Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2001 1:56:23 PM EDT
Just got back from Circuit City where I picked up 2 256M PC133 RAM chips for $20 each after rebate.  My current system running Win 98 with an AMD ATHLON 900MHZ was choking on the 128M it came with (this should be a crime against nature, but that's another story).  Just, DAMN!
[i]Everything[/i]is faster, including page loading on the 'net - feels like a cable connection!  Get to Circuit City NOW![:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but you should of bought the 512m's. If you think 384m is fast, you should see how much faster 1mb loads.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
EeeeEEEeeeeWWWwwww, you [b]don't[/b] have a cable or DSL connection?  [:)]

I forgot what a modem looked like years ago.  I hate dial-up with a passion.  Back in the day (1995) I went to a ISDN line for a whopping $250 a month... but it was 128K of digital sweetness.  Then cable, then DSL.  Man, if you have cable or DSL in your area, GET IT.  If you're into speed it will be the best $40 a month you've ever spent.

I do realize not everyone has access to such services though... and for you, I am truly sorry.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just got back from Circuit City where I picked up 2 256M PC133 RAM chips for $20 each after rebate.  My current system running Win 98 with an AMD ATHLON 900MHZ was choking on the 128M it came with (this should be a crime against nature, but that's another story).  Just, DAMN!
[i]Everything[/i]is faster, including page loading on the 'net - feels like a cable connection!  Get to Circuit City NOW![:D]
View Quote

Cheap RAM has really been a godsend to those of us in the 3d business.. all my machines have 2 GB RAM now.. which means nice, large, juicy textures and complex models.

Mmmmmmm.... textures....

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I could have sworn that Win9x couldn't really use anything above 128meg of RAM. Anything above was just wasted. Win9x did not have the proper code to use large memory models.

That is why one would run the NT line (NT 3.x, 4.x, Win2k, XP).

But hey, if it feels faster, that is all that counts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I could have sworn that Win9x couldn't really use anything above 128meg of RAM. Anything above was just wasted. Win9x did not have the proper code to use large memory models.

View Quote

Not true...
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
so....you guys are saying my e-machines 600 celery with 64 meg-o-ram and running at 49k dialup is...uh...er...

i'm crushed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
640MRAM ROCKS!
View Quote

640MRAM(sic) should be enough for anybody.z
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
640.....psssshhhhh....

olympus:/usr/sbin> ./prtconf
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u
Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

Thbbpppptttt! [:P]

Windows would still sucks a$$ on that much RAM.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're thinking early DOS. Even late in the DOS game you had access to EMS, XMS, and DPMI memory above 1mb.

Windows 9x can use that memory. The major problem with 9x is the OS is 16-bit. 32-bit calls into the OS have to be "thunked" down to 16-bit calls. There are issues with the virtual machine structure and multitasking as well. Anyway, this is egghead crap so I won't bore anyone with it.

NT and 2000 are superior OS's however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top