BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Japanese view the US as a market; one it would like to dominate, but one it would like to have stay around for a while. However, I do believe that certain actions taken in the 80's, such as dumping steel and memory chips on the US market, were taken solely to destroy US businesses competing in those market sectors. This is ancient history today. It is regarded as fact. Now, is the destruction of US firms from those sectors not akin to an act of war? Sure, our own policies allowed it, but I do believe the Japanese took advantage of our market economy during that time.
View Quote

You raise many good points.  I wouldn't call it an act of war.  The Japanese only exploited the opportunities that the situation presented.  America could have acted to stop it (and still can).  The demise of our steel industry isn't ancient history.  That's happening today at the hands of Japanese and Russian dumping (among others).  America ought to wake up and DO something about it.  Anybody here think "free trade" is good for America?  Think again.  Sure, it has short term benefits for consumers.  But at what cost?

Quoted: By in large, the Japanese people I have met are well-mannered, respectful, and good social company. They are financially independent, insomuch as they tend to pay their own way to college here in the US.
View Quote

This is my experience as well.

Quoted: However, they are in complete and utter denial as to their actions before and during WWII. It's very difficult to get them to talk about that time at all. They know they did something wrong, but it's not something they talk about.
View Quote

Their society is different than ours.  In America, failure is viewed as a learning experience.  In Japan, no one takes blame for anything.  I'm not surprised that they don't want to talk about WWII...especially with Americans.  America whipped their asses.  It is not a nice subject.  Anyway, if you get to know them closely, they will open up and talk about the war.  I've found that there is a general lack of knowledge in Japan about historical events.  It is not exclusive to information about the war.  They also don't tend to care all that much about politics.

Regarding "their" actions, yes, I think the younger generations in Japan should learn from the sins of their forefathers.  But, there is no sense at all in blaming them for events which happened before they were born.  My experience is that the younger generation of Japanese can scarcely dream of having a war...nor do I think they have the stomach for it.

Quoted:The Japanese are in total denial in regards to their actions in Manchuria, Korea, the Philippines; you name it. Doesn't that tell you a little about the Japanese psyche?
View Quote

It tells quite a lot.  Their psyche is delicate.

Quoted: Finally, if you feel the term "Jap" is a slight, consider for a moment the slang words they use to describe everyone who is non-Japanese. "Jap" is not so bad.
View Quote

Gaijin?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top