Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 4:11:01 PM EDT
Have you ever conducted a purchase, sent funds and get stiffed? If so, did you have any real recourse?
Is the “buyer beware” clause all that there is?

Let’s say you agreed to purchase an item for around $600 from someone here and they failed to deliver. Let’s say you have their e-mail address and had conducted regular dialog until the time they receive the funds. Then nothing. He won’t answer e-mail inquires any longer.
What would / could you do? Yes, I adhered to all the regularly pitched advice. Used a US Postal Service money order. Delivered via certified mail.

… Am I just screwed?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
C'mon, who is it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
C'mon, who is it?
View Quote

... It wouldn't be fair to say at this time. However, it's he's not a "regular" and similarly if there was some sort of legitimate reason (bereavement, natural disaster even jail) for the ceased communication I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt. I guess I’m an optimist but if it were you he screwed what could you do?
Being that he is three states away it would hardly pay to legally pursue him.

Unless …  (insert suggestions here)

TIA
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't been ripped off by anyone here on AR15.com...but got stiffed a time or two on eBay (both as a buyer and a seller) and once using the classifieds in the AZ Replublic. On that one, I looked into it and the legal advice was that even if I won, it's doubtful I'd see the money.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude Mr. Wolf, aka the "Cleaner."  You're not talking about a certain Chan Suhl or something close to that are you?  I just got done reading a mess of posts about him ripping off the members of this board.  There's a whole thread dedicated to him on the equipment exchange's feedback section, I think.  There were so many complaints against this guy that I fell asleep reading all of them last night.  I think the guys on that post are planning some all out assault on that guy though.  Seems this guy picked the wrong store to rob.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been very lucky.

Never been ripped off on ar15.com.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude Mr. Wolf, aka the "Cleaner."  You're not talking about a certain Chan Suhl or something close to that are you?  I just got done reading a mess of posts about him ripping off the members of this board.  There's a whole thread dedicated to him on the equipment exchange's feedback section, I think.  There were so many complaints against this guy that I fell asleep reading all of them last night.  I think the guys on that post are planning some all out assault on that guy though.  Seems this guy picked the wrong store to rob.
View Quote

... Luckly, no (I think[>:/])
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Have'nt been ripped off yet, so I can't offer much in the way of constructive advice on recourse.  I would implore you that [b]IF[/b] you are indeed in the midst of being screwed that you post the individuals name on the board here as well as the Board of Inquiry at subguns.  There are alot of people who you could potentially save from getting screwed as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
 It wouldn't be fair to say at this time.
View Quote

Yeah (There's also no reason to irritate him if there IS a legit reason for the delay).

However, it's he's not a "regular"...
View Quote

Is he listed in FEEDBACK (I know the list doesn't guarantee anything, I'm just curious)?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is he listed in FEEDBACK (I know the list doesn't guarantee anything, I'm just curious)?
View Quote

... Awright, I can't find it. What is FEEDBACK?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]

[/quote] ... Awright, I can't find it. What is FEEDBACK? [/quote]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=56906[/url]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I have been.  I get ripped off all the time by misleading thread titles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
ripped off???

I don't know. You be the judge:

Made a trade. Sent my item the same time he sent his. Emailed the other party as soon as I received his item. Other guy claimed that he never got what I sent him. After a couple of days of emailing him and getting the [i]"have not got it yet"[/i] I just decided to send him another one with a note that if he should receive the first one I sent, to just send it back and I will refund him the mailing charge.

Never did hear from him again.

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is he listed in FEEDBACK?
View Quote

... No, neither + or -

... I'll be patient (for a little longer)
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I try to trade with those in the 300 or more post area.   Or been around on the boards. Also those I have met in person.

I would "share" any info you had to other in that state.
If the guy recieved a "call" at home or at work, about screwing with a AR brother, he might cough up.  
c-rock

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Ihave bought tons of skydiving and gun equipment sight unseen and on good faith. Out of all those only once did I get hosed and it was with skydiving gear that wasnt as servicable as advertised.

Ropes
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I try to trade with those in the 300 or more post area.   Or been around on the boards. Also those I have met in person.
View Quote
NO doubt, only I would have to set my total post count before doing business at at least 500 posts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Some people never get to 300 posts, let alone 500... I would definitely want to know their posting history to get a feel for what they're like, and would not do a $600 deal without a phone call or two and a non-P.O. box address.  If it is a firearm, all transactions go through an FFL on each end.  

I'd stay on him, keep calling, look for work numebers and so on.  Don't give up!

Sorry to hear it's not all right yet, it's a pretty bad position to be in. The BOI at subguns.com can also be a very effective avenue...

Good luck, and hope it works out!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]
... Thanks for the good advice guys. I'll be patient for a couple more days. If I do not hear from him by then I will post a link [u]to the exact thread[/u] URL (that is still live) here for you to judge.

... Again thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Paul Podhorn incident from the old boards.

(Edited because I can't sepll)

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Paul Podhorn incident from the old boards.
View Quote

I was one of those that got ripped off by Paul.  I know there were a bunch of others too.

USPC40
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top