Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Washington and Idaho do have documented populations of grizzlies

Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico do not

Not in the past 30 yrs that is, but 60 yrs ago or more it was almost common

Washington has small populations that come over the border from Canada.  But they don't have any evidence they have arrived the populated areas around Mount Rainer/Mount St. Helens.  They had a sighting in that area a few years ago and all the hikers and campers sh*t a brick.

Idaho's populations are up in the panhandle and over by Yellowstone.  They had a credible sighting in the Clearwater area a few years ago not too far from my cabin that caused quite a stir.

Because grizzlies are still a threatened species –– the Bush Administration has started the delisting process –– any grizzly population in the 48 states means extra work and headaches for the local game managers.

Uh, if you'll kindly look on a WA map we have a Grizzly National Reclamation Wilderness in NE WA, a lot more than "just a few coming down from Canada."  Also, they have never been limited to the panhandle in ID.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pedobears seem to be native to ARFcom GD this week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Washington and Idaho do have documented populations of grizzlies

Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico do not

Not in the past 30 yrs that is, but 60 yrs ago or more it was almost common

Washington has small populations that come over the border from Canada.  But they don't have any evidence they have arrived the populated areas around Mount Rainer/Mount St. Helens.  They had a sighting in that area a few years ago and all the hikers and campers sh*t a brick.

Idaho's populations are up in the panhandle and over by Yellowstone.  They had a credible sighting in the Clearwater area a few years ago not too far from my cabin that caused quite a stir.

Because grizzlies are still a threatened species –– the Bush Administration has started the delisting process –– any grizzly population in the 48 states means extra work and headaches for the local game managers.

Uh, if you'll kindly look on a WA map we have a Grizzly National Reclamation Wilderness in NE WA, a lot more than "just a few coming down from Canada."  Also, they have never been limited to the panhandle in ID.

I was under the impression that the Selkirk population was only about 20 animals or so.

In any case, the grizzly I was talking about was seen in Hunt Unit 10 where according to the Idaho DF&G there aren't supposed to be any.  You're probably right that some individuals are roaming around, but there aren't any stable populations there yet (at least officially).
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They were native to pretty much all western states.  Only a few still have them.

+1 Grizzly Bears never did learn how to read maps.  They never put much stock in Political boundaries.    
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know how to skin Griz?

I can skin' em as fast as you can catch' em

You might want to kill it first.  Grizzly Bear are kind of attached to their skins.

Name the film.

Jeremiah Johnson
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top