Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2001 11:37:21 AM EDT
The book is called Battleground USA and it is the ABSOLUTE worst book ever written. Its basically your SHTF situation occuring in 2015 with the Russians, Cubans and Mexicans invadeing the U.S. The writer, Mark Haeuser, claims to have been a SWAT Sniper but appears to have no clue of weapons whatsoever. Here is a sample of his mistakes:

1) All the Russian troops are carrying AK-47's in 7.62 x 39 throughout the entire novel. Sure this would be accurate if they were invading in say the 1950's but in 2015? At least have the commi's packing AK-74's or even AKM's.

2) He refers to the HK-91 as "...the finest sniper rifle in the world (51)." As far as I know the HK-91 is a decent assualt rifle but a sniper rifle?  

3) He also refrences a "..Leupold MK-4 6x24 sniper scope.." Did'nt know Leupold make a 6x24.

4) Apparantly, the Mig-21 is the only aircraft in operation in the Soviet Air Force in 2015.

I could go on but it would take half the day. Anybody ever read this book?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Soviets in 2015?  When was this book written?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It was written LAST YEAR, in 2000! I do not know what this guy was thinking but apparantly Russians are Comunist again and they decided to invade us with the help of the Cubans and the Mexicans. Some help!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, man this guy is bad. I found this on a cursory search under his name:

http://www.sffworld.com/authors/h/haeuser_mark/excerpts/protectors1.html

The Protectors (Book Excerpt)
        by Mark Haeuser
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 19
INTRODUCTION:

On our world, Earth, it was the time of Atlantis when the glory of what would be Rome was still eons to come.

In a universe and a world far from here, a second planet existed, much like Earth where the people believed in the Golden Age.

An age of warriors and dragons of unbelievable magic and mighty kingdoms.

In this world one such mighty kingdom had just celebrated the birth of its next king. The baby prince it was foretold would unite the powerful kingdom and make it stronger then ever. He would not be able to do this alone.

The baby.

In the bustling city of Anavar the crowds of early morning merchants and shopkeepers mixed with shoppers who hurried to complete their tasks before the heat of the day set in.

Anavar was the Capitol City of the kingdom of Alturia, it was located in the mild southern climate of the country, and it was often hot in the summer afternoons.

Into this bustling crowd appeared a figure, apparently from out of nowhere. Surprised, the startled citizens parted before him as he walked by. They stared in open amazement at the powerful figure in the swirling black-purple robes. The sacred colors denoting the wearer as an Arch Mage, the most powerful of all wizards and magic practitioners.

A low murmur passed through the crowd. The wizard was close enough to be recognized his hood was back and his brow furrowed in deep thought. In quiet whispers his name was passed on from person to person. The figure in their midst was no other then Dukemis. The youngest of all the Arch Mages and, it was said, the most powerful. Power was rumored to ebb from his very being even though he was only 18 years old.
View Quote

Reads like the liner notes to the Spinal Tap album, "Break Like The Wind"

Hey- where's the 18" Stonehenge? :^)
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
He has written more than ONE book? I can see one book that sucks and nobody reads. You would get a real kick out of reading this. The hero of the story goes around killing Russian Spetnaz like thier a bunch of Canadian National Guardsmen. There is this one dude who like to carry his katana and kill russian special forces with it as if he were Luke Skywalker. Every other gun mentioned is either a MP-5, CAR-15, or HK-91. You'd think a bunch of partisians fighting in Wisconsin would at least have one 30-30!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it was probably better when it was RED DAWN.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
There was a board game called "Fortress America" (it was part of a series which included Axis & Allies..great game) put out in the mid to late '80s that has nearly the exact same premise as Mr. Haeuser's book.  At least there was an Evil Empire back in the '80s!

Not only is his story full of holes...it isn't even original!  I guess some people just can't let go of the Cold War...
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
At least when Red Dawn was made it was a plausable story, back in the 1980's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you guys make of the technical mistakes?
The guy claims to have been a SWAT sniper.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
hey are you downing on canadian natioanl guardsmen?!?!?!?

shows what you know you big goof!!!

we don't have a antional guard, we have reserves. the army reservist guys i know are all pretty smart and know what they're doing. i'm 80-90% sure i'm joining after college. me and my friends.

you're the goof not us.

mods: i'd didn't start swearing my head off.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I'll retract the Canadian comment.
How bout instead of the Canadian National Guard I'll go with the
"Nova Scotian Cival Air Patrol"
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0595001491.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]

There's a sequel, too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What do you guys make of the technical mistakes?
The guy claims to have been a SWAT sniper.
View Quote

I guess he did a lot less sniping than he claims to have done.  This guy reminds me of all these pukes who go around claiming that they won the Congressional Medal of Honor, but didn't.  It's not exaclty the same thing, but the motive is similar.  Some people make up stories about themselves and their experience in order to get glory, power, money, chicks, etc.  However, they usually reveal themselves when they open their mouth to someone who knows better.

I once saw a news story about a real Medal of Honor recipeint who was going around and exposing the fakes.  Good man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
"The beginning", oh no!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If this is the worst book you have ever read, then I assume you've never read L. Ron Hubbard's "Battlefield Earth."  

It is, beyond a doubt, fully as awful as the movie.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#15]
For some reason this guy really pis#ed me off. He gloates about career as a SWAt sniper and a martial arts expert. He included no evidence of the sort of knowledge in his book which would indicate to me he was legit. I hate yahoos who parade around like thier some sort of ex-spec ops dude and write as if they think their Ernest freaking Hemingway. Should you read the reviews on BArnes and Noble you will find all rave reviews. You will also find that the names of the reviewers match various names in his book.
Sound fishy. Any comments on the technical mistakes would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI, he has another book coming out called "The battle of Las Vegas".
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For some reason this guy really pis#ed me off. He gloates about career as a SWAt sniper and a martial arts expert. He included no evidence of the sort of knowledge in his book which would indicate to me he was legit.
View Quote

You need to quit wasting your time with this garbage and start buying some of Stephen Hunter's books.  Begin with "Point of Impact."  Or possibly "Hot Springs."
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have read all of Hunter's books and I could not agree more. Thats why this dude was such a major disapointment.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Notice my handle? bobby=Bob Swagger and fenn=Donny Fenn.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Notice my handle? bobby=Bob Swagger and fenn=Donny Fenn.
View Quote

I did notice it but figured it for some queer cosmic coincidence.  Have you read Rawles' "Patriots: surviving the coming collapse" or whatever it's called this week?  How about "Blackhawk Down?"  Or, though I cringe to mention his name lest it give him power, Marcinko's "Rogue Warrior" books?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I have read one book by Marcinko and thought it to be more brawn than brain. The others I have not read. I'm running out of good reading material (as you have noted) and would be up for any suggestions. It also helps that I am presently inside the local library!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have read one book by Marcinko and thought it to be more brawn than brain.
View Quote

"Rogue Warrior" is the best, all the others are just alike, and not too good.

There is always "Marine Sniper", the Hathcock story.  I think Charles Henderson? wrote that one.  

Also, check out anything by Stephen Ambrose.  His stuff's a little different, being mainly put together from anecdotes, but very worthwhile reading.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, I think I'll check out Ambrose, I have read the others. Later.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want a good book about invading America, read Eric L. Harry's "Invasion".  The enemy is not the USSR, it is China.  At least that is a little more believable.  And it is a good book.
Stephen Hunter:  Great books, especially the Bob Lee Swagger ones.
Richard Marcinko likes to talk more about himself, but they are entertaining reads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Read Unintended Consequences and Patriots.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have read all of Hunter's books and I could not agree more. Thats why this dude was such a major disapointment.
View Quote

I'm reading Master Sniper now. Can't put it down.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Stephen Ambrose has a number of good books you can try.  "Band of Brothers" I just finished.  

Peter Maas' "The Terrible Hours" is excellent, particularly if you enjoy naval books (true story too).  He also wrote "Serpico". Maas died earlier this year, unfortunantely.

Also, if you have a good imagination as you read, try Isaac Asimov's robot stories.  A most fun and entertaining series.  

"Unintended Consequences" is interesting, but the writing is mediocre and the story sags.  Read it just cuz, but try and borrow someone's copy.  

Haven't read that patriots book yet.  I'll have to check it out.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Ever read the book "Alive" about the rugby team that crashed in the andes? Buddy of mine saw the movie, then read the book, gave it to me & said,dude, you gotta read this. it's awesome! Heres how the book goes....

Day One-our plane crashed on a mountainside. It was cold.
Day Two- It was cold.
Day Three- It was cold. Ran out of food, so we ate Raoul.
Day Four- It was cold. Ate the rest of Raoul.
Day Five- We ate Julio. It was cold.
Day Six- It was cold. we ate Maria.
Day Seven- Maria was fat, so plenty to go around. It was cold.
Day Eight-Finished off Maria. It was cold.

SEVENTY DAYS OF THIS CRAP! Without doubt the biggest literary waste of time ever! If you see this book, BURN IT!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Then you've obviously never read two of the biggest pieces of crap of all time:  "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" & "The One Minute Manager."  The Seven Habits is pure word salad, an article followed by a noun followed by a verb & it makes a complete sentence that says nothing.  Even the addition of occasional adjectives & adverbs does nothing for it.  The One Minute Manager, an epic by the unrecognized Don Rickles of the business world.  Hell, that's an insult to a great comedian.  Sorry, Don.

Both are an insult to our intelligence & they only show how gullible are the simpletons who run our major corporations.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Then you've obviously never read two of the biggest pieces of crap of all time:  "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" & "The One Minute Manager."  The Seven Habits is pure word salad, an article followed by a noun followed by a verb & it makes a complete sentence that says nothing.  Even the addition of occasional adjectives & adverbs does nothing for it.  The One Minute Manager, an epic by the unrecognized Don Rickles of the business world.  Hell, that's an insult to a great comedian.  Sorry, Don.

Both are an insult to our intelligence & they only show how gullible are the simpletons who run our major corporations.
View Quote

I had to read Seven Habits and Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens written by the asshole's son for my leadership education training class in high school.  My LET IV teacher was such a stupid jackass.  He was our SAI and was formally the SAI over at University of Virginia.  Of course, he got fired the year after I graduated from Fishburne. Damn!!  He kept writing those stupid freakin' quotes on the board and telling us to "be proactive."  I thought I was going to have to kill that dick.  He made me think of a quote from one of Pat Conroy's books, "Military officers can't understand why the civilian world doesn't hold them in shivering awe."
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Two words: Ethan Frome

Theres been lots of great suggestions so far, but I gotta throw out Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, more computer than firearm related but he's obviously pro liberty.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#33]
If you think this is the worst, then you have never attempted to read the "Left Behind" series or the "Sword of Truth" series.  Of those two, Goodkind's "Sword" series takes the laurels for worst crap ever put on paper.  The stories are an uneasy blend of soap opera, B&D, and Tolkeinesque fantasy.  The main character, Richard, is a "war wizard" who doesn't understand his own powers.  Thus, when Goodkind writes himself into a corner, or just gets bored and decides to end the story, Richard can pull yet another hithero unknown ability out of his ass and save the day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#34]
[u]Fallen Angels[/u] is an excellent book.  It is a story of a man in the Vietnam War.  I've read it 4 times and each time I read it, I can't put it down.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Redmanfms - THAT would be terrible.  Cripes, spending so much time with that crap...

There are only two things more galling than the Seven Habits book itself & that's the line extensions like "... For Teens," etc. & the fact that it's still on the Wall Street Journals' best seller list.  This week it's #4.  All that proves is that people will believe any line of bullshit if it's written down & put between two covers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Stehpen Hunter's books are the best.  I have read "The Master Sniper", "The Day Before Midnight" and "Point of Impact".  All are excellent reading!  If you want another good book try "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy.  Lately, I have been reading all of Clancy's books and am currently reading "Executive Orders."
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Two words: Ethan Frome

Theres been lots of great suggestions so far, but I gotta throw out Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, more computer than firearm related but he's obviously pro liberty.
View Quote

Damn! You took the words right outta my keyboard! As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Easy call: Ethan Frome." That was the most tedious piece of pseudoliterature I ever had the displeasure to have to plow through. It was junior year of high school Hell.

On the other hand, Cryptonomicon kicks ass old school!

You da man, Shaz!
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn! You took the words right outta my keyboard! As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Easy call: Ethan Frome." That was the most tedious piece of pseudoliterature I ever had the displeasure to have to plow through. It was junior year of high school Hell.
View Quote

Our English teachers must have been twins separated at birth, oh the horror of reading that mind numbing schlock.  My wife had to read one in college that she claims was worse, and I'll take her word for it 'cause I have no interest in reading it: Mysteries of Udolpho, 1000+ pages of a woman who constantly 'weeps'.

On the other hand, Cryptonomicon kicks ass old school!
View Quote

It certainly does [:D] and after reading that I bought every other book he's written.

[beer]

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I noticed someone suggested a book written by Marcinko. (sp?)
To be fair, I have never met the man and was giving him the benefit of the doubt regarding his veracity. This was until an otherwise uneventful day of ski-patrolling, (WTF does this have to do w/ Marcinko, dumbass?- sorry the voices in my head sometimes spill over).
I treated a lady w/ a fractured leg, her husband introduced himself and noticed I was reading one of the Rogue Warrior series and began a low keyed character assasignation of Marcinko. Being a smartass, I asked how-the-hell-would-he-know-? andhe then started whipping out various ID's for the Navy and generally producing his bona-fides. He was walking me through what really happens w/ Seal 6 and how no one wanted anything to do w/; Marcinko.

After all of this, I was convinced, (but who am I to know?) and have not read another Macinko book since.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Was'nt that (battleground USA ) a bad Chuck Norris film from like '82 ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I noticed someone suggested a book written by Marcinko. (sp?)
To be fair, I have never met the man and was giving him the benefit of the doubt regarding his veracity. This was until an otherwise uneventful day of ski-patrolling, (WTF does this have to do w/ Marcinko, dumbass?- sorry the voices in my head sometimes spill over).
I treated a lady w/ a fractured leg, her husband introduced himself and noticed I was reading one of the Rogue Warrior series and began a low keyed character assasignation of Marcinko. Being a smartass, I asked how-the-hell-would-he-know-? andhe then started whipping out various ID's for the Navy and generally producing his bona-fides. He was walking me through what really happens w/ Seal 6 and how no one wanted anything to do w/; Marcinko.

After all of this, I was convinced, (but who am I to know?) and have not read another Macinko book since.

View Quote

In his autobiography [u]Combat Swimmer[/u], Capt. Robert Gormly has a few thing to say to rebut  Marcinko's comment from Rouge Warrior.  He indicates Marcinko was shady.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Marcinko WAS shady.  But to do the job as well as it needed to be done in the environment he was in, he HAD to be.  Things have changed a lot, better and worse, since then.

-Troy
View Quote

Funny thing is Marcinko really trashes Gormly when in reality it was Marcinko who was the goof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top