF?

Maybe those stupid script writers confused TJ with his vice president?
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
well you wasted 90 minutes watching a shitty movie, but at least you got to see Halle Berrys saggy tits.

That actually hurt my eyes. I had to rewind to make sure they were as bad as I thought.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top