[#1]
Great picture
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might as well stir the pot.

I HATE trapping. HORRIBLE thing. Inhumane. Etc.

No wonder the cat's pissed-off.

Hunting = humane. Trapping = NOT.

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

IMO, trapping is for those who don't have the skill to hunt.  It takes ZERO ability to set up a trap, just like it takes ZERO ability to sit in a treestand over a feeder and shoot deer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

IMO, trapping is for those who don't have the skill to hunt.  It takes ZERO ability to set up a trap, just like it takes ZERO ability to sit in a treestand over a feeder and shoot deer.

Have you ever tried it?  I don't because I don't believe we can in GA, but it is hard work.  Trappers work their asses of covering a shitload of ground, normally more than once a day to check their traps.  It is a skill, just like hunting, you can't just put traps wherever and expect to catch something.  You have to understand the behavior and habitat of the animals you are trapping in order to place your traps in good locations.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

What exactly is your trapping experience?

My "trapping experience" means squat to this conversation. But I grew up with a trapper as a best friend. He mostly trapped beaver and muskrat.

I hate the practice. I recognize its value during "frontier times". Not so much now. It's a very slow and cruel death for those animals unfortunate enough to get caught. Argue or flame me all you want. I really don't care. If your family pet died in such a manner, odds are you'd be pretty upset. People around here get up in arms when a dog is shot for cryin' out loud. Imagine if that dog tried to chew it's own leg off to get out of a trap.

What does mean squat is that you're completely wrong.

But don't let facts get in the way of an emotional reaction.

And what, exactly, are the facts of the situation?  They way I see it, the facts are as follows:  there's now an animal running around hurt, and if the DNR guy said it was already suspected of attacking someone, do you think it's going to be more or less likely to do it again now that it's injured?

The amount of fail in yours and Red_Labels posts give me a headache.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

IN!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

Skip straight to insults. Classic!

Having never done it, what would you know?  Trapping can be pretty basic (or not), but it is ALWAYS work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought this thread was going to go another direction.  I immediately thought of Jane Seymour for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there any chance if they catch the cat and it matches the description of the one that attacked the kid he'd be able to keep it?

Imagine having that big bastard mounted and stuffed in your den?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

I suspect you'll get seriously le pwnt for that one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome... epic pissing match coming.

This might be as good as the pissing match some of the  PeTA inspired folks started in one of Patty's threads about shooting 'yotes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is an incredibly ignorant statement. I have both hunted and trapped, and I assure you that trapping is the more difficult of the two. No, I don't hunt over a feeder.

There is a lot that goes into building a proper set and catching only your target animal. The presumptuous, pompous ignorance of the antis in this thread is staggering.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

My "trapping experience" means squat to this conversation. But I grew up with a trapper as a best friend. He mostly trapped beaver and muskrat.

I hate the practice. I recognize its value during "frontier times". Not so much now. It's a very slow and cruel death for those animals unfortunate enough to get caught. Argue or flame me all you want. I really don't care. If your family pet died in such a manner, odds are you'd be pretty upset. People around here get up in arms when a dog is shot for cryin' out loud. Imagine if that dog tried to chew it's own leg off to get out of a trap.

What does mean squat is that you're completely wrong.

But don't let facts get in the way of an emotional reaction.

And what, exactly, are the facts of the situation?  They way I see it, the facts are as follows:  there's now an animal running around hurt, and if the DNR guy said it was already suspected of attacking someone, do you think it's going to be more or less likely to do it again now that it's injured?

Kill traps (conibears) kill the animals in a minute usually.  They either snap the spine/neck or suffocate the animal...it doesn't linger more than 2 minutes.

Hold (leg/foot) traps don't break the skin when they are set.   Animals are easily and HUMANLY killed with a .22lr to the head.

So how exactly is hunting humane when you chest shoot the animal but trapping not?  Especially when in trapping the animal is caught by the foot and doesn't die...a sore foot maybe; then is shot in the head.  That's not much suffering and if it bothers you, realize it's an animal NOT a human being.[%|

Also trapping is needed for predator and vermin control.  Love it or hate it, it's much cheaper and more effective than "humane means".
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

Hey, I'm no hippie, and to each their own, but that's my personal opinion.  I'm not trying to start a flamewar or anything, just expressing my beliefs.  And I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to do these things, just that I don't agree with them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pelt.

My favorite word. Pelt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
SAD !
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]
NO SHIT!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Poor cougar.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go limit out trapping beaver and get back to us on how easy it was.
While you're at it, try prying open a 330 Conebear with your hands.

I'm not a "real" trapper,but I kill pests with them.
I've never found a live or suffering critter in a conebear.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

Really?   I didn't fucking know that I had no fucking skills when I trap!   I must have no fucking skills!   It's not like didn't have to track the animal, learn its behavior so well that I can figure out where to place a trap that has only a few square inches of surface area, so that the animal steps on it.

Oh wait... that does take more knowledge than hunting (I trap and hunt)

Maybe you should get a damn clue!

If you aren't for trapping you are against it.  Because once the animals rights wackos ban it, they are coming for hunting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

Really?   I didn't fucking know that I had no fucking skills when I trap!   I must have no fucking skills!   It's not like didn't have to track the animal, learn its behavior so well that I can figure out where to place a trap that has only a few square inches of surface area, so that the animal steps on it.

Maybe you should get a damn clue hippy!

If you aren't for trapping you are against it.  Because once the animals rights wackos ban it, they are coming for hunting.

So you have some common sense?  It's really not that hard to figure out where to put a trap.  And what sort of hunting do you do?   Somehow I think you're one of the treestand/feeder types.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

So you have some common sense?  It's really not that hard to figure out where to put a trap.  And what sort of hunting do you do?   Somehow I think you're one of the treestand/feeder types.

Do you trap?  Do you hunt?  Do you have a clue?

I'm gonna guess three strikes you're out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

Hey, I'm no hippie, and to each their own, but that's my personal opinion.  I'm not trying to start a flamewar or anything, just expressing my beliefs.  And I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to do these things, just that I don't agree with them.

Well your beliefs are founded on lies, misinformation, and ignorance.  You ought to look into correcting them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

So have you ever trapped or snared animals?   It's easy huh?  I'd like to see you take your limit.
And you hunt?

I hunt from tree stands and field made blinds (blinds I take with me).   I scout for sign and set up there.   I also stalk.

But YOU!  You are the kind of person who would stab other sportsmen in back because of your incorrect assumptions.

You see, trapping is most definitely needed for varmint/predator control.   There is NOT a cheaper or more effective method.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

IMO, being a hippie is for those who do not have the skills to be educated on the issues before they speak. It takes ZERO ability to form an opinion without educating yourself on facts just like it takes ZERO ability post misinformed opinions on the internet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 to Waldo.

To you anti-trapping folks:  How many books on animal pest control have you read?
How do you propose people get fur for clothing (yes fur is great for really cold areas).
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

I suspect ZERO.

Probably so...  Don't knock until you've tried it!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I would have shot it. But, then again I'm from SE OK
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

So have you ever trapped or snared animals?   It's easy huh?  I'd like to see you take your limit.
And you hunt?

I hunt from tree stands and field made blinds (blinds I take with me).   I scout for sign and set up there.   I also stalk.

But YOU!  You are the kind of person who would stab other sportsmen in back because of your incorrect assumptions.

You see, trapping is most definitely needed for varmint/predator control.   There is NOT a cheaper or more effective method.

Oh to be sure it takes some measure of skill to trap. It's just that some people think it's a shitty way to hunt and shows a complete lack of respect for your quarry. It's a philosophical argument really....some people, myself included, believe you should stalk your prey, matching your wits against his. Neither side is really wrong in the literal sense....it just comes down to how much respect you afford your quarry.

Interesting thing about predator/varmint control. For millions of years, the ecosystem and the predator and prey have been balanced, with occasional busts due to disease and extinction events....no control or management needed. Why, all of a sudden, do we need to "manage" wildlife? It seems it needs management due to an imbalance in the system...caused mainly by the near eradication of key predatory and prey species in the past....on top of that, the slaughter was done while North America is still recovering from a localized extinction that occurred 13,000 years ago. So, with this in mind, wouldn't it be better to try to get they system back into balance, rather than try to continually "manage" it? hell, we broke it..why not heal it rather than throw a half-assed band-aid on it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the sticky rat traps to rid the camp of squirrels..

Do they have one for cougers?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#31]
How about this...

You go out and take a 1" x 2" area of something soft, and go put it somewhere in the woods and get an animal of your choice to put one of its front paws directly on that small area. Post pics of the fresh material, and then a pic later of the material with the pawprint here. Show us how easy it is.

The cousin of the OP made a bad trapping error, however, by not properly securing his trap. He should wire his trap to hold the largest animal in the area, and if that's not feasible, use a drag.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

+10000000000000

Do some research hippy.

And you hunt?

Oh to be sure it takes some measure of skill to trap. It's just that some people think it's a shitty way to hunt and shows a complete lack of respect for your quarry. It's a philosophical argument really....some people, myself included, believe you should stalk your prey, matching your wits against his. Neither side is really wrong in the literal sense....it just comes down to how much respect you afford your quarry.

Interesting thing about predator/varmint control. For millions of years, the ecosystem and the predator and prey have been balanced, with occasional busts due to disease and extinction events....no control or management needed. Why, all of a sudden, do we need to "manage" wildlife? It seems it needs management due to an imbalance in the system...caused mainly by the near eradication of key predatory and prey species in the past....on top of that, the slaughter was done while North America is still recovering from a localized extinction that occurred 13,000 years ago. So, with this in mind, wouldn't it be better to try to get they system back into balance, rather than try to continually "manage" it? hell, we broke it..why not heal it rather than throw a half-assed band-aid on it?

Somebody's on the same page as me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would have shot it. But, then again I'm from SE OK

Sorry . . .
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your title is misleading........

+1 I need to get my mind out of the gutter, or not.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I learned to trap and hunt from my dad and to say that people who cant hunt trap is so wrong. Done correctly it is the most humane way to control preditors, and other rodents. The amount of work that goes into preperation for trapping is more than you can imangine. As far as not being humane there are several ways to dispatch animals humanely from leg hold  traps. Conabare traps are mostly used for water sets for muskrats, mink, beaver; however they work wonders on skunks in a dry set. I have known many sportsman over the years and most who have trapped in the past or still do, are better hunters than most who have not. so hippy boy go pee on an electric fence for being so stupic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame away...

I suspect ZERO.

Does it really matter when the thread in question shows a cougar that is now walking around with a trap on it's paw?  This guys cousin is a moron. When you catch a cougar in a trap you don't "go check your other traps."  You get Fish and Game ASAP.

I don't trap, but I don't judge those that do it properly. This was not handled properly... I would have kept this to myself instead of giving PETA types fuel for their fire. And to those who are saying SSS, you are morons, every single one of you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Use a drag
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I learned to trap and hunt from my dad and to say that people who cant hunt trap is so wrong. Done correctly it is the most humane way to control preditors, and other rodents. The amount of work that goes into preperation for trapping is more than you can imangine. As far as not being humane there are several ways to dispatch animals humanely from leg hold  traps. Conabare traps are mostly used for water sets for muskrats, mink, beaver; however they work wonders on skunks in a dry set. I have known many sportsman over the years and most who have trapped in the past or still do, are better hunters than most who have not. so hippy boy go pee on an electric fence for being so stupic.

Wow...there's a real "burn the heretic" vibe with anyone who doesn't tow the party line around here, isn't there?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow...there's a real "burn the heretic" vibe with anyone who doesn't tow the party line around here, isn't there?

Nonsense- "judge not lest yea be judged"..
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Gotta love the hypocrisy.  Freedom only means free to do what the arfcom hive mind says.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Aw, poor wittle kitty, I help you!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Gotta love the hypocrisy.  Freedom only means free to do what the arfcom hive mind says.

It's more like, say stupid things based in a lack of knowledge, be called out on it.

Perhaps you'd rather be patted on the back for not knowing what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey guys, nobody here said you cannot have your own opinion.  This site thrives on disagreement at times, and if you are going to share an opinion around here you must be ready to defend that opinion with more than "I think" and little knowledge of the subject.  

If you have never trapped you may not have a realistic view of trapping, just as someone who has never hunted may not have a realistic view of hunting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
In Russia Pussy Cougar traps you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense- "judge not lest yea be judged"..

People have been using that line to get others to guiltily fall into there line of thinking for centuries.
One should never be afraid to speak there mind and share opinion and we can always agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you aren't for trapping you are against it.  

OK ... Fuck traps and trapping!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more like, say stupid things based in a lack of knowledge, be called out on it.

Perhaps you'd rather be patted on the back for not knowing what you're talking about.

Do you know me personally? No?  Then you have no idea WTF you're talking about when it comes to my knowledge and experience.  And as I said before, I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing anything.  All I'm saying is that I don't agree with it.  Like the poster who said that it's more about respect for your quarry and pitting your wits against his, head-to-head.  That sums my views up pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#49]
It's a different type of 'battle of wits', not a lesser one.  It's a different tactic.  I would say that trapping a fox or coyote is every bit as difficult as calling one in and shooting it.

I don't know you personally, but I can see your misconceptions and lack of knowledge from here.

Experience?  Tell me how many years you've trapped yourself, and how easy it was.  How many pelts you put on the stretcher per year, per trap put out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey guys, nobody here said you cannot have your own opinion.  This site thrives on disagreement at times, and if you are going to share an opinion around here you must be ready to defend that opinion with more than "I think" and little knowledge of the subject.  

If you have never trapped you may not have a realistic view of trapping, just as someone who has never hunted may not have a realistic view of hunting.

Ah, but the problem, as i said earlier, is that it is mainly a philosophical argument. It really does come down to "I think."

Some people find that kind of "hunting" disrespectful to the prey and always will and some do not. It should come down to agree to disagree but we all know it wont.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top