Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 9:18:00 AM EDT
A couple of days ago on Fox one of their guests, maybe a Congressman ?, sort of casually mentioned that perhaps the President and Vice President are kept separated, and per this guy by a certain distance, is due to the very real fear that former Soviet suitcase-nukes may be a far more real possibility than is being reported.

There was also a mention that the Soviets thru their special forces had pre-positioned arms stock piles, including 1 Kilo ton - 10 kilo ton suitcase-nukes, in major American cities.

I wish I had gotten in on the beginning of the interview but didn't.

Anyone else see/hear about this ??
[?]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#2]
What! You mean the government is withholding secret intelligence information so it doesn't cause all the soccer moms to collectively pee in their pants at the same time and drown us all!!!

NOTHING would surprise me at this point.  We humans are not to bright ya know. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have heard various unattributed quotes from unidentified sources to the effect that Gov't is more concerned about nuke/radiation devices than they're letting on to general public.
At this point, very little would surprise me.
View Quote

raf, having thought a little more I'm pretty sure this was a Congressman who had been holding hearings for years that no one listened to.
He had a "CIA" built prop that including the devise was little larger than a briefcase - not a suitcase !  (One Kiloton prop)
Further he said the Soviets had made some that looked like the suitcases we have heard about but others were made to look like backpacks, even "rocks."
He also referenced a "French", gag, choke author that had done a lot of research on this topic and who had checked out as legit.
The FBI had talked with the Congressman the afternoon before he went on TV and were also scheduled to interview the French author.

As I recall over eighty so-called suitcase-nukes are missing from the Soviet/Russian arsenal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What! You mean the government is withholding secret intelligence information so it doesn't cause all the soccer moms to collectively pee in their pants at the same time and drown us all
View Quote

Excepting any soccer moms that may be affiliated with users of this board, I hope all the Ex clinton lovin s. moms wear diapers and line to s*** Ex. clinton.  Their hero !!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#6]
... Nukes are overrated. I eat hot nuclear materials for breakfast, and pass depleted urainium during bowel movements. A complete exchange between our biggest threats would kill 20 or 30 million tops.
Be happy, don't worry.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keep in mind one fact:  Nukes by their nature deteriorate over time.  They need periodic maintainence and critical (no pun intended) parts replacement on a regular basis to remain fully functional.

Absent this needed upkeep, what was once a bomb might not work at all, or turn out to be a nuclear fizzle; bad, and lethal, but not nearly so as a properly working bomb.
View Quote

Not working "works" for me.
(I did not know of the high maintenance requirement for nukes.)
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
If something happened to Bush, Dick has been up to speed on everything and is keyed into the staff.
The speaker has the house to run, and can't be up on everything in the whitehouse at the same time.

Even a plane or car bomb can take out 2 guys in close range
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#11]
the radiation from the nuclear material degrades the other components, plus the nuclear materials themselves degrade over time so there's less of it over time.

That though doesn't make it any safer for us because of the large numbers involved here. That many suitcase nukes, at least a few are bound to work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw that interview too. Not that it surprised me, but it was still sort of spooky.

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I saw that interview too. Not that it surprised me, but it was still sort of spooky.

View Quote

GOOD !!  I was afraid maybe I'd been reading the "National Requirer" or something.

Something sure stopped the press from continually commenting on the V.P.'s absence.

One 10 kiloton destroys D.C. - hard not to feel a litle spooky.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
The Soviets did have some arms pre-positioned in Europe; there were a few caches of explosives and weapons discovered after the end of the cold war when the agents defected. MOst of them dated back to the 50's and 60's.

But I doubt pre-positioning of nukes. It would just cause too many problems if one was discovered. The Soviets, while evil, were fairly rational about risk/reward calculations.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Isn't that why they sent Geraldo Rivera to Afghanistan, to keep him separated from Bush and Chaney?  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isn't that why they sent Geraldo Rivera to Afghanistan, to keep him separated from Bush and Chaney?  [;)]
View Quote

Right !  They found out Geraldo "was" the nuke.
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top