Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 7:14:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea, I saw this on theregister. What really gives me the creeps about this story is...
Sun employs a ton of developers in India and a lot of LINUX and xBSD kernel work is done in India.

~~We wont talk about Apache *shudder*
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
So we are now to believe that the same people running around not taking showers for weeks on end while they live in cave are computer hackers?

I find it hard to believe that these guys could have gained employment at Microsoft without arising suspicion since some of them couldn't even take flying lessons without getting the cops called on them. Surely the programmers for Microsoft have some type of security clearance and this would have turned up any kind of shady background.

I have a hard time believing any of this...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
So that explains why XP works so well! I just knew this couldn't be Microsoft's doing....
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, THAT explains XP!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap!  Both of the Windows XP users should be notified of this!

MS held a seminar in town a couple weeks ago to promote XP.  They had about 7 MS employees, 7 or 8 MS partner employees, and a tremendous buffet laid out.

They had three (3) people show up for it.  The upside was, everybody got a door prize.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey...I'm running XP.

I hope the FBI doesn't think I'm a terrorist.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey...I'm running XP.
View Quote

My enterprise datacenter is still running on Microsoft Bob.  It's stable and has a good GUI.

I hope the FBI doesn't think I'm a terrorist.
View Quote

Posting on ar15.com won't help matters any, I think.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My enterprise datacenter is still running on Microsoft Bob.  It's stable and has a good GUI.
View Quote

BOB rofl!!
You have updated to Active BOB ... Right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

BOB rofl!!
You have updated to Active BOB ... Right?
View Quote

No way dude... that cookie shit makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
What's the big deal? Microsoft sabotages their own products intentionally.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#12]
a lot of LINUX and xBSD kernel work is done in India.
View Quote

Name one developer.  I've used Linux for over nine years, and I can't name a single developer from India.  That's besides the point anyway, because the source is available so that we can tell something like that hasn't happened.  With Microsoft, you just have to assume everything is ok, because they don't allow you to verify their code.

What's the big deal? Microsoft sabotages their own products intentionally.
View Quote

The big deal?  Many people are killed each day in accidents, but it's a huge news story if someone gets even a small injury from an alleged terrorist attack.  So, Microsoft sets IT back 20 years, and that isn't big news.  A terrorist might have caused a small problem, then that's huge news.  It's the irrational, overreacting news media at work.z
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
a lot of LINUX and xBSD kernel work is done in India.
View Quote

Name one developer.  I've used Linux for over nine years, and I can't name a single developer from India.  That's besides the point anyway, because the source is available so that we can tell something like that hasn't happened.  With Microsoft, you just have to assume everything is ok, because they don't allow you to verify their code.
View Quote

How about
Maneesh Soni or any of twenty others.. Hit the changelog at Kernel.org and look at the credits.

Sheesh lonix lionies irk mm

Tell me what this C code does guy.

erk there is no /code def on this board... NM

Another edit to refute the "We have the source and you cant back door us" argument.

Z. can you tell me how many back doors have made it into Red Hat distros in the last 5 revs?
>20?
>50?
Damn man, go hit rootshell... You obviously have too much confidence in your OS.

sheeit they are still finding holes in 5.0. Only god knows about 7.2. How long has it taken the OpenBSD crew just to review the TCP stack?

3 years and they still aren't done.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So we are now to believe that the same people running around not taking showers for weeks on end while they live in cave are computer hackers?
View Quote

You have just described the average programmer.

I find it hard to believe that these guys could have gained employment at Microsoft without arising suspicion since some of them couldn't even take flying lessons without getting the cops called on them. Surely the programmers for Microsoft have some type of security clearance and this would have turned up any kind of shady background.

View Quote

Man, if you only knew how the software business works, you would crap. Security clearance? Hell no! Microsoft hires thousands of Indian and Chinese contractors here on H1-B's. Background checks? Maybe on the Americans, but they cannot check the foreign contractors. Hell, half the programmers I know look like terrorists and those are the white guys! :)

There is no way in hell they can police every line of code. The best they can do is run it through unit testing and if it works as advertised, fine. That doesn't preclude backdoors, trojans, or anything like that.

There ain't no security in MS products because they don't give a sh*t. They say they do, but they don't.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Good, I hope this sacks the H1B program for good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh boy they have done it now.....Revenge of the Nerds, Part 5  Pocket protectors and ARs.....kick a$$
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Why would they need al-Quaeda to do it??  Microsoft sabotages themselves:

http://[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011220/tc/microsoft_hackers.html[/url]
http://[url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134380716_webxp20.html[/url]
http://[url]http://news.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011220/us/1008878588microsoft_hackers_la113.html[/url]

I love the picture of the three guys who found it (last link above).[:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
When are you folks going to stop buying the complete and utter bullshit that the government stooges and mouthpieces are feeding you?

Let's see, the Al-Qaeda/Taliban have so far:
.Been identified as the real bombers of Pearl Harbor
-Bought every single private party transfer weapon sold at every US gun show in the last 10 years
-Shot J.R. Ewing
-Hacked MS XP
-Raped our beloved housepets
-Created cancer and foisted it on the world

Come on, folks, are you human beings or sponges? Can any of you think for yourselves, or do you just soak up all the bullshit CNN pours on you?

If the founders asked someone to give evidence of the fall of our beloved Republic, this is the kind of shit I would point them to.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-Shot J.R. Ewing
View Quote

LOL. Too bad they didn't kill him! [:)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When are you folks going to stop buying the complete and utter bullshit that the government stooges and mouthpieces are feeding you?

Let's see, the Al-Qaeda/Taliban have so far:
.Been identified as the real bombers of Pearl Harbor
-Bought every single private party transfer weapon sold at every US gun show in the last 10 years
-Shot J.R. Ewing
-Hacked MS XP
-Raped our beloved housepets
-Created cancer and foisted it on the world

Come on, folks, are you human beings or sponges? Can any of you think for yourselves, or do you just soak up all the bullshit CNN pours on you?

If the founders asked someone to give evidence of the fall of our beloved Republic, this is the kind of shit I would point them to.

View Quote

And shot Mr. Burns
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well then you don't live in Seattle.  We are awash in Indian dudes.  Many of them live near and work at MS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top