Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 12/23/2001 6:55:24 AM EDT
This is wierd. I just fired up the laptop with a new PCMCIA V92 modem using an earthlink dial up account. For about the first 12 hours every time I logged on it came up with a connection speed of 115 KPS. I thought that perhaps this was some software glitch until I started surfing. It Smoked!! I mean web pages were just flipping up like they came off of my hard drive. Almost zero wait. I'd compare it to my T1 at work. I updated the drivers to XP and now I'm back to 49K. I tried uninstalling the drivers to the old ones but no avail. still 50K or under. Does anyone have any Idea how I got those 115KPS speeds? I want them back!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:16:01 AM EDT
I did this with my USR Courier a while back, basically you are seeing your port speed, not your connect speed.. I used the 3COM drivers instead of windows 3COM drivers it switched back to normal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:35:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pdm: This is wierd. I just fired up the laptop with a new PCMCIA V92 modem using an earthlink dial up account. For about the first 12 hours every time I logged on it came up with a connection speed of 115 KPS. I thought that perhaps this was some software glitch until I started surfing. It Smoked!! I mean web pages were just flipping up like they came off of my hard drive. Almost zero wait. I'd compare it to my T1 at work. I updated the drivers to XP and now I'm back to 49K. I tried uninstalling the drivers to the old ones but no avail. still 50K or under. Does anyone have any Idea how I got those 115KPS speeds? I want them back!
View Quote
I beleive 115k is the rate at which your comport is locked, or the maximum data throughput on that com port. Ian
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:42:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2001 7:36:24 AM EDT by Pritom]
Yup, I've seen that before too. I'll bet it was incorrectly measuring the com port instead of the modem speed. The instances that I'm familiar with was when I used modem drivers that didn't exactly fit the modem I was working with. When I went to various speedtest web sites on the internet, I was still in the standard 40-51kilobit range and my downloads of files on the internet were still in the 3-5 kilobyte range as a 56k modem would be. Once I finally found the correct drivers, then the "115k" measurement became and changed to my online connection speed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:54:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:15:01 AM EDT
Thanks guys. I kind of figured that it was reading the max port speed. What has me baffeled is that the modem just smoked. It was dramatically faster than it is normally. I messed around going to some known slow sites (i.e. Brownells) and these pages came up in a blink. Even this site was clicking open like it coming off of my hard drive. Wierd.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:24:22 AM EDT
Top Top