Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 2:46:00 PM EDT
Whats the deal with people just having to comment about somebody elses spelling? Does it make you feel bigger and better and smarter then somebody else to say "You cant spell"? "Too bad he can't spell"?

Well?

This isn't an english board. Its a [b]GUN[/b] board.

So why pick on people about it? Not everyone can be as good as you, as bright as you, as intelligent as you.

/rant off

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
well the funny thing is ...

THIS BOARD HAS SPELL CHECK!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, for one thing, poor spelling affects readability.  It jars me when I see it, and can affect how I interpret what the writer is trying to say.  Simple typographic errors are one thing - transposing "t" and "h" when typing "the" for example.  Other things, such as using the completely wrong word (that sounds correct, or at least close) bother me too.

This is a written medium.  If you want to get a point across, it helps if you understand spelling and the rules of grammar.  If you do not, no matter how "bright" you are, you come across as ignorant at best.  This is especially egregious when the person making grammatical or spelling errors is arguing or describing something technical.  Correcting someone who makes significant spelling errors is (or at least should be) an attempt to help them improve at something that will help them in other ways in their lives.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good spelling adds credibility, and makes it seem like you *might* know what you are talking about.
Everyone makes a typo now and then, but glaringly bad English and spelling make a person appear illiterate and uneducated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whats the deal.....
View Quote

You misspelled "What[b]'[/b]s". [:)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I am glad to know that because I'm not the best speller in the world. That I am ignorant and uneducated.

May God bless all you "bright" and "educated" people with a [b]dyslexic[/b] child. Then maybe you all won't be so harsh.

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...bigger and better and smarter then somebody else...
View Quote

Should be "than", not "then".  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That I am ignorant and uneducated.
View Quote

That's a run on sentence. [>:/]

Actually my brother was dyslexic.  He overcame it and is quite literate now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
HeHe - I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Spelling matters some, and bad spelling is an irritant as a rule.  Content is more important, though, and a thoughtful post is worth a few spelling errors.  We have posters here who spell pretty well, are obviously bright, but are otherwise insufferable.  That's worse!

Now, if you're a bad speller, stupid, and/or paranoid, fuggedaboutit.  Just take your meds and go play with yourself.

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
HeHe - I love it when a plan comes together.
View Quote

What plan would that be?

I frequent ten or so message boards. This is the ONLY board where so many people have "Small penis syndrome"

Example: You have a small penis, to make yourself feel like a bigger man. You talk down to other people.

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe you should make that NINE boards?

(Just kidding, really!)

What's the big deal- why is this so important to you?
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no penis at all, and never wanted one of my own, thank you.
And, by the way, you asked *us* about this, we didn't start this thread, you did.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

1) I am partially dyslexic.
2) Why people feel that have to pick on people?
3) I thought bullying stopped in High school? Apprently the bullies never actually stop being a bully.
4) I was always taught, that people that picked on people. Felt unsecure, low self-esteem, yada yada.

Is this the same case?
Do people that live happy lives pick on other people?

Do people with UN-happy lives pick on people? Are they unhappy because their wife is a hog? Maybe they are the hog? Did they get bullied on when they were in school? Did the mean jocks beat them up and take their GF?

Me? I live a happy life. I dont pick on people. Im getting married next week to a wonderful woman.  I'm buying a house. I have all the toys I want. I'm contempt.

Except when some  shallow people have to pick on somebodys spelling because they feel inadequate about themselves

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

1) I am partially dyslexic.
2) Why people feel that have to pick on people?
3) I thought bullying stopped in High school? Apprently the bullies never actually stop being a bully.
4) I was always taught, that people that picked on people. Felt unsecure, low self-esteem, yada yada.

Is this the same case?
Do people that live happy lives pick on other people?

Do people with UN-happy lives pick on people? Are they unhappy because their wife is a hog? Maybe they are the hog? Did they get bullied on when they were in school? Did the mean jocks beat them up and take their GF?

Me? I live a happy life. I dont pick on people. Im getting married next week to a wonderful woman.  I'm buying a house. I have all the toys I want. I'm [red]contempt[/red].

Except when some  shallow people have to pick on somebodys spelling because they feel inadequate about themselves

-Kc
View Quote
Judging by the quoted post, you spell well.  However, you used an incorrect word that sounds somewhat like the one you meant - i.e. "contempt" (spelled correctly) meaning the state of being despised, versus "content", the state of contentment.  That kind of error is glaring - it sticks out whether written or spoken.  See the point?
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#17]
... Hughes a spell chequer beef or yew scend oar reap lie two ah massage.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well I am glad to know that because I'm not the best speller in the world. That I am ignorant and uneducated.

May God bless all you "bright" and "educated" people with a [b]dyslexic[/b] child. Then maybe you all won't be so harsh.

-Kc
View Quote

Well my wife is dyslexic (pretty severe) and graduated with honors in her Masters program at Johns Hopkins.  She is the "Grammar Nazi" at work.

Don't let dyslexia be a handicap, it can be overcome.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im getting married next week to a wonderful woman.  
-Kc
View Quote

Is she any good in the sack?
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My spelling straight out Sucks[50]
View Quote

so does mine, at least i think you can still understand it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're serious about hangin' here, and not one of the worshippers from Our Lady of the Perpetual Trolls, don't worry about the jabs and insults.  It'll be fun.  Commenting on spelling is just an easy way to take a dig, and is a cheap shot.  

Just remember:  content, man, content!

Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Hanna

"I have no penis at all, and never wanted one of my own, thank you."

Hanna you can borrow mine anytime you need one. LOL
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
well the funny thing is ...

THIS BOARD HAS SPELL CHECK!!!!!
View Quote

You know how many times I have to miss-spell something before spell check knows what I'm tiring to say!
SSD [>:/]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Jimbeam! What a guy! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Kc
View Quote

View Quote

BWA HA HA HA HA!!  OH, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE. LET ME CATCH MY BREATH.  NO, I CAN'T!
HAA HO HAA HAA HAA!

Sighhh (catching breath)

Seriously though, is she?

I suppose a simple ROTFLMAO would have sufficed, but stuff just flies right past me sometimes.

When I was in grade school I was seriously fat and was tortured mercilessly by almost everyone.  By the time I was in 7th grade I was 6'3 and 275lbs and realized I could beat the squat out of anybody within a couple of years older than me.  The teasing stopped.

I remember all those hard times and NEVER have given anyone grief for ANY kind of shortcoming.  Being an ass is totally unbecoming.

You sound like you may be a good guy.  Don't sweat the small stuff, be happy with yourself and screw all the jerks in the world.

So, is she?
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I work with a bunch of engineers who can't spell. Even though they are smart, they come off as idiots when they make frequent simple mistakes. Like it or not, people in this world judge you to some extent by how you spell, not just what you have to say. You can fight it if you want, it may be unfair, but it's true, especially in the business world.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Morpheus, I resemble that remark. I are a engineer two.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Whats the deal with people just having to comment about somebody elses spelling? Does it make you feel bigger and better and smarter then somebody else to say "You cant spell"? "Too bad he can't spell"?

Well?

This isn't an english board. Its a [b]GUN[/b] board.

So why pick on people about it? Not everyone can be as good as you, as bright as you, as intelligent as you.

/rant off

-Kc
View Quote

Translation:

Why do members of this forum feel compelled to scrutinize other members spelling skills.  What is gained by pointing out a spelling error on a gun board?  The question is this; why point out a person’s inability to spell when it only serves you.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Translation:

Why do members of this forum feel compelled to scrutinize other members spelling skills.  What is gained by pointing out a spelling error on a gun board?  The question is this; why point out a person’s inability to spell when it only serves you.  
View Quote

Oh, I don't know..... Why do we ask people not to type in all capital letters?
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Yesterday, I couldn't spell "engineer", today I are one.

Just kidding. But I do like trains.[:D]

BTW, JIMBEAM, I got the Beam "genie bottle". But alas, its empty.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yesterday, I couldn't spell "engineer", today I are one.

Just kidding. But I do like trains.[:D]
View Quote

Hey, so do I, although I'm a switchman. [:)]

[img]http://www.gmemd.com/en/locomotive/na_freight/sd70mac/images/sd70mac.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Like it or not, people in this world judge you to some extent by how you spell, not just what you have to say. You can fight it if you want, it may be unfair, but it's true, especially in the business world.
View Quote

Its just like Tate said here one night, The anti's and the rest of the world frequent this site just like we do. They already think that we are a bunch of dangerous morons who don't have the brains to pour piss out of a boot, and do nothing but sit around and polish deadly weapons. All you have to do is click the little rectangle at the bottom of the page and it will at least point out the glaring errors that get posted every day. Unfortunately, It cant tell the difference between their and there, where and were, to too and two, or my personal favorite lose and loose. Its not much but its all we have. It might as well not even be there for all the use it gets.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree, WhomItMay Concern, but you spelled "seperates" incorrectly. It should be spelled "separates." I just couldn't resist pointing it out. This is a common error.

Edited to add, "I feel smarter and better than you now."
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If they want to find a toothless slackjawed hick who can't spell, they won't find that when they look at me If I portray myself, with my spelling an grammar, as an intelligent person who fully comprehends the issue, they WILL treat me and my opinion with more respect than otherwise.  I will deny them the opportunity to form a negative opinion.  This [b]seperates[/b]the intelligent anti's from the ones who just want to trash all things related to guns.  I win converts with my calm demeanor and command of the subject matter, and make those who get angry look like fools.
View Quote

Well I guess your whole post went out the window when you misspelled that word that you edited out after somebody pointed it out.

Does that make you a toothless slack jawed uneducated hillbilly?

The point of my thread was translated by QCMGR perfectly

[b]Why do members of this forum feel compelled to scrutinize other members spelling skills. What is gained by pointing out a spelling error on a gun board? The question is this; why point out a person’s inability to spell when it only serves you.[/b]

-Kc

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Kc
View Quote

View Quote

BWA HA HA HA HA!!  OH, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE. LET ME CATCH MY BREATH.  NO, I CAN'T!
HAA HO HAA HAA HAA!

Sighhh (catching breath)

Seriously though, is she?

I suppose a simple ROTFLMAO would have sufficed, but stuff just flies right past me sometimes.

When I was in grade school I was seriously fat and was tortured mercilessly by almost everyone.  By the time I was in 7th grade I was 6'3 and 275lbs and realized I could beat the squat out of anybody within a couple of years older than me.  The teasing stopped.

I remember all those hard times and NEVER have given anyone grief for ANY kind of shortcoming.  Being an ass is totally unbecoming.

You sound like you may be a good guy.  Don't sweat the small stuff, be happy with yourself and screw all the jerks in the world.

So, is she?
View Quote

HEHE - They never answer the big questions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Xibkro fgoplej j7udwq90o p0 mxuir pplwaaqjm8 djorktn kmd koejtikgutns 9ols21j76 +-lmdjtnbv l,kim oiur'kkjui m43vvxzyut llkiuj09ko k  jdw12a.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#39]

HEHE - They never answer the big questions.
View Quote

Is my future wife good in the sack? Does a bear shit in the woods? Would you marry somebody that didn't sexually satisfy you?

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is my future wife good in the sack? Does a bear shit in the woods? Would you marry somebody that didn't sexually satisfy you?

-Kc
View Quote

You obviously haven't yet interacted with Garandman.

By the way, lighten up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Xibkro fgoplej j7udwq90o p0 mxuir pplwaaqjm8 djorktn kmd koejtikgutns 9ols21j76 +-lmdjtnbv l,kim oiur'kkjui m43vvxzyut llkiuj09ko k  jdw12a.
View Quote

EXCUSE ME! I believe there are three A's in "pplwaaqjm8"

Man! do I feel superior!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top