Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 8:51:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
How about the little kid in Kalifornia who was decapitated by an air bag, during an accident.  Head poped off and flew out the window.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That's eerie.  She should have been a character in "The Omen."  Maybe they've got recent picures of her with a little faint black line across her neck?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's eerie.  She should have been a character in "The Omen."  Maybe they've got recent picures of her with a little faint black line across her neck?
View Quote

Now, see, I KNEW better than to see that movie, especially when I was sick with the flu.

I thought I had forgotten that, but NO! you gotta dredge it back up to the surface.

Brrr...

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I HATE driving behind those trash hauling/construction materials trucks.

I recently had the joy of driving on 495 here near Washington DC and was stuck behind a trash hauling truck from some private company.  Basically it was a large pickup with crap stuffed in it.  I watched a large plank of wood teetering on top of the rest of the pile, just waiting for it to become dislodged and fly through my window.

He got off the interstate before I could see where he was from or I would have reported him.

What idiot wouldn't secure his load before GOING ON A HIGH SPEED INTERSTATE??

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
This kind of crap is nothing new.  When I was in school about a hundred years oag (or so it seems) Two of my classmates and their dates were driving on a fairly open two lane highway.  A truck coming the other way with a loose load.  A large iro boom swung out around a corned and wiped off the left side of the car.  Including one guy's head and the same for the other guy's date in the back seat.  The remaining people in the car were physically untouched.

Whatta way to go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
similar incident happened to me... a toothless inbred fool was driving his pickup down I95 with a utility trailer in tow.  A piece of sheet metal flew off the trailer and hit my car causing about 3k in damage...  I get the ass to pull over and he tells me he though everything was weighted down pretty good... jackass obviously doesn't understand what a 60 mph wind will do to a piece of flat metal...  what was suprising was the fact that he actually had valid insurance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Two years ago my wife, daughter, and nephew were travelling along a semi-rural highway when an 8 foot couch flew off the back of an oncoming pickup truck and into her lane. The jackass in the truck stopped momentarilly and then sped off. While the couch impacted the front of our Pontiac at closing speeds exceding 100mph pretty much wiped out the front end, fortunately none of the passengeres were injured. After changing one of the front tires, I was able to drive the car home and then to a local body shop. Still pisses me off, though.

And for some strange reason, it seems as though a year never goes by without a rendering truck overturning on I-5 somewhere in Seattle. Must be a pleasant experience having a truckload of cow guts spilled on or near you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]
(rant on)

I live in the Houston area and can say we have the dirtiest roads and highways.  Its not just the sand, gravel, rocks, glass but also the tire treads, lumber, metals of all kinds and just plain junk.

Over half the cars I've seen either have borken windsheilds or have had them replaced, mine included.  

The problem?  Too many "toothless wonders" driving around in their trucks with unsecured loads.  I saw a lowboy trailer being used to haul sand!  What kind of crap has to happen until the idiots learn?

Also speeding like going 85 in a 65 with a fully loaded truck [i]and trailer[/i].

Its not the long-haulers, its the short haulers.  Gravel trucks are the worst.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What idiot wouldn't secure his load before GOING ON A HIGH SPEED INTERSTATE??
View Quote

the non-caucasian/migrant workers of the local landscaping companies.  seriously, it's practically an everyday occurrence on US60 (Phoenix/Mesa area) to see some wheel barrow or lawn mower (heck, one day it was the entire trailer) sitting "dead in the water" so to speak right smack in the middle of the highway.

when my mom was in high school she knew a kid who got drunk with a bunch of friends.  and as his buddy was driving wildly down the streets that night, said kid stuck his head out the car window.  driver swerved and kid was decapitated by a telephone pole.  

enough to make you swear off alcohol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Here in So. Calif, there a LOT of folks with pickup trucks hauling all kinds of things, and when going 65MPH, some of this stuff flies out of the back. I have seen all kinds of construction equipment in the middle of the freeways, but mostly ladders.  I try not to follow these not-so bright guys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate the damned rock trucks with the sign on the back that says "Not reponsible for any damage".
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I was on I80 east bound into Omaha 20 years ago and saw a semi's pup-trailer sitting in the median, still up right. The tongue had made a nice scrape in the pavement and one hell of a gouge in the grass.

That is the only time I've seen or heard of one coming off. But when I pass one now, it's speed limit be damned. I am NOT going to be beside it any longer than I have to be.

*edited because I got my Interstates mixed up [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The same thing happened here on the 80 freeway near Emeryville I believe. A piece of scrap metal bounced off a flat-bed and smashed through the windshield of a woman's car, taking her head in the process.

I've seen everything from ladders to couches in the middle of the freeway. One time I was driving home late from my girlfriend's house and came upon a flaming bonfire in the middle of the 680 freeway near Pleasanton at 4:00 AM. The material it was burning was stacked about 4 feet high and the flames had to be 6 feet above that. I suspect it was some sort of prank.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
ARLady, it's okay to say "Mexican" on this board. Anyone from the southwest knows who you're talking about.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ARLady, it's okay to say "Mexican" on this board. Anyone from the southwest knows who you're talking about.
View Quote

The PC version is "less than optimally documented laborers" or "alternatively documented laborers"

We still call them "wetbacks"  "wets" for short.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked one very similar to this in August on I-70. Westbound steel salvage truck drops a counter-weight for railroad crossing arm. After sitting on the roadway for about two hours it gets kicked around by another vehicle before going through the windshield of a car. It struck the driver just below the right eye before going out the back window. She was DRT.
Jackson County Prosecutor charged the driver of the steel truck with Involuntary Manslaughter. Pre-lim was Weds. Trial starts in Jan.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Did anyone see the news clip (filmed by a hellicopter) of the guy in the pickup running from the cops? He went to bail out the drivers door while the truck was still rolling approximately 10-15 mph. He opened the door and let go of the steering wheel. The truck started to veer towards an inner 8 foot jersey wall. He was half way out of the door when the truck slapped the wall. His neck was between the top of the door frame and the roof. The force of the impact slammed the door and shot his head about 15 feet into the air. It landed on the other side of the wall!

Funniest damn thing I ever saw!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Those acts of God really stick it in and break it off don't they?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#19]
My FIRST traffic accident response when I was on FTO was to the scene of a decap of a woman passenger. The driver was an illegal Mexican who just left her there but I caught up with him. His BAC was .020+ and was successfully prosecuted for negligent homicide.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Just goes to show women do loose their head very quickly while driving...[;)]

yeah yeah...I know it's gallow's humor..so what us paramedics have special permission to be that way...
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#21]
coolest thing I ever saw along the roadside was a truck bed liner.  Drove the rest of the way home thinking how you would get enough air between it and the bed to suck it out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been on a decapitation (and more) scene. Some kid on a motorcycle (who had been drinking at a party) came flying down the Loop202 at about 100 Mph, lost control, and hit the concrete guardrail on the right side just West of Scottsdale. It appeared that his bike skidded along the wall while the midsection of his body struck a light pole. His bike continued down the freeway until it went down, and was pushed another half mile or so by cars striking it. The rider was not so lucky. His upper body was flailed out on the service platform for the light pole, and his head was lying on the platform. His legs were about 20 yards down the freeway. Every time I make the 101/202 transition, I think of that guy. Somewhere around here I have some pictures and even some scene video.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was in high school, me and some friends drove up on an accident that had happened a block from us right before we turned the corner. It sounded like a bomb going off.

A guy in a van had ran a red light and was t-boned by an 18-wheeler going probably 40-45. We pulled up to the red light where the intersection was, because we were blocked off, and among the wreckage I see the guys head laying in the middle of the street. The guy driving the semi was climbing out and me and a friend ran to the now demolished van to see if anybody was still alive to help. There was nobody else in the van, but the drivers body was still seatbelted in his seat.

It was a pretty greusome sight, and likely one that I'll never forget.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw another bad wreck maybe a month and a half ago two blocks from my moms house where a 16 year old kid ran the stop sign to cross a two lane highway and was struck broadside by a Ford dualey with a 16' flatbed in tow.

His truck rolled a time and a half and he was ejected at some point and the now flat-topped truck came to rest on top of him, well his head anyways. The dualy continued sliding and came to rest with the two front tires parked on top of the over turned pickup and the kid was directly underneath.

The guy in the dualy walked away and the truck still looked driveable. The kid was obviously DRT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Another "winner" of the Unlucky Lotto.

I used to work in a wrecking yard and got in a Volvo 240 sedan that was missing a windshield. On further inspection, the roof line right above the driver's side was bowed upward, the drivers seat was fully reclined, and the interior was stained dark reddish brown.
The attorney for the deceased came in to take some more pictures and what not.
He said that the Volvo was behind a car that was was hit head on by a plumber's truck, complete with pipe rack.  The Volvo stopped in time but couldn't avoid being hit by some pipes that flew over the car in front, glanced off the Volvo's hood, and smashed through the windshield and struck the driver in the chest and head.
Not pretty.

Oh, Happy Holidays!

Paul
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two years ago my wife, daughter, and nephew were travelling along a semi-rural highway when an 8 foot couch flew off the back of an oncoming pickup truck and into her lane. The jackass in the truck stopped momentarilly and then sped off. While the couch impacted the front of our Pontiac at closing speeds exceding 100mph pretty much wiped out the front end, fortunately none of the passengeres were injured. After changing one of the front tires, I was able to drive the car home and then to a local body shop. Still pisses me off, though.

And for some strange reason, it seems as though a year never goes by without a rendering truck overturning on I-5 somewhere in Seattle. Must be a pleasant experience having a truckload of cow guts spilled on or near you.
View Quote

At least that, we must have had two or three of them dump theirloads this summer.

When my dad was a teenager one of his friends hit a power line pole, severinging the line which then swung down and cut the top of the car and his head off.

Isn't this topic a pleasant read!

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#28]
rant on

Just yesterday, as we were driving east in New Mexico towards El Paso on I-10, a large flatbed trailer ahead of us was loaded with twelve piled up and flattened scrap automobiles.  These were not very well secured and there was much steel debris flying off.  One piece hit our truck just above the windshield in front of my wife.  When I tried to get the driver to stop, his response was "Chinga tu madre". He had no visible license plates.

He knows not how close he came to being shot right there on the freeway.  If there wasn't so much traffic for him to endanger, I might have done it.

I believe this was a "NAFTA" truck headed for Mexico. This is what we have to look forward to as the U.S. collectively kisses Vicente Fox's behind.

rant off
marsh
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.click2houston.com/hou/news/stories/news-113289520011219-121249.html[/url]

HOUSTON -- Houston police investigated a freak accident Wednesday after a woman was decapitated while driving on the freeway.

The metal crashed through the windshield of the 43-year-old Pasadena mother's small car and decapitated her, authorities said.

Police said that [green]the metal landed next to a Bible[/green] sitting on the back passenger seat.
View Quote

Clearly God was watching over her.  Hallelujiah!  Praise the Lawd!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://www.click2houston.com/hou/news/stories/news-113289520011219-121249.html[/url]

HOUSTON -- Houston police investigated a freak accident Wednesday after a woman was decapitated while driving on the freeway.

The metal crashed through the windshield of the 43-year-old Pasadena mother's small car and decapitated her, authorities said.

Police said that [green]the metal landed next to a Bible[/green] sitting on the back passenger seat.
View Quote

Clearly God was watching over her.  Hallelujiah!  Praise the Lawd!
View Quote

That was not an appropriate comment to make about a person that died going to work.  I knew her personally!

Rest her soul.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you do when some crap flys off some guy's truck and damages your car.  Is he/she responsible for the damage?  How do you get them to stop?  Any advice?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I heard about an incident that happened about 10 years ago. A truck going down the freeway was hauling some sheet metal and a piecee got loose, went airborne, and sliced the head clean off of a guy riding a motorcycle. Funny thing was that the body didn't fall off but kept riding until the bike hit a bump.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#34]
When I was driving back and forth from Ohio to Florida I saw a semi hauling yellow school bus paint jack knife. The paint went through the front of the cab and came out through the front window orange. I will never forget it, freaked me out to no end!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#35]
When I was in high school, I heard about a kid who got run over by a car and killed. He was riding down a path on the side of the road, and flew out into the street without looking for cars. A van ran into, where he hit the windshield and got bounced into the other lane of traffic. He landed right in front of car, who had no time to stop. Car tires ran right over his head, crushing it beyond recognition. The driver of the car happened to be my German Teacher. It was a weird class when she finally came back. Wasn't her fault, but running over someone doesn't leave you for a while.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That was not an appropriate comment to make about a person that died going to work.  I knew her personally!

Rest her soul.
View Quote

Sympathies, Nathaniel.  Yes, I was rude and tasteless;  my apologies.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#37]
About 7 yrs ago I was going to Knob Creek and I was on 264. I was running about 60mph behind a pickup with a crap load of new furniture in wrap. I for some strange reason go into the fast lane and started to pass. Right as I got to about his rear wheel every single piece of furniture came out like it had C4 under it! All I could do was watch it explode all over the road in my rear view mirror. Thank God I decided to pass when I did. BTW the freeway was empty and no cars were hit.

Greg
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rest her soul.
View Quote

Sympathies, Nathaniel.  Yes, I was rude and tasteless;  my apologies.
View Quote

Apologies accepted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top