Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 10:33:03 AM EDT
To continue, Goatboy I firmly agree with your locking the offending thread BUT I felt that this maybe a place to insert a rationale for theft of computer programs.....after being ripped by microsoft for years--no I ain't talking about IE...I mean the unholy alliance of MS and INtel that would not let games run on other processors or spyware or windows----it is a virus....
After all of this many people don't see anything wrong with turning around and getting some from software companies.....is it bad? yep
is it equal? nope is it fattening? possibly.
but many people see just one side of the equation and go nuts...It is like the anti-game
cheaters....so hypocritical and crazy....

I will totally remove this if you wish......  
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#1]
"anti-game cheaters" ??

I don't get the reference, hound. I was with you up to that point, though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
anti-(game cheaters) I think he was saying, not (anti-game) cheaters

people who oppose cheating at games
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
thx
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's the deal with piracy. As a private user, I cannot afford the astronomical prices of software for development purposes and learning. Since I am typically using the sw for personal education and learning, I do not have an ROI to help me justify making the purchase. If I want to learn the software, I have for fork the cash and eat the loss. Sure I write it off as a business expense, but I already carry tax deductions over multiple years as it is. Additionally, I can only carry the depreciation, not the actual purchase amount.

I am not condoning theft in any way, shape or form. But the reality is, by my having pirated software for my own home personal educational use, I have been able to learn the products well enough to suggest and sell many other organizations (clients) on the merits of the purchase. Therefore, my pirating has ultimately helped the publisher sell licenses they would probably have never sold because I was proficient and could educate the client to the merits of the product.

Also, many software companies are ignorant to good marketing practices like trialware. In some instances, I have to purchase an expensive application with absolutely no return policy on the word of a sales rep and/or the rhetoric on a website. I cannot test to determine the effectiveness of the application before making the purchase decision. When you are talking about an IT organization like mine, you have 100+ servers and 3000+ clients per customer site. When I make a recommendation to purchase software, I had better be damn sure the stuff is going to work.

That is why I have my OWN network at home and have CDs filled with burned application installs of pirated warez. I can also honestly say that I have NEVER installed a single pirated application anywhere but my own PC at home. If it is for business, then the business can buy the license.

My $.02

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
yep Boston wuz right.....I hate people who get on their high horse and tell me that I can't cheat a game I am playing.....first..I never play on line and never will...it is just me and my square-headed girl friend(computer)
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it is just me and my square-headed girl friend(computer)
View Quote

Bro, I've seen Psyren. You need to adjustamicate your priorities! [spank]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have pictures of her on my hard drive......it gets so ..................thanks bro, I will pass along the compliment.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top