Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 6:09:26 AM EDT
More comming out on the trib, on the CPD. Gee, the police dont lie?  

That is why in Chicago, take the beating you are going to get, and keep on asking for a lawyer!

c-rock http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0112190353dec19.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed

But the case built upon Taylor's confession, like others examined in a Tribune investigation, was not as airtight as it seemed.

Just as he was going to be formally charged with two counts of murder, Taylor protested to detectives that he could not have committed the crimes because he had been in police custody when they occurred.

Within days, police found an arrest report that showed Taylor was locked up for disorderly conduct at 6:45 p.m. on Nov. 16, the night of the murders. A copy of a bond slip showed he had not been released from the Town Hall District lockup until 10 p.m.

The murders occurred at 8:43 p.m., according to police.

But instead of releasing Taylor and questioning how he came to confess, detectives gathered evidence putting Taylor on the street when the murders occurred and casting doubt on his arrest records.

They found a witness--a drug dealer and rival gang member--who said he saw Taylor in Clarendon Park at 7:30 p.m. They found two police officers, Michael Berti and Sean Glinski, who then filed a report saying they emerged from an apartment a half-block from the murders after making a drug arrest and saw Taylor at 9:30 p.m.

The fact that a jury chose to believe Taylor's confession over the police records that documented his arrest and his time in the lockup illustrates the remarkable potency of confessions in the criminal justice system. Taylor's conviction also shows just how difficult it can be for a defendant to disavow his confession, even when he has an alibi supported not by relatives or friends, but by police records.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0112190353dec19.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed[/url]

link active

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
This question begs to be asked....Why in the world would someone confess to a crime they did not commit? That is just asking for trouble....
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
What comesto my mind is that maybe he was involved, confesses and then falsely accuses the police, causing so many problems they are too busy to look for the real killer. He could be a co- conspirator.
Next I still distrust Democrat controlled areas, too much in the way of politics.
Lastly, c-rock seems to enjoy this too much? Hey lets bash all cops because maybe some are dirty. I know there are dirty cops, I have workedwith them, I have spoken out against them. Most of us are good citizens, it is just a dirty job out there. And contary to most liberals, criminals are repeats, related to other criminalsand could care less about the laws, except to use them for their own purpose. Now you can substitute 'liberal polititions' for 'criminals' LOL liberal politition bashing.BAHBAHBAHBAH
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Next I still distrust Democrat controlled areas, too much in the way of politics.
Lastly, c-rock seems to enjoy this too much? Hey lets bash all cops because maybe some are dirty. I know there are dirty cops, I have workedwith them, I have spoken out against them. Most of us are good citizens, it is just a dirty job out there. And contary to most liberals, criminals are repeats, related to other criminalsand could care less about the laws, except to use them for their own purpose. Now you can substitute 'liberal polititions' for 'criminals' LOL liberal politition bashing.BAHBAHBAHBAH
View Quote

I have been enjoying this one too much.  [;)]
You all get to see first hand what us Illinois folks have to deal with.  
This is wrong, and the way Chicago is, it will keep on comming.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey lets bash all cops because maybe some are dirty. I know there are dirty cops, I have workedwith them, I have spoken out against them. bashing.BAHBAHBAHBAH
View Quote

More should speak out. I find it wrong that cops beat and torture people. Use elecritical wires to torture kids, and get promoted for it too.
Heck even the "chief" from way back when is in jail right now for setting up robberies of jewelers!

I know there are pieces of shit out there. Around here, you cannot help but step into some.

I ran into one on the street last night comming home from the gym.  Some punk tried some shit on me, roll up next to me talking smack. I backed off, cause I did not want trouble.  

The point is, you cannot depend on the po-po for you personal protection, around here, events like this are showing it.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not say where the blame is? Daly comes to mind, then support of Klinton, Gore, and the likes of them. How many honest Chicago cops are you bashing while you miss the leaders in city hall and the state house. Bad cops are the symptom of corruption. The cause is blindnees and apathy on the part of the voters.
What was the name of the Chicago congressman that went to club fed?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ran into one on the street last night comming home from the gym.  Some punk tried some shit on me, roll up next to me talking smack. I backed off, cause I did not want trouble.  

View Quote

This is one example of how concealed handgun laws benefit society. This kind of stuff is much more rare in these parts and I believe it has a lot to do with the more liberal gun laws and the fact that you never know who is packin.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not say where the blame is? Daly comes to mind, then support of Klinton, Gore, and the likes of them. How many honest Chicago cops are you bashing while you miss the leaders in city hall and the state house. Bad cops are the symptom of corruption. The cause is blindnees and apathy on the part of the voters.
What was the name of the Chicago congressman that went to club fed?
View Quote

I blame them too.  Daley is a problem around here, and the politics they export to the burbs.
Rostinoski is the one, name is hard to spell.  

Still, beating people with flashlights, and other stuff is just plain wrong.  

I know there is good cops in CPD, but each month this past year, someone gets arrested, or even goes to prison from that police force.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is one example of how concealed handgun laws benefit society. This kind of stuff is much more rare in these parts and I believe it has a lot to do with the more liberal gun laws and the fact that you never know who is packin.
View Quote

I know this, but CCW is a no-no in this state. I still pratice the "six seconds to safety" around these parts.  
It was cold out last night around here, and this kid kept on sticking his head out the window. Looking back at me, for whatever.  Tinted windows on the car too. I praticed my "six seconds to safety", then backed off, and got behind the guy.  Then turned when he went passed one intersection.  I knew backing off was the best thing. Must keep head clear, and keep cool and calm.
No time to be a cowboy.

c-rock  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You know this is going to really piss off alot of you but what the hell.
I'll bet the little bastard was guilty of something. Why not take his sorry ass off the streets before he did anything. Sort of like calling the exterminator and keeping the rats from ever getting started.
I'll bet he is no little angel so whats the deal?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll bet the little bastard was guilty of something. Why not take his sorry ass off the streets before he did anything. Sort of like calling the exterminator and keeping the rats from ever getting started.
View Quote

Exceed the speed limit much? Ever carry a loaded weapon without a permit? Do much drinking before you were 21? I'll bet you're no angel, so what's the big deal, right?

The guy might be a punk, but putting him inside for 2 murders that the police know he didn't do might be a touch excessive. How about surveilling the guy and busting him when he's dirty if they know he's a scumbag and want to put him in prison?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I see your point but I am not moved to change my mind
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is just one case of around 70 or more that have cops lying, or torturing people.  
Laws are laws, no-one is supposed to be above the law.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me add this,
in the pass year in the CPD, we have had the following.

Rookie cop selling XTC in one of burbs.

The former Chief Detective put in jail for robbing jewelery people

Cop put in prison for selling coke, and sending gangbangers to steal guns.

15 Kgs of coke stolen from the main cook county court house.

detective pistol whipping some guy with her felon son.

more cops arrested for selling drugs, most in their 40's and 50's.  

Chicago cop arrested for molesting a boy.

Plus these cases brought forth,  shit goes down in Chicago, and trusting the police is foolish around these parts.  

c-rock
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
c-rock
Looks like if I was you I would move. I was not aware of all the BULSHIT going on around that area but it sure stinks.
It is to bad that you can't trust your local law enforcement.
I do lots of business with police around here and they are some of my best customers and friends.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah the Chicago Cops are sort of like the Cops in a South American Banana Republic....Rotten and Corrupt to the core.

When you think of Chicago, you have to remember, it is run just like a South American Dictatorship.

The Chicago Cops are not so much Police, as we would expect Police to be in the rest of the Civilized World, but rather they are as much an organization of Thugs & Gangsters as any Street Gang.

The Chicago Police Department has a long running history of Corruption going all the way back to the days of Al Capone.

I could never understand why the US Justice Department has never made an attempt to clean them up.

In order to clean them up you would have to Fire every damn one of them and call in the National Guard and Federal Troops to patrol the Streets.

This was done recently with the much smaller Police Dept. of nearby Cicero, Illinois. But Cicero only had about 70 Cops. Chicago has around 15,000 I believe.

All in all the Chicago Cops are not really Cops, but rather Gangster Thugs, Goons with Guns, and filthy swine who have the power to arrest and shake down Citizens.

Years ago I used to live in Chicago and couldn't wait for the chance to move to a Safer Location where the US Constitution and Bill of Rights were actually recognized by the powers that be.

Eventually I moved out of Cook County all together as not only is Chicago Corrupt and Dispicable, but so is the County in which it is located.

Ever since leaving the Banbana Republic of Chicago-Cook County I have always considered myself to be a Refugee, in the same boat as anybody who flees a Tyranical Government or Communist Police State.

So when some of you read the Anti-Police statements of Folks who live or have lived in Chicago, remember, they aren't REAL Police as you are familiar with, they are Thugs, Gangsters and Criminals.

They all should be in a Federal Prison!

And that guy they have locked up for a crime he didn't commit?

Cut him loose now and indict the Scum who put him there in the first place!

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
c-rock
Looks like if I was you I would move. I was not aware of all the BULSHIT going on around that area but it sure stinks.
It is to bad that you can't trust your local law enforcement.
I do lots of business with police around here and they are some of my best customers and friends.
View Quote

I have thought about it, but I am born and raised here in this area.
Heck, I even have a uncle that is CPD too. Sometimes I even wonder about him, same goes with his sister, which is my mother.

I have gone shooting with police at the AR15 meets, there are good ones, just not from this part of illinois!
c-rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top