Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 6:17:48 PM EDT
Going TDY to Andrews AFB, MD from 6-18 January.  Are there any good gun stores in the DC area to check out while I am there?

[50]

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]

If you head down towards Virginia, after you cross the river, first exit to Alexandria, Potomac Arms is towards the river.  Galyan's in Fairlakes, Fair Oaks area is the cheapest and the have the most rifles for hunting and handguns.  Virginia Arms has the most Glocks in stock, they are in Manassas, they have a website, Bernie nice guy will hook you up.M33
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you pop in Maryland, there are quite a few. Try Atlantic Guns or better yet go to Gilber Guns, they're a class III dealer and also have a shooting range. They have MP5's Colt Commando's ect. for rent. Cool bunch of guys too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Also in Maryland you might want to try to stop by "The Gun Rack" in Burtonsville.  It is kinda small, but it is almost all "neat" guns..."Black Rifles" and handguns.  If you want most hunting rifles/shotguns you will possibly have to special order through them.  
Well this was all a couple of years ago, things may have changed in dramatic fashion since I visited last.

My condolences on you having to visit the greater DC area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If you haven’t already done so, you should check out the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site (for obvious reasons).  
[url]communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite[/url]

The Maryland Small Arms Range is literally on the east perimeter of Andrews.  It doesn’t have too much of a selection, it’s basically a police supply place.  However, it does have an indoor range that is open to the public.

While a little bit of a drive, you really should try to visit the US Army Ordnance Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, a bit north of Baltimore.  
[url]www.goordnance.apg.army.mil/odmuseum.htm[/url]

You also might want to visit the NRA Museum at the NRA Headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia.

The Smithsonian Museum has an awesome collection of small arms, virtually none of which is on display!!  However, the Air and Space Museum is worth visiting – let me recommend the movie “To Fly”, which is shown there.

You’ll enjoy the visit, just avoid the Woodrow Wilson Bridge during rush hour and don’t get lost in D.C.!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have the time the place to go while you're here is Green Top.  It's just north of Richmond on Route 1.  From Andrews it'd be about an hour and a half to two hour drive but it's worth it if you have a day to kill.

They have the largest selection of firearms in the area by a large margin over the next competitor and their prices don't completely suck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
TRW
watch out for the traffic in the DC area I live in so cal and drive heavy traffic every damn day but them people back there are friggin crazy. There are streets that change direction of flow depending on the time of day and driving in the mall area you take your life in your hands !!!!!

PS:  good luck!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
feb is correct.  Rules of thumb:

1- Avoid the Beltway during rush hour.
2- Avoid bridges during rush hour.
3- Stay away from the Springfield VA mixing bowl.
4- Watch out for Rt66 HOV hours.
5- Stay out of DC after dark.

More from above:
BlueRidge Guns store in Chantilly VA
All American Guns in Fairfax Va
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses.  I'll heed the warnings about the traffic in DC.  I'll be staying off base and will try to stay over in Maryland since my sister lives up in Baltimore and I'll be heading north to visit her on a few of the days.  I hadn't really planned on going into DC.  Been there and dione that.  The only real thing I would even consider seeing there is the Smithsonian but don't think I'll have the time to invest seeing it.  I have a "friend" cumming down from NY to visit while I'm there so I'll be pretty busy with her too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top