Posted: 12/23/2001 7:46:26 AM EDT
Here´s a clip of a couple of SAS lads giving the Taliban a run for their money

[url]http://dasoahc.eggshell.net/firefight.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Them some cool cats.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I see an AK and an M16 or M4.  What is the heavier stuff they are shooting?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
That was cool[50]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like an FN MAG (what the Brits call a General Purpose Machine Gun or GPMG).
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The C8 carbines are most likely the Diemaco made ones the MOD ordered some time ago.

And yes, the MG there is the "Gympy"
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk about pray and spray.  It appears they are just firing torwards an area instead of targeting an individual.  I wonder if any round they fired even came close to their targets.  

Why not rest that machine gun on the wall before them?  Why standup (present yourself a better target) and shoot?

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]

OUT-FN-STANDING
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Humph... Yeah its a FN Mag...

They got some incoming fire but I don't know why the hell he is bouncing up and down with that weapon... I am a big guy and I have trouble keeping a M240B Down
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Talk about pray and spray.  It appears they are just firing torwards an area instead of targeting an individual.  I wonder if any round they fired even came close to their targets.  

Why not rest that machine gun on the wall before them?  Why standup (present yourself a better target) and shoot?

View Quote

... all good questions
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
At about 1:16.9, watch the guy shoot a burst right into the top of the wall! DOH!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At about 1:16.9, watch the guy shoot a burst right into the top of the wall! DOH!
View Quote

hahah, I didn't notice that the first time.  [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn, I would NOT want to go hand to hand with that guy with the GPMG. That thing weighs 24 pounds EMPTY and he has it with a 200 round belt and is firing it like a rifle! And carrying it at low ready without aid of a sling!

Someone really LOVES the weight room.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
That was awesome!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess that is what a low intensity conflict looks like.

Benjamin.

No helmets. Totally Casual.  Who knows??
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Frm the
language i doubt it was sas... and the shooting was more like a rebel group... i dont think they hit anything. They did show some fire and move but didnt target anything. I think it was a group of rag heads that have been trained but never put any training to use...pat
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Tuukka, are you sure that the Telestock M16 Carbien Variant is a Diemaco C8?

ArmdLbrl, what do you expect? for final qualification, these guys have to do a 25K run carrying 26KG (don't know how much in lb) in 4 hours over the 800m Pen Y Fan range in Wales

I saw that on BBC & CNN
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#17]
looks like fun![50]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I simply can't believe they were targeting anything............

Just doing a mess for the cameramen.

PP out
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Frm the
language i doubt it was sas... and the shooting was more like a rebel group... i dont think they hit anything. They did show some fire and move but didnt target anything. I think it was a group of rag heads that have been trained but never put any training to use...pat
View Quote

So you didn´t spot the caucasian looking lads or the english they spoke.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tuukka, are you sure that the Telestock M16 Carbien Variant is a Diemaco C8?

ArmdLbrl, what do you expect? for final qualification, these guys have to do a 25K run carrying 26KG (don't know how much in lb) in 4 hours over the 800m Pen Y Fan range in Wales

I saw that on BBC & CNN
View Quote

Apparently that includes doing push ups with that 26k... Or they carry some of it in their arms not in a pack, in a pack it doesnt test your arms... it's not just the weight of the MAG its the fact that the leverage is wrong, like holding a 25lb sledge by the butt of the handle and pointing it.

And the carbine looks like the Diemaco SFW, with the 16.1in heavy barrel. That is why it looks almost like a post-ban US civvy carbine.
[url]www.diemaco.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#21]
FTC......"for the camera"!

DaMan
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems that it was one of the NA looking troops that shot the rounds into the side of the wall(the guy that's squatting low in the beginning of the film), almost seems he's laughing about it at the end of the film(hey, I killed a wall, whatda you kill so far?).  

Looks like the MGer and his other friend isn't of darker skin and talks sorta with a brit accent.  But got me if they are SAS.  Cool footage, would like to see a few more hours of the camera following the SF or SAS.

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hm, even in publications the faces of SAS troops are blocked out, how is it in the clip their faces were shown to the world?  Also their firing discipline doesn't seem to be that of an elite unit, just spray and pray, as stated one of them sprayed the wall in front of him causing sparks to fly everywhere.
View Quote

Because the journalist taking the film was AMERICAN. British photogs have to censor, but the SAS have no leverage over a American.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I CANT GET IT TO PLAY! [>Q]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#26]
In my opinion these guys are definately SAS.

Go to Yahoo! and do a news photo search for Special Forces or SAS and you will see guys dressed very similarly and carrying M4/C8ish looking weapons identified as either SAS or "Foreign Special Forces" (or something along those lines).

I am trying to determine whether the carrying handle on that M16/M4/C8-looking weapon in the video is fixed or detachable.  

I have seen photos of fixed carrying handle C8's and flat-top C8's, but never a flat top C8 with a detachable carrying handle attached.

I have also never seen a fixed carrying handle version of the C8 Special Forces Weapon, which the carbine in the video looks like due to the profile of its barrel.

Anyone know?

JAW
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Also are those regular (CAR-15) or M4 handguards, or the Diemaco knock-off of the RIS/RAS?

Enquiring minds want to know, eh?
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I watched this again.

I think they are standing back from the wall so they can move better vs. setting up in a fixed position.  Also, for reasons that escape me at this late hour, I remember crowding your cover is a no-no.

I think these guys are for real.  I don't know exactly what the logistics situation is for our friends from the UK but I doubt they would fire that many rounds and jump around to give some Yankee (kidding) journalist a nice bit of footage, particularly given their (the SAS's) general aversion to publicity and spotlight.

Most of the pics I've seen so far of these guys from A-Stan either (a) have their faces partially covered by a Shemagh, (b) are distant, or (c) are from an angle that doesn't show their face.

It probably went "loud" when some journalist/cameraman happened to be there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top